Main Menu

Megazine spoilers that don't spoil anything.

Started by Oddboy, 02 July, 2002, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

What af fucking fantastic read, pardon the language.

Otto Sump, good, shame it was only a two parter.

I'm actually quite digging these durham red stories.  I liked the 70's italian horror film set and this futuristic semi-victorian planet.  Nice Job from Steve Yeowell there.

Bernatti, liked it, great stuff, the art was perfect.  No objection to swearing this time from me, it suited the strip, so fine.  Exciting stuff.  Modern crime thriller stuff, great.

Article.  Again, great stuff, a few gems of knowledge I wasn't aware of.

Missionary Man, what an ending, loved it, the story had at times rumbled along gently, but nice fight at the end, again great art from Ridgeway.

I've read Bad Company a few too many times to read it again just yet, but I'll have a go at it later.  Classic.  Nuff said :)  Looking forwrad to some of the future reprints too.

I for one would like to see Hellboy return to hell. It's not bad, and I've heard it gets better, I just think I'd like another original british strip :)

JamieB

It'd be nice if the Meg could raid Deadline magazine's archives - there were some truly wonderful strips in there.

*J*

Mudcrab

"I for one would like to see Hellboy return to hell. It's not bad, and I've heard it gets better, I just think I'd like another original british strip :)"

I'd agree, but I'll wait till I actually read it. I tried to, but just got fed up with it on the first couple of pages. I've heard so much good stuff about it and when I finally saw it, I wasn't impressed. Looks like some bizarre cross of Captain America and Swamp Thing! Boooooooring!! I'd far rather see something that isnt reprinted from elsewhere. I wasn't a fan of the Preacher reprints, basically cos I've already got the books, but even if I didn't, I'd have been REALLY pissed off when it ended. You didn't even finish off the second book! Anyhoo, I'd far rather see more Dredd universe stuff than big lumpy red blokes fighting big lizards. Maybe I haven't read enough to see a better side to it, but I reckon these type of things should be left to the yanks.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

The Amstor Computer

Looks like I'm both:

a) The only muppet enjoying Hellboy, and:
b) The only muppet who thought the Sump story was a magnificent piece of writing ruined by utterly shite art...

Ah, well - vive la difference :-)

paulvonscott

forgot to mention the cover.  Ace!

Alan Barnes

"yep, sonny steelgrave=alan mckenzie ... i was extraordinarily disappointed when i discovered this, considering the gold that alan wrote for luke kirby & doctor who (that whole astrolabus arc is stunning)"

... except Steve Parkhouse wrote that. And yes, it is stunning. Completely changed my idea of what could be done in the strip form (the Rupert Bear parody in the middle is astonishing).

Alan's 'Funhouse' story soon after is terrific, though. And everything around this time was beautifully illustrated by a chap called John Ridgway ...

While I'm here: so pleased the latest Meg's gone down so well. Tell your friends!

Alan

W. R. Logan

>And as a little side note, one of the faces in the montage of uglies in part one was all teeth and wavy hair. It looked like it had come straight from the pencil of Ron Smith, which is a really nice touch.

I thought the panel with the Tornado issue as a banned reding material was another great touch.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">Class Of '79 Yahoo Group

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/specials/mediumres/tornado01.jpg">

O Lucky Stevie!

"yep, sonny steelgrave=alan mckenzie ... i was extraordinarily disappointed when i discovered this, considering the gold that alan wrote for luke kirby & doctor who (that whole astrolabus arc is stunning)"

... except Steve Parkhouse wrote that. And yes, it is stunning. Completely changed my idea of what could be done in the strip form (the Rupert Bear parody in the middle is astonishing).

Alan's 'Funhouse' story soon after is terrific, though. And everything around this time was beautifully illustrated by a chap called John Ridgway ...

thanks for the correction, alan. serves me right for selling off all my dwm a few years back when i needed some dosh. something i've kinda been regretting ever since (which, incidentally, is an emotion which i've never felt about any of my star wars or trek stuff that i've offloaded). don't suppose that there's any chance of us seeing any of the who strips appear in the beyond 2000ad slot then in the meg, alan?

oh well, if not, i'm more than chuffed at the news that we'll be seeing the jesus redondo's criminally ignored nemesis book ii soon.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"