Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_askham

Crystal Skull is like watching an old man going to a fancy dress party dressed as Indiana Jones.

JOE SOAP

Nothing wrong with 'old' Indiana Jones, it's old George Lucas I worry about.

abir_ahmed

The Tourist  is a 2010 romantic thriller film, starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. It is a remake of the 2005 French action film Anthony Zimmer. Despite the negative reception from the critics, the film was nominated for three Golden Globes, with a debate arising over the question if it was a comedy or a drama. But I really enjoyed the movie very much. 

botão espião

Albion

Thor.
Saw the 2D version. Thor is one of those Marvel characters that kind of passed me by and like most here I rather enjoyed it.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

The Legendary Shark

The Only Sci-Fi Movie You Need to Watch for the Rest of Your Life, apparently...

http://gizmodo.com/#!5744805/the-only-sci+fi-movie-you-need-to-watch-for-the-rest-of-your-life
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hoagy

Watching Film 4's Films for Life I uncovered a hidden gem that I was not going to watch at first. Ken Loach is largely heralded for such dreary drama for grown ups like My Name is Joe. A film I tried to be hip to but found it really difficult. Not because of the personal demons but because I could not understand some sort of documentary style drama set in echoic empty flats and sense of isolation it portrayed. I needed to suspend my disbelief more than in Empire Strikes Back when a little green man lifts a 50 tonne spacecraft, " with his mind" , to stop thinking about all the camera crew and luvvies sharing cucumber sandwiches behind the scenes.

" The Wind That Shakes the Barley" looked like more of the same. Even Cillian Murphy's been in some dire cinema. (I hate Disco Pigs). Then I read some more and... I got interested.1920's. Northern Irish disputes. A chance to actually get a more informed gauge on the troubles, from a unique perspective and period. " I'll give it a look, why not?"

Turns out it's a great film. A real drama with strategically placed action sequences and political edges with no fat on them. I don't know how accurate it is and I'm not too concerned. I trust Loach wouldn't handle this subject with too much procrastinate and would imagine many eyes are on it for its delivery. So I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you all, it was a well observed piece of cinema. From my comfortable armchair anyway.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Keef Monkey

Just watched Eyes Wide Shut, which was much better than the critical kicking it got would suggest. Maybe people expected too much, because I found I was engrossed throughout. My main criticism would be the performances and dialogue were very stilted and stiff, other than that it's a decent piece of work with that very Kubrick quality of taking it's time to draw you into the frame, making the long running time go by in a daze almost. Left me on a massive downer mind you, not wholly sure if that's the point, maybe that's just the way I'm feeling today.

The Legendary Shark

Die Tür (The Door, 2009). Very satisfying little film concerning love, betrayal, murder and time travel in a leafy German town. Well worth a watch.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2011, 04:09:29 PM
The Only Sci-Fi Movie You Need to Watch for the Rest of Your Life, apparently...

http://gizmodo.com/#!5744805/the-only-sci+fi-movie-you-need-to-watch-for-the-rest-of-your-life

Dear me. That NMA animation, insensitive as it was, cracked me up. Naughty people.

Judge Merlin

Watched Harry Potter and the deathly hallows part 1. Just as boring as the book but managed to sit through it. Just glad it was on dvd and not at the cinema. Looks like I'll give part 2 a miss on the big screen.

Tiplodocus

MOON - both me and the missus most impressed. Simple story, great perfromances by Sam Rockwell, reasonably happy ending.  Oh and love the  special effects. Very good and not the slightest bit flashy or intrusive.  Would CGI or bullet time have helped them tell the story any better? (No).

KNOWING - about half way through this and I think I'm tending towards the "quite good" camp despite another bland performance by Cage (he played a barely functioning alcoholic so well in Leaving Las Vegas but here seems to be channelling a soap opera.  Some nice carnage in the two disaster scenes so far (though, thankfully, the poor people in flames didn't look realistic).

(Next up is District 9. Yes, I bought that 3 films box set for about six quid (instead of an Easter Egg).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Emp

Jonah Hex.....four quid from Asda....i was never going to pay full price after the reviews.

It wasn't that bad a film.....but the music didn't go well. The pacing was fractured and the direction seemed a bit shoody in places, but for £4 i aint gonna bitch too much.

Mardroid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 May, 2011, 10:36:15 PM
(Next up is District 9. Yes, I bought that 3 films box set for about six quid (instead of an Easter Egg).

I took the 3 films box route a while back too. Knowing was the weakest for me, but only comparatively speaking. (The father/son hand gesture thing was dreadfully corny.) I think Moon was my favourite, but District 9 was good.

[spoiler]Never did quite work out why the fluid from an alien ship's engine systems would turn a human into an alien though...[/spoiler]

Orlok

Quotehttp://gizmodo.com/#!5744805/the-only-sci+fi-movie-you-need-to-watch-for-the-rest-of-your-life

I actually saw Robot on the plane back from Blighty. It veers between madness and creative lunacy in the space of a minute, then drives the car over the cliff by the time of the ball/snake thing.
Batshit insane.

JamesC

Quote from: Orlok on 04 May, 2011, 11:09:34 AM
Quotehttp://gizmodo.com/#!5744805/the-only-sci+fi-movie-you-need-to-watch-for-the-rest-of-your-life

I actually saw Robot on the plane back from Blighty. It veers between madness and creative lunacy in the space of a minute, then drives the car over the cliff by the time of the ball/snake thing.
Batshit insane.

What am I supposed to be looking at here? The link just seems to have loads of stuff about Osama Bin Laden.