Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, (MAYBE!!!) 14/04/07, 7.40pm, GRIDLOCK...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 14 April, 2007, 05:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

I actually quite enjoyed that one, despite the unnecessary giant crabs (how come I don't remember the Macra?), the fact that the CGI people only designed one model of hovering hippie-van, the Face of Booooo's typically shoddy ventriloquism act, the sticky-up bits of Martha's hair, that nonsense about drugs mutating into viruses (the Radio Times should have come with free transparent patches printed with the word "Excitement"), the more-than-obvious 2000AD rip-offs, assorted silliness about the Doctor's people all being dead (he's got a time machine - why can't he go back to rescue them?), the presence of Thermoman, and so on.

I liked it because it had kittens. And they were cute.

As usual, I switched channels before the next-week spoiler, but I don't know why I bother any more.

-- Mike

Mangamax

How can Macra devolve and at the same time grow massively in size?

How come its 5 billion years in the future and the cars are filled with tat that not even poundshops have the nerve to stock anymore? (plastic fish in tubes of bubbly water, those hideous cloth birds sewn on top of each other etc)
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Leigh S

I just dont understand why theFace of Boe is maintaining these people in a peretual traffic jam , unless hes in lague with the Macra.

Its like RTD wrote a script that made sense - (people doing this because of Macra mind control) then thought at the very last second "wouldnt it be nice if its actually the FAce of Boe being heroic, rather than a cliched evil monster behind it all"... without bothering to rewrite in order for that to make any kind of sense  

Mangamax

And anyway, we've seen devolved Macras before:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Mangamax/lost_continent08.jpg">
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Robin Low

"I just dont understand why theFace of Boe is maintaining these people in a peretual traffic jam , unless hes in lague with the Macra."

I was a bit distracted at that point in the show (a big van had parked outside the front of the house and I was wondering what it was up to), but I thought the problem was that having got them all there and protected in the first place he didn't have the know-how (or the hands) to get the machinery working again to open up the motorway when it was safe.

Regards

Robin

Adrian Bamforth

"he's got a time machine - why can't he go back to rescue them"

Because it's strictly forbidden to alter the course of history, except when he saves the universe every week.

Robin Low

"How can Macra devolve and at the same time grow massively in size?"

Selection pressure, with environment and circumstances favouring size over intelligence.

Or, the Macra we saw where all the offspring and descendents of one abnormal pregnant Macra that arrived on the planet.

"How come its 5 billion years in the future and the cars are filled with tat that not even poundshops have the nerve to stock anymore? (plastic fish in tubes of bubbly water, those hideous cloth birds sewn on top of each other etc)"

Well, it only took a few decade for people to forget how naff the 70s were and for flares to become fashionable again.

Regards

Robin

Richmond Clements

Y'know- one thing that I do not understand...

If this show is so fucking unswervingling shit every week- then WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL WATCHING IT??

Why not just watch something you like? Or is that to adult an option?

SamuelAWilkinson

Come now, Rac. We nerds are amongst the worst demographic for hurting the ones we love.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Adrian Bamforth

I don't, I didn't watch the first two episodes of this series and didn't comment about them. I usually watch Harry Hill, which I like more.

Occasionally, it's not unswervingly shit: The Empty Child, The Girl In The Fireplace, the Dickens one, and bits of Dalek.

However, the real reason is that I care about science-fiction and drama, so it's hard to ignore when someone has taken something which was already an institution - if RTD had just invented his own show without the immense hype connected to this show it would be less offensive when it's bad and easier to ignore.

I find it interesting why things don't work, it helps you appreciate what makes other things work and what stories are all about (and if we all ignored the bad points these threads would be just more platitudes for RTD). However, most of the people posting here seem to have picked up on the major flaws without my help, I'm probably just being a bit more of a bore about it.

Incidentally, the above comment about not changing history applies to old Doctor Who also, much of which I like.

The Adventurer

Gotta say I really liked this episode. Not just for the plot laying it accomplished with the Face of Boe's message to the Doctor. The twist at the end about the situation of the drivers caught me off guard, and that's always a plus.

I'll say this once, Doctor Who may not be the greatest show ever made, but it is the best pure Adventure show I've watched in years and years. It's just got so much heart and does cheese without being cheesy.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Steve Green

With the lifting of stuff from 2000ad, I wonder if they've considered approaching John Wagner to actually write a script for the New Who?

- Steve

Huey2

"With the lifting of stuff from 2000ad, I wonder if they've considered approaching John Wagner to actually write a script for the New Who"

John and Pat Mills did try and get a Who script done during the end of the Tom Baker years. These eventually got re-worked into comic scripts for the first issues of the Dr. Who weekly. The Iron Legion would still make a fantastic episode.

Pat came a little closer during the Davison years with "Space Whale" coming a little closer to commission. Apparently it got dropped because the script editor didn't like the crew of the space whaler speaking in naturalistic dialogue.

I'd love to see Pat Mills script an episode. The petition starts here.

- Huey

Huey2

forgot to say: I've enjoyed every episode this season so far. At the same stage last year I hadn't enjoyed a single one.

Sure there hasn't been a fanastic episode yet along the likes of "Girl in the fireplace" or "Father's Day" but there seems to have been a definate upturn in quality.

Who knows? At this rate Torchwood might be alright this year.

- Huey

SmallBlueThing

Absolutely fucking loved that! Up there with the best of them, I thought. And the 2000ad refs were just the icing on the cake. And and and- who else got a leeeetle thrill from hearing RTD namecheck 2000ad, Judge Dredd, Mega City One and Max Normal in DW Confidential afterwards?

Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Steev