Main Menu

Mini-rant about going digital

Started by MumboJimbo, 06 December, 2019, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MumboJimbo

I went from a paper sub to digital about a month ago, and although generally happy I do get sometimes get the distinct feeling Tharg considers us to be Economy Class subscribers. For instance, we don't get this new exclusive Poster Prog for annual paper subscribers, even though I'm an annual digital subscriber? Yes, I know a poster prog doesn't really work on an iPad but I've have liked the story on the back.

And why do we get the prog on Wednesday when print subs often get it on Saturday? If anything we should get it a day earlier as it doesn't have to arrive via snail mail.

I know we pay less money, but surely that's offset by the savings in printing, mailing etc. And we don't get any combi-subscription savings. Why not?

The future is digital, and - like Tharg - it's the greener alternative. C'mon Tharg get with the times!

(To be clear, love the prog, and none of this is a huge deal, just seems a little regressive in this day and age.)

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

MumboJimbo

NO - I WILL NOT BE OPPRESSED! C'MON DIGITAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND RISE WITH ME! VIVA THE REVOLUTION!!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 06 December, 2019, 11:32:24 AMAnd why do we get the prog on Wednesday when print subs often get it on Saturday? If anything we should get it a day earlier as it doesn't have to arrive via snail mail.

Digital subs land with the official on-sale date. Print subs are designed to arrive on or before the on-sale date. That they've for a while now arrived as early as Saturday is good fortune more than anything.

QuoteI know we pay less money, but surely that's offset by the savings in printing, mailing etc.
Digital also requires technical support and maintenance. So it's not a case of Tharg going NOM NOM NOM with all of the cash.

Probably also worth noting that when I subscribed to the Prog, I didn't get three free months of back issues sent to my door, but digital subscribers do get that bonus.

MumboJimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 December, 2019, 12:06:44 PM
Probably also worth noting that when I subscribed to the Prog, I didn't get three free months of back issues sent to my door, but digital subscribers do get that bonus.

True - that's one advantage, I guess, of a digital sub. Although you don't get the benefit if you move from print to digital as you already have those progs. Unless you unsub for 3 months, which would be a bit of a dick move.

Not directly related, but I notice I'm getting emails with re-sub offers, which means Marketing probably regard me as a lapsed subscriber, rather than someone who's just moved over to digital. The reason I mention this, is that if they're not tracking this, then they may have a false picture on subscriber retention, and therefore focusing on enticing back print subscribers (with things like the poster prog) when maybe many of them have actually just switched to digital.

MumboJimbo

Digital also requires technical support and maintenance. So it's not a case of Tharg going NOM NOM NOM with all of the cash.

Never thought it was a greed thing. Just think there should be more parity with the subscriber experience regardless of how your prog is delivered. This is how it is for gaming, and no reason why can't have it for comics.

wedgeski

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 06 December, 2019, 01:29:32 PM

True - that's one advantage, I guess, of a digital sub. Although you don't get the benefit if you move from print to digital as you already have those progs. Unless you unsub for 3 months, which would be a bit of a dick move.

Not directly related, but I notice I'm getting emails with re-sub offers, which means Marketing probably regard me as a lapsed subscriber, rather than someone who's just moved over to digital. The reason I mention this, is that if they're not tracking this, then they may have a false picture on subscriber retention, and therefore focusing on enticing back print subscribers (with things like the poster prog) when maybe many of them have actually just switched to digital.
This happened with me as well. I'm sure I'm accounted for somewhere, but it still seemed strange. I don't consider myself any less of a subscriber because I've gone digital.

broodblik

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 06 December, 2019, 11:37:36 AM
NO - I WILL NOT BE OPPRESSED! C'MON DIGITAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND RISE WITH ME! VIVA THE REVOLUTION!!

The Revolution has started we digital folk has already ensured that the subscribers only get their thrill-power after Wednesday  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.