Main Menu

Weekly Shonen Jump Weekly update (hopefully)

Started by IronGraham, 05 November, 2013, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Been catching up on D.Gray-Man, Tegami Bachi and Claymore recently. I feel in it's absence DGM could have been part of the opening line up. Shame the auther is suffering from such ailments. The latter two however I believe would make fine aditions to the rotter. The fact that they are aproaching new arcs (Claymore appears to be almost completely rebooted) gives me hope. Oh, and ive just bought the first volume of Jojo's Bizzare adventure. Should be interesting.

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IronGraham on 27 February, 2014, 03:07:50 PM
Is that part 3 of the JoJo stories?
No, I believe it's the very beginning. But I could be mistaken, JoJo is such a long series with a number of reboots it's actually quite hard to pin point where to start.

Oh, and who here knew ONE and Yusuke Murata collaborated on a one shot back in 2012? What OPM is to Superman, Dangan Tanshi Fan Club is to Sailor Moon. And it's awesome.

http://onepixeljump.com/2013/02/07/why-does-everyone-in-my-fanclub-look-so-ugly/

The Adventurer

Has anyone else tried the Manga Box app for iOS? Its a (legal) source of all kinds of free translated manga. Mostly stuff I've never heard of before (except the Attack on Titan spin-off, Spoof on Titan... which I just found out can be a bit spoilery. Whoops.). Basically it looks like a bunch of manga primary from Kodansha. For free. Online only though, and it appears new releases come out in weekly batches, and may expire after a time. (currently it starts at 'Digest', first chapters, then goes to Vol. 3, and then through current Vol.14. I dunno.)

EDIT: Oh yes, and latter this month, March 22, Comic Walker will be launching with a bunch of translated manga. I hope Gundam the Origin is one of the translated ones.

Spaceghost

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 March, 2014, 10:05:00 AM
EDIT: Oh yes, and latter this month, March 22, Comic Walker will be launching with a bunch of translated manga. I hope Gundam the Origin is one of the translated ones.

I can't wait for this. It seems too good to be true. I'm all for new, legal and above all, free ways to read manga. I have to admit, although I do buy lots of manga, I also use the Pocket Manga app a lot to read manga on my Nexus 7. I know it's not strictly above board, but I justify it to myself by buying the stuff I really want to own.

Similarly, I use an online anime website called which hosts high quality streaming, downloadable fansubs of pretty much every film, series or OVA ever released in Japan. If I see something I like, I buy it. I just watched the first episode of Seirei no Moribito and was so impressed, I ordered it on Amazon.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 March, 2014, 10:05:00 AM

Ooooohhhhh yeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!! :D

Hawkmumbler

New series on the horizon. Assassination Classroom. Looks a little like Paranoia Agent.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/442070743853973504/photo/1

Spaceghost

Anybody else notice that, as of this week, you can click the manga title on the contents page and fly straight to that episode?

Nice new feature.

Hawkmumbler

Spaceghost

Hawkmumbler

It is a useful feature though. As each issue is so large it really help you get to where you want to be on re-reads.

The Adventurer

It's been like that since I started reading in JAN of last year.

I, Cosh

Well, having seen you boys banging on about it for so long, I decided to give it a go this week. Quite frankly, I have no idea what in fuck's name is going in most of the stories but, at two quid for a month's subscription I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

Anyway, things I enjoyed most (primarily due to accessibility) were One-Punch Man, Stealth Symphony, Blue Exorcist and Nisekoi (which reminded me a little of that Tenchi Muyo cartoon which I used to find pretty entertaining when I came across it on cable.) Toriko intrigues because of the utter lunacy of its premise while Naruto and One-Piece were utterly incomprehensible.

I'm aware that people have the same issue with something like 2000AD because of the amount of backstory but, when you're reading Chapter 657 of a particular story you can really see why.
We never really die.