Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 June, 2018, 07:26:57 PM
Allmost feels like a jumping off and cherry pick point right now.
Say it ain't so  :D My own double-dip risk is limited to ABC Warriors (oh and Dark Justice), as a returning Squaxx. I'll be in it for the long haul.

athorist

Don't worry, it's only 4 short months until *checks list* Robo Hunter volume 2, oh no

I am genuinely excited about Kingdom volume 2 being straight after it though (issue 31). I'm not sure if Sinister Dexter is going to overlap with the 2016 Megazine floppies, but that's potentially a draw for me too, even if it's a re-read.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

sintec

Quote from: athorist on 01 July, 2018, 01:21:17 AM
I am genuinely excited about Kingdom volume 2 being straight after it though (issue 31).

Where did you get this info? 
I thought Kingdom was issue 30, with Skizz being 29.   

Can't wait for that 2nd volume of Kingdom. Skizz also looks like fun.  Vol 2 of Robo-hunter on the other hand... meh.

The Monarch

i doubt it will happen but i would love eurocrash in hardcover as it should have been printed

IndigoPrime

Oddly, I think I wouldn't be mulling dropping my sub if I knew the series would continue past 80 volumes, like the Marvel one. But I'm not excited about replacing, say, Kingdom trades I already have with HB, only to later end up continuing that series with SB. Hence thinking about cherry-picking the stuff I do want (Nikolai Dante; Nemesis), ignoring the stuff I don't (ABC Warriors; Sin Dex; etc.), and spending the 400 quid on something else.

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 July, 2018, 11:26:27 AM
But I'm not excited about replacing, say, Kingdom trades I already have with HB, only to later end up continuing that series with SB.

Yeah it'd be nice to know that for those series that are unconcluded these HBs would continue to collect them.  And Kingdom is pretty much top of my list of things I would be looking out for the continuation of at the moment.

It's an easier choice for me though, I don't already have copies of this material on my shelves.  As long as the number of sub-par volumes (for me 2 in the first 20) doesn't dramatically increase then I'm happy.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Monarch on 01 July, 2018, 10:17:51 AM
i doubt it will happen but i would love eurocrash in hardcover as it should have been printed

Why won't it? Sin/Dex in the UC is only three volumes - more than enough room to include everything right up to Eurocrash, and quite a nice end point to boot.
@jamesfeistdraws

Pale fire

In one of the Facebook replies a few months ago, someone had asked how many issues there would be, and the reply (with no caveats, or further explanation, was 90).

Kingdom has been one of my favourites so far, so if there's an extension that'd be great. It's all completely new to me, and as I've generally preferred the modern stuff to the old stuff, fingers crossed the hit rate of decent issues should stay high.

IndigoPrime

Yes, I should probably clarify that I'm coming at this from a very different position: someone who has every issue of 2000 AD and additionally the vast majority of this material in trade form. So my calculation was, to some extent, based around whether or not I find enough 'value' in replacing older (mostly bendy paperback) trades and then selling off an existing collection on eBay (something that I've discovered with Dreddworld volumes is increasingly tough).

In some cases, this remains a yes. Nemesis, Nikolai Dante, and Strontium Dog (the lack of Starlord stories aside) easily fit that bill, because they're some of my favourite comic series of all, and I'd find some way to continue buying those. But I already have all the Sláine I remotely care about (including the lovely Rebellion hardbacks for Book of Invasions and The Wanderer), and the same for ABC Warriors (Mek-Files 1, basically). And money's tighter than it once was. On that basis, I might shift to cherry-picking the bits I care about, while still buying the Prog and Meg on subscription.

For relative newcomers, though, I can't imagine a better way to get on board with the stories outlined to appear in the collection.

EDIT: Looking on eBay, the sales prices for new issues are bafflingly variable! Why are people buying new volumes for 15 quid? Bizarre. (The only possibility I can think of is overseas readers.)

sintec

That gives us a pretty solid lineup for the next 10 volumes.  Can't say I'm looking forward to Robo-hunter but everything else looks like its going to be great. I guess that keeps us hovering around the 1 dud in 10 margin. 

That Sinister Dexter is superb can't wait to sink my teeth into that series. Keep hearing good things on here so expectations are high.  And Gene is looking to be on top scrapping form on that cover.

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 July, 2018, 01:56:02 PM
EDIT: Looking on eBay, the sales prices for new issues are bafflingly variable! Why are people buying new volumes for 15 quid? Bizarre. (The only possibility I can think of is overseas readers.)

Ebay prices for all kinds of stuff can be baffling at times.  I also collect records and you see stuff you could pick up relatively easiily for £10-20 going for sky high prices on there sometimes. It makes no sense at all.

Colin YNWA

Do we know how much and which bits of Sinister Dexter we're getting? I wish it was a complete reprint in hardback like Dante but as I recall its only going to be four volumes?

moly

Hatchett site is finally showing as 22nd for next issues payment etc so hopefully not long now

Magnetica

Not sure why, but i'm finding it much easier to not buy this than I did with the Dredd Mega Collection.