Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

When I drove for National Express what seems like three lifetimes ago now, the mantra was, "to be late is an accident, to be early is a sin."

The times I've sat at a bus stop in the middle of nowhere, with huffing passengers, waiting for a precise time and knowing that from now on I'm going to start falling behind and finish late are without number. Well, six or seven times at least.

Anyway. Yes. I agree, buses should never run early. We are bus drivers, we live for the 001 South, we die for the 001 South.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

People who recline their seats on a plane. Scum. Subhuman scum.

Pyroxian

Quote from: radiator on 30 May, 2018, 06:02:25 PM
People who recline their seats on a plane. Scum. Subhuman scum.

I don't generally mind if they ask first...

Dandontdare

If my seat is reclinable, I'm reclining baby!

von Boom

Just rest your tray on their foreheads.

radiator

It's not something I would ever do. The minimal extra comfort you gain is so out of whack with the massive extra discomfort you inflict on the poor bastard seated behind. Isn't plane travel already miserable enough for all concerned?

JamesC

Once upon a time people were permitted to smoke on planes. Imagine that.

sheridan

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 11 October, 2017, 07:51:32 AM
There was an article in the paper claiming this last week which listed the longest intros and how they don't appear on many mainstream playlists. Which is fine by me as I don't listen to mainstream radio.

What paper was that in?  There's a few songs where the intros are the best bit (and at least one band where the intros were great, the songs not so).

Richard

QuoteI don't generally mind if they ask first...
Do you say no? Does it work?

radiator

Quote from: Richard on 02 June, 2018, 12:00:02 AM

I believe the accepted British way of dealing with the situation is to say yes out of politeness, then resent them bitterly for the rest of the flight.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Richard on 02 June, 2018, 12:00:02 AM

I usually say yes, because I can cope with a small amount of legroom :)

radiator

Nostalgia-driven advertising.

In the last few months I've seen Home Alone leveraged to advertise those useless smart speakers, The Dude from The Big Lebowski and Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City awkwardly shilling beer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer hawking skin cream, some incredibly lame Ghostbusters themed bank adverts, and a whole host famous vehicles from the likes of Back to the Future, Transformers and Scooby Doo in a Walmart ad.... And it just goes on and on.

It feels like every ad agency just got the green light to stripmine everything we remember fondly from the 80s and 90s, in favour of, you know, coming up with some actual clever ideas.

It's so tacky, so lazy, so desperate and all it does is cheapen the source material. Far from making me want to buy things, more often I just find the ads vaguely sad and depressing, in a 'wow, don't they all look so old and tired?' kind of way.

Funt Solo

Having The Dude and Carrie Bradshaw drinking in the same bar was hopelessly incongruous.   Everyone in the bar getting freaked out and surprised at people drinking beer was also forced and odd.  What message was this attempting to send to the Superbowl audience?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Everybody grows up with media created by those who lived through previous decades, and that media to a certain extent fetishises the culture and attitudes of those decades.  It's a little more full-on this time around because all of previous culture is in one way or another practically on tap for younger generations.  I just wish they'd stop fetishising the 1980s, a garbage decade full of garbage culture that practically enshrined the notion of it being admirable to be an asshole.  Any fucking wonder the internet turned out like it has.

JamesC

People used to talk about the shared universe of Quentin Tarantino's films. Vincent Vega is the brother of Mr Blonde, Alabama (from True Romance) is mentioned by Mr White etc.
I wonder if the Winston Wolf Direct Line insurance adverts are supposed to take place in the same universe and, if so,what prompted the character's move from LA to the UK.