Main Menu

Donating blood.

Started by Mattofthespurs, 19 June, 2019, 02:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Does anyone else here do it.

Just come back from my 60th donation.

But then I like free crisps and biscuits  :)

Tiplodocus

Only 48 myself. But in my defence, I had a few years where they thought I couldn't because of a malaria risk.

Everybody who can, should, as often as possible.

And "Oooh but I'm squeamish about needles" does not constitute "can't".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 June, 2019, 02:50:38 PM
Only 48 myself. But in my defence, I had a few years where they thought I couldn't because of a malaria risk.

Absolutely.

My appointment was 12.50. I was seen for the iron test at 12.55, in a chair at 1pm and finished by 1.15. No pain and a nice comfy relax before a cup of tea and some food before leaving with  a sense that I had actually achieved something today.

Which is always nice.

paddykafka

Back in my day, you could actually get a glass of Guinness afterwards (perhaps to restore lost iron after donation but, not being an expert in such matters, I can't say for certain).

Needless to say, this was not the only reason that I chose to donate... ::)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 June, 2019, 02:50:38 PM

I just look away and tell the nurse I don't want to talk
Lock up your spoons!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: paddykafka on 19 June, 2019, 04:35:11 PM
Back in my day, you could actually get a glass of Guinness afterwards (perhaps to restore lost iron after donation but, not being an expert in such matters, I can't say for certain).

Funny you should say that but for the first time in 60 donations my iron was a little low and they had to take a second reading after the 'sink' reading. I was fine to donate (it has to be above 150 or so) but now they tell you to avoid alcohol afterwards.

Obviously I ignore that suggestion but I will say that as I get older (approaching my 51st Birthday) it does make me rather tired if only for a few hours.

But well worth it. Apparently every pint donated saves 3 people.

Do it chaps. You know it makes sense. It could be your family you are saving or, heaven forbid, yourself.

And they make a lovely cup of tea.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 19 June, 2019, 04:35:11 PM

Oh God, I really have to start donating again. I remember the bottle of Guinness; sadly missed.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

I'm about to get back into donating again after shamefully not donating for a few years. I'm booked in for an appt in September as the sessions I can get to after work fill so fast.

I'm not fond of needles but looking the other way and chatting to other folk is all it needs.

I like to think my blood is special as it must be thrill-infused after all these years...

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 24 June, 2019, 11:05:11 AM
I'm about to get back into donating again after shamefully not donating for a few years. I'm booked in for an appt in September as the sessions I can get to after work fill so fast.

I'm not fond of needles but looking the other way and chatting to other folk is all it needs.

I like to think my blood is special as it must be thrill-infused after all these years...

Well done!

I'm not squeamish at all but I don't usually watch when they put the needle in. I'm usually reading a book. My last go the nurse was excellent, didn't feel a thing.

gurnard

Over here in Belgium they won't accept blood from anyone who lived in England between 1980 and 1996 because of  Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease. I moved over here in 2002 so I am definitely out.  Which is a bit disappointing.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical/eligibility-reference-material.html

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: gurnard on 24 June, 2019, 03:30:25 PM
Over here in Belgium they won't accept blood from anyone who lived in England between 1980 and 1996 because of  Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease. I moved over here in 2002 so I am definitely out.  Which is a bit disappointing.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical/eligibility-reference-material.html

The Sun says: BARMY BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS BAN BRIT BOARDERS' BLOOD
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Over here in Belgium they won't accept blood from anyone who lived in England between 1980 and 1996 because of  Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease.

You know what, I think you might have finally explained Brexit!

I, Cosh

It's the same in Switzerland. I was quite taken aback.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 June, 2019, 05:28:39 PM

The Sun says: BARMY BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS BAN BRIT BOARDERS' BLOOD

I just found this on the Irish blood service website. Clearly CJD was a firm respecter of national boundaries, unlike the Tory party.

Never give blood if: You have spent 1 year or more, in total, in the UK in the years 1980 to 1996
We never really die.

Funt Solo

In the US, I can't give blood because of that Mad Coo Disease that created the Moniaive Comic Festival. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++