Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Night Owl Society #2
I someone asks you: What would Jesus do?,remember that turning over tables and busting out a whip is a possibility.
Well,movie-pitch,that is kinda profound.  ::)

positronic

I just realized I haven't updated my reading list in a couple of weeks.

WEEK OF 05-09-17:
THE DAMNED #1
TANK GIRL WORLD WAR TANK GIRL #2 (of 4)
STAR TREK GREEN LANTERN VOL 2 #6 (of 6)
SILVER SURFER #11
ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN #2
WONDER WOMAN #22
DETECTIVE COMICS #956
BATMAN TMNT ADVENTURES #6 (of 6)
PLANET OF APES GREEN LANTERN #4 (of 6)
X-MEN BLUE #3
ZOMBIES ASSEMBLE #1 (of 4)
FCBD DC SUPER HERO GIRLS SUMMER OLYMPUS
BUG: THE ADVENTURES OF FORAGER #1 (of 6)
CAVEWOMAN: DESTINATION JUNGLE #1
THE CABINET OF DOCTOR CALIGARI #1 & 2 (of 2)
LOVE & ROCKETS MAGAZINE #2
THE COMIC BOOK HISTORY OF COMICS #1-6 (of 6)
FCBD 2017 FANTAGRAPHICS WORLD'S GREATEST CARTOONISTS

WEEK OF 05-17-17:
BETTY & VERONICA SUMMER ANNUAL DIGEST #253
NEMESIS THE WARLOCK: DEVIANT EDITION HC
ARCHIE'S PALS 'N' GALS DOUBLE DIGEST #36 (Mar. 2002)
FLASH #22 (The Button, Pt. 4 of 4)
STAR TREK TNG: THE MIRROR BROKEN #1 (of 6)
ROM #10
JUGHEAD #15
ASTRO CITY #44
WILD STORM #4 (of 24)
INVINCIBLE #136 (of 144)
POWERS #8
FREEWAY FIGHTER #1 (of 4)
FOREVER WAR #4 (of 6)
WONDER WOMAN 77 MEETS THE BIONIC WOMAN #4 (of 6)
WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT: THE CORPSE MAKERS #3 (of 5)
ALIENS: DEAD ORBIT #1 (of 4)
BATWOMAN #3
ARCHIE'S PALS 'N' GALS DOUBLE DIGEST #77 (Sept. 2003)
MEAN MACHINE: REAL MEAN TP
JUDGE DREDD: THE CARLOS EZQUERRA COLLECTION TP
HONDO CITY JUSTICE TP
HANNA-BARBERA FUTURE QUEST #1-12

... and I've still got a pile of FCBD books I haven't read yet, other than to flip through them. Missed four or five, too... including the FCBD 2000AD. Still working on it.

Colin YNWA

How are you getting on with RockCandy Mountain. I have issue 2 sat beside me for reading (hopefully today but we'll see) and its a series I think I'm going to love but I worry for it finding an audience.

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 May, 2017, 09:24:45 AM
How are you getting on with RockCandy Mountain. I have issue 2 sat beside me for reading (hopefully today but we'll see) and its a series I think I'm going to love but I worry for it finding an audience.

Love it. If for no other reason than the unusual subject matter. I haven't previously read anything about the pre-WWII hobo lifestyle. Then there's the two main characters, one the (our POV) newbie, and the other some kind of hobo zen master/martial artist who's a mystery... Or is he really crazy? Is there a real "Rock Candy Mountain", or what?? Don't know where they're going with this, and the unpredictability of it is really satisfying.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: positronic on 21 May, 2017, 10:07:53 AM

Love it. If for no other reason than the unusual subject matter.

Yeah have to be honest that's the single reason I got on board. Don't know squit about the creator but damn did it sound gloriously different.

