Main Menu

Stories that should be collected

Started by broodblik, 10 August, 2018, 05:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Helltrekkers made it onto Tharg's list of the 16 worst stories ever to appear in 2000AD (in a special in the prog's 16th year).

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Richard on 14 August, 2018, 06:52:34 PM
Helltrekkers made it onto Tharg's list of the 16 worst stories ever to appear in 2000AD (in a special in the prog's 16th year).

Haha, I don't know about that. I find it to be delightfully depressing!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

That incarnation of Tharg perhaps wasn't considering the influence that story has had and continues to have.  Helltrekkers have turned up in countless (well, I'm not going to count them, anyway) stories since.  It's almost a Cursed Earth cliche now that you would happen upon a busted up rad-wagon where some hapless Helltrekkers have met their end underestimating the dangers of the Cursed Earth.

Plus, I was one of the readers that just enjoyed Helltrekkers on its own merits.  It was sort of a post-apocalyptic Waltons.

"Night, Jim-bob!"
"Aaaarrrrgghh!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Also being immersed in the 2000ad's 16th year as I currently am in my re-read its fair to say what is demned as cool and worth while to the editorial team of that time might not hold too much credance today!

Magnetica

Yes the concept of Helltrekkers is a good one and I can understand them turning up in Dredd from time to time.

That doesn't necessarily mean the original story was a good read. I can certainly understand it being high up on a list of all time worst 2000AD series.

TordelBack

I remember that, and it seemed ridiculous at the time. Nothing really wrong with Helltrekkers other than a lack of originality: grim, silly, great art. Plus I used it as a handy source of D&D NPCs and on-the-road situations, so it gets a pass from me.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2018, 10:23:36 PM

I remember that, and it seemed ridiculous at the time. Nothing really wrong with Helltrekkers other than a lack of originality: grim, silly, great art. Plus I used it as a handy source of D&D NPCs and on-the-road situations, so it gets a pass from me.

There's an idea - I'll have to mine it for D&D encounters and characters!

p.s. regarding that list of the worst stories - I thoroughly disagreed with most of what was on there - it's a wonder I stuck with the prog with editorial being so disrespectful of some of the highlights (it explains many of the lowlights of the nineties though).

IndigoPrime

What was that 'worst series' list printed in? I can't for the life of me find it.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 August, 2018, 10:11:18 AM
What was that 'worst series' list printed in? I can't for the life of me find it.

It must have been an annual / yearbook / summer/winter special, but wouldn't be able to tell you offhand which one - shall hit the internet and see if there are any clues...

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 17 August, 2018, 12:37:37 PM

It must have been an annual / yearbook / summer/winter special, but wouldn't be able to tell you offhand which one - shall hit the internet and see if there are any clues...

None yet - Barney is only really interested in stories (can't blame him!) and a few more general comics databases aren't complete on our niche of the worldwide comic scene.  There's nothing else for it, I'll have to hit the boxes of specials tonight.

IndigoPrime

I remember it vaguely, but had a quick scan through some digital copies (my print specials/annuals currently being behind a small wall of boxes), and couldn't find it. Frustrating! I was curious to know what else was in the mix.

AlexF

I'd be up for a Jim McCarthy based floppy that collected the Grudge Father(s) and Kid Cyborg.
And a Shaky 2000 with the two Soul Gun stories plus as many other oddities as he put out.

Noble failures they may be, but the nobility has to be worth some kind of airing.

Probably not actually better than much of the Treasury that I've never seen before!

Richard

I've looked bloody everywhere for that worst stories feature and I can't find it. Annoying!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 17 August, 2018, 12:37:37 PM

Possibly that Dredd special with the Chickenman on the cover? It stands out as I was known as 'Chickenman' at the time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

I think you must be right. That was the Complete Judge Dredd Special Edition 1994, or it may have been the 1995 issue. There were also a couple of Best of 2000AD Special Editions, starting in 1993, which was 2000AD's 16th year. I no longer have any of them, as they are entirely reprint -- except for the features! D'oh!

Barney:
http://2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=specials&choice=BOJD1994