Main Menu

Ready Player One review

Started by Bad City Blue, 29 March, 2018, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 16 April, 2018, 05:57:21 PM
In the words of Mrs X: "It was a film for little boys and their daddies who are really just big little boys."

I fully endorse this statement as myself and my wee boys loved it. So did the Mrs but she's a secret geek at heart.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Buttonman

I thought it was OK. Too long by 40 minutes and a lot of stuff seemed to be shoehorned in for no good reason other than nerd points. The quest plot was rote large and the peril seemed very mild. The ending with a big pitched battle while our heroes tried to save the day was well worn - 'Rogue One', 'Black Panther'...actually every Marvel film.

Nice to look at though and a few chuckles. Good to see Finchy getting a job too!

Tiplodocus

Yes, quite enjoyed that. Cheesy? Certainly. But the pace is pretty good (even though it is too long) and the race and shining pieces are fab. When they shout out a reference in your face (about a dozen times), it grates but the rest were take it or leave it for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

I should have managed my expectations a little more. I loved the book, so the film (as most adaptations do) fell very short of the mark.

Hawkmumbler

OPR is the biggest fan wank of the decade and a few spectacles not withstanding it's an incredibly flat, uninspired fare.

GordyM

I can never hate a movie that shows me Stripe and Chucky going to war but the plot is so dumb and full of holes that it's as if they took a rough first draft of the script and said to the SFX team "Drown this in references!"
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

ABCwarBOT

Looks a bit dumb but I might pick this up on dvd as it has some interesting things in it even if it;s £10 at the moment which is still a rip off as far as I can see.   I usually wait for dvd's to come down in price after a while.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 25 September, 2018, 12:00:05 PM
Looks a bit dumb but I might pick this up on dvd as it has some interesting things in it even if it;s £10 at the moment which is still a rip off as far as I can see.   I usually wait for dvd's to come down in price after a while.

It's true. Something that cost hundreds of millions to make, years of peoples expertise,  and a minimum of a tenner to see once at the cinema, is a rip off a £10 so you can watch it over, and over, and over again if you so chose.

Those damn money grabbing entertainers.

And the Prog should still be 8p (Earth money) in my opinion.

Greedy Tharg.

Tiplodocus

I wouldn't say rip off but ABCWarbot makes some sense. I've saved a fortune by curbing my "Buy it on release" habit and quite often wait for 3 for £20 offers for blu-ray. Or better yet, realise that if I only watch it once, I can wait for Netflix etc.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 September, 2018, 05:24:12 PM
I wouldn't say rip off but ABCWarbot makes some sense. I've saved a fortune by curbing my "Buy it on release" habit and quite often wait for 3 for £20 offers for blu-ray. Or better yet, realise that if I only watch it once, I can wait for Netflix etc.

The only films I usually buy on release at the moment is the Star Wars films because they're so prevalent everywhere I'm trying to avoid spoilers.   It does save quite a bit of money waiting for things though.  I've saved a lot waiting for old Dr Who dvds for instance.