TordelBack

Britannia Vol 2 No 2.  Seeing as I've been lukewarm about this series, it seems only fair to acknowledge a great issue. Not sure whether I'm adjusting to Milligan's peculiar dialogue, or whether it really is coming together better, but this was darn good comics. I also thought the essay in the back was the best yet, a great factual counterpoint to the fantastic goings-on in the story. Glad I stuck with it now, I very nearly didn't pick up this month's, and that would have been a mistake.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 May, 2017, 12:10:03 PM
Quote from: positronic on 21 May, 2017, 10:07:53 AM

Love it. If for no other reason than the unusual subject matter.

Yeah have to be honest that's the single reason I got on board. Don't know squit about the creator but damn did it sound gloriously different.

Well having now read Rock Candy Mountain 2 I can indeed confirm its superb and I have a feeling this unique series will quickly become a firm favourite of mine. Please all buy it so it sticks around.

Anyhoo finally got to my haul that I bought Thursday and while RCM 2 might in other circumstances have been book of the haul I've used it at the top and so misses that slot. As does Kong of Skull Island 11 a series that I really enjoy but since I worked out that the colouring was the biggest problem has suffered from the fact that I now consiously get annoyed more and more by the colouring with each passing issue! 11th Doctor 3rd 5 is really good fun beautifully drawn by our own INJ Culbard. I have a feeling though I'm going to miss the regular writers soon. Kill the Minotaur 1 (I think this is an ashcan issue as I don't think this starts proper until next month and doubt it will be A5!) boasts its a 'reimagine the minotaur...with all the spectacle, one-liners and thrills we expect from a summer blockbuster' and it is, I'm just not sure its reimagined that much and if being a summer blockbuster is anything to boast about? Still its fun and we'll see if it becomes less selfconsiously forced as it felt in this first issue.

Rok of the Reds 6 would get book of any haul but I'm going to talk about that elsewhere and you gotta admit not giving Spirit - The Coprse Makers 3 BotH seems just plain odd, after all its quite brilliant comic storytelling BUT then most hauls don't have Copperhead 13 and Copperhead is the perfect comic for a 2000ad fan who fancies a bit of monthly floppy fun its quite the Adnett of current American comics fare. If you are not reading it its better than the comics you are reading so stop reading them and read this instead!

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 May, 2017, 08:56:33 PM
Kill the Minotaur 1 (I think this is an ashcan issue as I don't think this starts proper until next month and doubt it will be A5!) boasts its a 'reimagine the minotaur...with all the spectacle, one-liners and thrills we expect from a summer blockbuster' and it is, I'm just not sure its reimagined that much and if being a summer blockbuster is anything to boast about? Still its fun and we'll see if it becomes less selfconsiously forced as it felt in this first issue.

Kill the Minotaur wasn't on my radar, but thanks for the heads-up. I've googled this and like what I see. The writers are videogame and film writers, so I can see where "summer blockbuster" might be appropriate. I would go see that as a film. It's perfectly positioned as an awesome videogame as well. You can't get any more D&D than that, can you? They could have called the typical RPG-ing scenario "Mazes & Minotaurs" and it would have fit just as perfectly. I'm always down for another good iteration of Greek mythology. I hope we get to see more of the minotaur's point-of-view in this story. I'll definitely be checking this out when #1 hits in a couple of weeks.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 May, 2017, 08:56:33 PMRok of the Reds 6 would get book of any haul

Is there an online preview of Rok of the Reds somewhere? I don't know much about the original, I was given to understand it was just a sport comic for boys. I'm not really a sports fan, but from what I understand, they've given it a SF spin, so is it more like a Harlem Heroes or Mean Arena thing now?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: positronic on 22 May, 2017, 05:03:55 AM
Is there an online preview of Rok of the Reds somewhere? I don't know much about the original, I was given to understand it was just a sport comic for boys. I'm not really a sports fan, but from what I understand, they've given it a SF spin, so is it more like a Harlem Heroes or Mean Arena thing now?

Its an original story and while it reads perfectly as an update of an old classic its new.

