Main Menu

Steve Dillon 1962-2016

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 22 October, 2016, 04:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Absolutely gutted by this news... 54 is no age at all.
Steve has always been one of my favourite Dredd artists, especially his Judge Dredd, and his work has been a great influence to me. So very saddened by this, and my thoughts go to his friends and family.

sheridan

When I first got in to 2000AD, Steve was one of the regular Dredd artists along with Ron Smith and Carlos Ezquerra.  When i bought other comics, his werewolves managed to get in to them as well (Scream!)  By the time Vertigo was built up around Swamp Thing and Sandman, he was illustrating Animal Man.  I cut back down to comics from the House of Tharg though not long after that Preacher got reprinted in the Meg.  Not many in the comics world leave a mark on mainstream pop culture, but waiting for series two of Preacher, Steve Dillon definitely has left a legacy in the world at large (and not just among us ageing comics geeks).

Jacqusie

My first 2000ad purchase was the 1989 Sci-Fi special - The Woody Allen cover by Steve and the Tyranny Rex story inside by John Smith blew my mind open to this stuff. I loved his Rogue Trooper in the same mag too and thus began my adoration for Steve's work. So I went and found Deadline (or did it find me?) and off we went...

His work on Cinnabar a few years later gave one of the comics highlights that will forever shine out through the years and when I stumbled across the second Preacher collection at Uni, well it was like coming home.

I did always hope that he would come back to 2000AD at some point for maybe a cheeky Hap Hazzard or a stellar return to Dredd, but I did manage to get Skreemer after 25 years of procrastination which gave that special Dillon space in which to emerse.

Thanks Steve, hope you and Brett are sharing the good times once again.

Si

Dash Decent

Sad stuff.  He had such lovely clean artwork.  I loved his big imposing Dredd and also his work on the Blake's 7 cartoon strip in the Marvel B7 Monthly.  Tragically young.

RIP Steve.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

teckno viking

Truly a SAD blow for us All. As already said 54 is no age and as recent as it is 10th anniv of my mum's passing and she was only 59 :(

Anyway Steve For me was One of the pinnicle artists of How I have my own Image of Dredd.  It's more a mix up of Bolland, Dillon and Carlos with tidbits from others. Steve however That CHIN of his for Dredd, That's the Dredd I know.

Marvel, Preacher, 2000ad etc.

Truly a sad loss to so many.

terryworld

Devastating news. Everybody on here knows how wonderful he was as an artist, and for those of us lucky enough to have met him, how wonderful a person he was.
A very sad day indeed. My thoughts are with his family and friends and my sincerest condolences to his colleagues.
2016 can fuck right off.

Krakajac

Very sad news.

My first exposure to Steve's art was his work on BLOCKMANIA.  All of us in Form 7 art-class at school thought his art was sublime...RIP to a master.

Rogue Judge

Very sad, a fantastic Dredd artist and THE definitive Punishes artist. I think a lot of us had hopes he would return to Dredd someday - RIP

Mute77

Horrible news. I always loved Dillons work on Dredd-a highlight for me was the "Nightmares" storyline set after necropolis.. whenever one his runs finished it always left me wanting to see more. Such a shame..

AlexF

Man, this has come completely out of the blue; I am super sad.
Loved Dillon's Dredd, and the way he made everything look so effortless.

Dandontdare

only just caught up with this news.

Bugger  :'(

Dunk!

Top artist. Top fella apparently.

Created Deadline for which I'll always be grateful.

Sad news.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

dweezil2

Hope Tharg's got a fitting tribute lined up in the Prog.

We lost one of the greats yesterday!  :'(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

So sad.  In the year after Brett Ewins passed away, both Deadline founders have left us.

Frank

Didn't expect this kind of recognition in traditional media, but I suppose a TV show goes a long way towards legitimation. One of Steve's relatives pointed out he was trending on social media last night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37743510