Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

I have no idea what satire even IS these days. I may just check myself into a nursing home and content myself with going "tsk" at the Today programme and failing to finish even the cryptic crossword in the Daily Telegraph.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

My takeaway is that you read the Telegraph.

Proudhuff

Onto series two of The Sinner... good stuff.
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 November, 2018, 09:52:40 PM
Fuck me. How good is Daredevil S3...?!

[spoiler]It's VERY good.[/spoiler]

Just watched the finale last night - excellent stuff, what an improvement on S.2.

These Netflix marvels stand or fall on the quality of the villains - you can throw any number of ninjas at a show, but it won't have the same impact as a great scenery-chewing character actor. D'Onofrio was perfect as the Kingpin. Luke cage never really managed a great villain (though I quite liked Bushmaster in the latest), and Jessica Jones S.2 was sorely lacking David Tennant's presence. Iron Fist suffered from the "oh look, more ninjas" problem.

Tiplodocus

Remind me again why I thought it was a good idea to watch THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE while alone  in an old creaky cottage?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Getting plenty of that. Three noisy cats aren't helping either.

I know these days a long take isn't always a long take but episode 6 (Two Storms) has some ridiculously good long takes in it.

wedgeski

Currently re-watching Star Trek Discovery after the Blu-Ray purchase. I love almost everything about this show. Even its mid-season spore-jump into [spoiler]the mirror universe[/spoiler], something which, before it aired, I swore to my wife I would hate for them to do, won me over with its procedural treatment of what the ship and its crew would need to do to survive in that circumstance.

This is to say nothing about the [spoiler]Ash Tyler[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Lorca[/spoiler] sub-plots, and the amazing contortions they performed in order to hide them, both on and off-screen. Perfect casting across the board, as well (almost; I couldn't get on with Michelle Yeoh's Georgio, although she was much better as [spoiler]the Emperor[/spoiler]).

Jolly well done to all involved. Can't wait for S2.

The Legendary Shark

DD-S3. For me, the best Marvel series to date.

'Nuff said.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Up to Ep 3 of The Haunting of Hill House and finding it as dull as ditchwater so far. However, I'll give it a couple more episodes just in case there's something cool lurking under the surface.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Belatedly catching up with The Terror. Five episodes in... this is very good stuff. It's actually been making me think a lot of Brink, in as much it has humans in an environment implacably hostile to human occupation and there's a very real question about how much is actual supernatural horror and how much is about these people just going mad.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 December, 2018, 10:03:45 PM

Up to Ep 3 of The Haunting of Hill House and finding it as dull as ditchwater so far. However, I'll give it a couple more episodes just in case there's something cool lurking under the surface.
Have you spotted any of the hidden apparitions in background shots?

Bolt-01

Watched all of Hill House over the last week and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping that it stays as a 'done in one' story and stays away from a second series.

Some beautiful storytelling and superb casting.

The Legendary Shark

I have stuck with it and I'm glad I did. Last ep for tonight, after work. Seems to me this is one of those rare series that will get better on a second viewing - where I can look out for all those background spooks I seem to have missed, for a start!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Didn't spot any hidden ghosts until about episode 9 so want to go back and look for more.

As I said on Facebook, I am now disappointed when there is a ghostly sound in the house and it IS NOT a ghost. Not that it ever was.