Main Menu

Star Trek: Axanar

Started by Proudhuff, 25 August, 2014, 06:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 June, 2016, 11:04:47 PM
All because some mad-cunt "fan" believes he has the right to the Star Trek license and ruined it for everyone.

Indeed.

IF Paramount's guidelines became the bench mark and IF people obeyed them, that would be the end of 'pro looking' fan films.

Paramount's lawyers were basically backed into a corner, so they only had one possible, blanket, response.

Steve Green

via Joe Soap looks like the main bod from Axanar used crowdsourced funds to pay for things that weren't quite to do with the fan film...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CBSvsAxanar/permalink/1367027803308586/

TordelBack

Hoooleee sheet. That's some champion embezzling right there, even for a Kickstarter. Lad should have saved himself a load of trouble and got into politics, this sort of thing is part of the standard contract.

JOE SOAP

It's also revealed for the first time that Peters "attempted to meet with Netflix to become a producer of Star Trek productions."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/star-trek-fan-film-lawsuit-boldly-goes-no-star-trek-lawsuit-has-gone-before-948252

Dandontdare

This is sounding more and more like outright embezzlement rather than 'crowdfunding goes wrong'

Steve Green

What's astonishing is that he's still got plenty of backers sticking up for him.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Crooks, particularly fraudsters are very persuasive since they've spent a lifetime perfecting the art of deceit.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

I can understand the not wanting to admit to being suckered, and still living in denial - It's the 'CBS/Paramount hate the fans' stuff.

'CBS/Paramount don't own Star Trek, the fans do' is absolutely delusional.

JOE SOAP

What's hilarious is that this was all redacted info not intended for public consumption as it would clearly damage the Axanar Producer/defendant's reputation.

Unfortunately, for the defendant, when someone copy and pasted text from the court document PDFs to another text app, the text beneath the blackened, redacted parts was revealed.

Steve Green

There were rumblings of him taking action out against them because of that.

I'm disappointed that there aren't tales of him paying strippers to paint themselves green.

Or tribble abuse.

Professor Bear

CBS don't hate Star Trek or Star Trek fans - they hate Star Trek creators, and anyone who wants to make television (according to Bryan Fuller).

Robin Low

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 November, 2016, 07:56:35 AM
What's astonishing is that he's still got plenty of backers sticking up for him.

I think that's desperate hope. Prelude to Axanar was genuinely good, and folk really want to see a decent Star Trek film.

I back quite a lot of Kickstarters, mostly for roleplaying games. I have a fairly strict rule that I never back anything where I feel there's genuine risk and I never pledge more than I can risk losing. I've only come close to losing out once, and even that was resolved favourably.

It was because of the risk that I didn't back Axanar on Kickstarter. I mean, Prelude looked really, really good. Tony Todd's performance as Ramirez and the scripting of his speech in Archer Arena frankly sold it to me. But, hey, it was pretty obvious that someone was going to come down hard on this.

The Kickstarter took place in July/August 2014 and raised something over half a million dollars. It was also stated at the time they were going have another round of fundraising.

August 2015 and we have the Indiegogo crowdfunder. I figure, hey, last time they raised a huge amount of money, and it's been an entire year in which no legal action has been taken. Surely, if there was a problem then the lawyers would have been sent in long before now. I decide the take the risk. The campaign finished on August 17th.

On August 25th, CBS gets upset.

I'm a little disappointed, but like I said I don't pledge money I'm not prepared to risk losing. Fair enough. I've backed 34 crowdfunders and this is my first loss.

What annoys me, though, is not that the IP owners have asserted their rights. What annoys me is that they didn't do it during the whole year between the two crowdfunders, or at least at some point during the second one, rather than waiting until after fans had pledged another half million.

Regards,

Robin

Oh, and you were after tribble abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxeRouCx9c

Steve Green

Maybe they thought it would collapse on its own.

I'm not sure at what point during the kickstarter that Tony Todd walked - there seemed to be a trickle of people involved with Prelude who left for various reasons.

CBS only know for sure why they held off, maybe it was easier for a possible lawsuit to give him enough rope before they went after them.

Bearing in mind how much of a fuss he's kicked up, I doubt he would have paid any more attention even if it had come up earlier.

Robin Low

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 November, 2016, 04:58:10 PM
Maybe they thought it would collapse on its own.

Possibly, but that's not how you protect IP.

QuoteI'm not sure at what point during the kickstarter that Tony Todd walked - there seemed to be a trickle of people involved with Prelude who left for various reasons.

I don't know either. I only discovered this after the lawsuit. I almost certainly wouldn't have backed had I know.

QuoteCBS only know for sure why they held off, maybe it was easier for a possible lawsuit to give him enough rope before they went after them.

Again, possibly. But if half a million in the bank and the stated intent of another crowdfunder wasn't enough rope then one would almost think they doubted their rights.

QuoteBearing in mind how much of a fuss he's kicked up, I doubt he would have paid any more attention even if it had come up earlier.

Agreed. Own worst enemy, and all that.

Regards,

Robin