Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 March, 2011, 07:31:29 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I love that movie, hopeless garish noisy mess that it is.  In my mind it captures the same level of OTT gothic romance that the original must have had at the time. And like a positron meeting an electron, Tom cancels out Keanu in an energetic burst of boobs.

vzzbux

Me and the missus watched The Human Centipede tonight, Karen fast forwarded quite a few bits of it but we still managed to reach the end. Still unsure what I make of it.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 06 March, 2011, 07:17:00 PM
The Adjustment Bureau. More like The Adjust-MEH-nt Bureau, amirite fellas?

Seriously though, this would have been a lot better off as a low-budget comedy.

Not a romantic bone in your body, even the semi-floppy one.

Jim_Campbell

Tron: Legacy ... which, I have to say, I didn't think sucked as badly as the reception it received here led me to expect. Perhaps having my expectations pre-lowered accounts for this, but there seemed to be enough plot to carry me through two hours, and a couple of times I found myself thinking: this is something I genuinely I haven't seen before... parts of the Light Cycle sequence and particularly [spoiler]the dog fight sequence at the end, combining with the soundtrack into something remarkable and unusual beauty.[/spoiler]

Digital Flynn didn't bother me as much as some, either. Rather, digital Flynn did and I wish they'd found another way to do those sequences. The slightly unnerving edge of unreality the CGI conferred on CLU, however, seemed entirely appropriate.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Dark City.
Watched this with a mate of mine, who despite being a huge film buff, had suprisingly never seen it.
I haven't watched this since it first came out to rent. Bloody good fun. Much superior to its contemporary The Matrix. I like its style.
You may quote me on that.

Van Dom

Quote from: vzzbux on 06 March, 2011, 10:42:42 PM
Me and the missus watched The Human Centipede tonight, Karen fast forwarded quite a few bits of it but we still managed to reach the end. Still unsure what I make of it.

V

I watched this the other night. Wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Think it was relatively well done, though the acting by the two girls was atrocious. Not that good acting is what you come to a movie like this expecting to see. The guy who played the doctor was pretty good though, as was the Japanese guy. Some terribly frustrating horror-movie cliches though - [spoiler]the main girl had a perfectly good opportunity to escape and go for help after getting out of the pool and she blew it by going back to try and bring her buddy with her , and why the Japanese dude didn't just kill the bastard when he had the chance instead of leaving him alive with the knife stuck in his leg I don't know... If I'd just gone through everything he had and had a chain of chicks stitched to my asshole, I wouldn't have hesitated to slice the fuckers throat!![/spoiler]
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Buddy

Watched INCEPTION on Saturday night.

Very average.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 07 March, 2011, 02:12:52 PM

Very average.

In what way average, what would you measure it too?

davethomson

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 March, 2011, 02:16:55 PM
Finally picked up a copy of Big Man Japan after seeing a clips here yonks ago. Brilliantly bonkers - bizarre monsters, great fights, and the between-fight interview bits were much funnier than I expected; but the last ten minutes - WTF was that? Can anyone explain that dreadful ending to me?

I saw the film a few nights ago thanks to you reminding me about it. I had heard about it ages ago and then totally forgot about it. I agree that it was excellent.

The ending (as far as I can tell) is a piss take of Ultraman, a very popular series in Japan that never made it out to the wider world apart from a SNES game.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Buddy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 March, 2011, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 07 March, 2011, 02:12:52 PM

Very average.

In what way average, what would you measure it too?

Very average in that I was expecting a powerful psychological thriller full of twists and turns with the whole dream within a dream... is what I'm watching a dream or reality kinda thing.

What I got was a reasonably straightforward thriller in which they 'traveled' to various 'levels' of dreams to reach their goal with each dream level having it's one wee set piece (a freight train traveling up the city street, the zero G corridor fight... the James Bond like attack on the fortress).

I don't think it's a bad film at all. Just not as good as I was expecting after all the praise that had been heaped on it.

Richmond Clements

Rango- went to see it with the children having no idea what it was about- I only knew that Depp did a voice.
Bloody incredible. Astounding animation and a cracking script.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Kerrin

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 March, 2011, 06:37:35 PM
Rango- went to see it with the children having no idea what it was about- I only knew that Depp did a voice.
Bloody incredible. Astounding animation and a cracking script.

I concur yer Lordship. Incredible animation and great fun. Loads of little film references and Depp is superbly funny. The textures, realism and lighting in this are a new level for what I've seen. There's a beautiful moonlit desert shot where I honestly couldn't tell if it was film or CGI. Great stuff.

SMOKESCREEN:ED:9

UM BUNGO! the musical...Laconic. :o

Jim_Campbell

X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Now, I'm remarkably tolerant of put-your-brain-in-neutral-and-watch-stuff-go-BOOOOOM movies, but that was fucking rubbish.

Mind you, I'd stopped reading comics when they introduced the whole "bone claws" thing, the brain-melting idiocy of which still stops me short every time.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.