There's a thread all about it here (with the chance to buy all six issues signed by John Wagner and Dan Cornwell)

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=43090.msg956667#msg956667

Colin YNWA

Bit of a tangent this but was looking through the shelves I keep my currently ongoing comics on while putting some stuff away in the nerd cave and it kinda revealed a shocking state of the things... things being the stuff I collect, but I do wonder how indicative this is of a wider problem.

Currently comics I get regularly that come out regularly(ish) in no particular order are:

2000ad and Megazine, Hillybilly, Rock Candy Mountain (fresh out the blocks though), Kill or Be Killed, Kamandi Challenge, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, War Stories (been a bit wobbly of late) Cinema Purguratorio, Black Hammer

AutumnLands, Lazarus, Paper Girls all have scheduled breaks between arcs but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to. As does Saga I think but I only get that in trade.

Back after a long hiatus, but back at least for now:

Copperhead

About to end, or just ended:

Kong of Skull Island (to be fair got longer than originally planned, Unfollow, They are not like us (and this one disappeared for some time too), Black Road, Judge Dredd (IDW)

On a long and in must cases unexplained hiatus:

Rocket Girl (rumours abound of a return soon - gulp), Mudman, Ragnarok (had a nice exchange with the glorious Walt Simonson about this one), Nowhere Men (again), Cry Havok, Tuki saves the humans, The Goddamned, Invisible Republic (good explaination in the last issue of the current run)

Moved to a original graphic novel format:

Sex

Now this isn't written to bitch at the creators there will be very good reasons behind each of the comics delayed or having scheduling problems. They aren't exactly titles that break sales records (well Saga aside!) so I understand that we're lucky to have them at all and I will wait as patiently as I have to for each of the titles BUT damnit its a shame. Its just something that really struck me when doing some sorting out my titles this afternoon.

All the titles experiencing problems, or ending are blooming great and its just such a pity that titles of this standard can't get traction and momentum to support them coming out. I was wondering however how common such problems are. Do other people's lists experience such woes, or am I just pickin' 'badly'?

sheridan

They could have called the typical RPG-ing scenario "Mazes & Minotaurs" and it would have fit just as perfectly.
They did:

positronic

@Colin YNWA - IDW's Judge Dredd ended? They had one series of 30 issues, followed (after a short hiatus) by another 12 issue series, followed (after a short hiatus) by the current series, Judge Dredd: The Blessed Earth, which is a direct sequel to the Mega City Zero arc of the previous 12 issues.

JMO, but you have to be really Jonesing for some unread Dredd to get into these. Not Dredd's finest hour. I wish they'd have continued with Judge Dredd Classics and Rogue Trooper Classics in color, instead.

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 30 May, 2017, 10:09:17 PM
They could have called the typical RPG-ing scenario "Mazes & Minotaurs" and it would have fit just as perfectly.
They did:

You just made me think of that awful anti-D&D TV-movie from 1982 with Tom Hanks, Mazes & Monsters.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084314/

Colin YNWA

Quote from: positronic on 31 May, 2017, 06:28:52 AM
@Colin YNWA - IDW's Judge Dredd ended? They had one series of 30 issues, followed (after a short hiatus) by another 12 issue series, followed (after a short hiatus) by the current series, Judge Dredd: The Blessed Earth, which is a direct sequel to the Mega City Zero arc of the previous 12 issues.

Yeah but apparently its already said that the current story is being curtailed to 8 issues - think I read that here abouts?

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 31 May, 2017, 01:22:52 PM
Quote from: positronic on 31 May, 2017, 06:28:52 AM

Yeah but apparently its already said that the current story is being curtailed to 8 issues - think I read that here abouts?

Maybe they'll replace it with something actually a bit more Judge Dredd-ish? Actually, I thought IDW had the right idea with the miniseries Matt Smith wrote, JUDGE DREDD YEAR ONE and ANDERSON, PSI DIVISION: KING OF THE SIX SECTORS. Go with those early untold tales so as not to trip over the current (and previously-established) 2000AD/Megazine stories.