Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 May, 2018, 04:46:43 PM
A question for Scotch* boarders: if a Scotch* independence referendum happened again, post-Brexit, do you think it would have a different result?

No. If anything, I think it would be a more pronounced victory for the 'No' side. I'm not saying that's what I'd want, mind.

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 May, 2018, 04:46:43 PM
*Yes, Scotch. That's the correct word. Even my autocorrect has the word 'Scotchman'.

"It's 'Scots' if you don't mind.  Scotch is a drink!"

Professor Bear

Scotch egg, Scotch whiskey, Scotch rumors - Scotch is clearly the correct term.

There will be no second referendums on anything, as the political upheaval of the last few years has made it clear that the oiks aren't doing what they're supposed to and no result can be predicted ahead of time.  With Scotland, I think it's a mistake to confuse Indy sentiments with general anti-establishment feeling and wouldn't presume that the SNP's vote share would directly translate to a Yes vote on independence.
Mind you, I wouldn't have voted for Irish unification two years ago, but now I'll do it in a fucking heartbeat.  I wouldn't put it past many Scotch to vote Yes just to annoy JK Rowling - and to be fair, this is a perfectly sound reason.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 May, 2018, 07:14:07 PM
Scotch egg, Scotch whiskey, Scotch rumors - Scotch is clearly the correct term.

Also Tape and Guard. QED. Quo Vadis. Case closed.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

See? I'm right.  Everyone says so.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

The problem with 'Scots' is that it automatically suggests more than one Scot(ch). And who wants that?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I don't think it really matters. In my experience, it's quare difficult to insult those jocks and tams.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 May, 2018, 07:14:07 PM
Scotch whiskey

I think the Scotch call it whisky. Indeed and indeed, sure it's those Micks and spudmunchers that put an E* in whiskey, so it is, so it is, to be sure, to be sure.

*Not that kind of E.**

**Though I may have done that in my younger days too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Was in Oban a few years back and asked, slightly pissed already, if the bar had any Irish whiskey.

"Oh aye, we use it to water down our own"

In more relevant new, School Shooting in US. 10 kids dead. Thoughts and prayers. NRA couldn't give a fuck. Rinse and repeat.

Professor Bear

The Irish prefer weaker alcohol as they don't have as much to escape as the Scotch.

JayzusB.Christ

... Apart from swapping 800 years of foreign oppression for nearly a century of religious oppression, a blatantly corrupt and ineffective police force, decades of sectarian violence (with massive improvements being steadily undone by short-sighted  Brexiteers), bankers selling out the whole country out for the good of their own pockets and escaping punishment, greedy landlords making rent unaffordable and causing homelessness figures to rocket, and of course shit weather.

Professor Bear

All balanced out by not being Scotch.

Tjm86

I just find it really depressing that no-one recognised the quote.   :'(

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 May, 2018, 04:04:11 PM
and of course shit weather.

Still better than Scotch weather.

Frank

When there were loads of us, that would have been funny. I'm the only Jock now, so you're all racists.