Main Menu

The Boys TV series - Karl Urban cast as Butcher

Started by Steve Green, 06 April, 2018, 09:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 10 July, 2019, 06:32:20 AM
Wondering if the [spoiler]b'low job scene[/spoiler]
Will actually be included?!

If you mean when he [spoiler]blows the back of the girl's head off[/spoiler], then yes, it's in the teaser. The gore and violence is very graphic.

zombemybabynow

no i mean [spoiler]when the 7 guys make the new superheroine [who ends up dating hughy] - give them all head as an initiation [/spoiler]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Dandontdare

Not sure, but I'd say it's highly likely - doesn't look like they're pulling any punches.

Woolly

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 10 July, 2019, 03:37:55 PM
no i mean [spoiler]when the 7 guys make the new superheroine [who ends up dating hughy] - give them all head as an initiation [/spoiler]

Seriously? Thats in the comic?
I won't be reading that then. Or watching it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 10 July, 2019, 05:45:53 PM
Seriously? Thats in the comic?

Garth demonstrating those impeccable feminist credentials of his again...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

I read it as (and I am pretty sure it is author's intent) sexual assault and wrong, wrong, wrong though Even I can think of better ways to get the same story points across without resorting to stuff that some people will still see as titillation. So hopefully  the showrunners can too.

Memory may be wrong - long time since I read it.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

It's a critical event in the comic, and its impact on the character and indeed her sole female colleague creates several major story points and character moments ([spoiler]e.g. PoV character Wee Hughie utterly fails in his all-too believable male reaction to learning about it[/spoiler]). It's not played for laughs or titillation, but obviously i don't know how the TV version will handle that.

The Boys comic is indeed Ennis's usual gross-out comedy violence, but it's also quite a hard-hitting parable about real-world power and what such enormous imbalance means. This is the context for Starlight's "initiation". 

I actually think it's his most nuanced work, and definitely my favourite of his. But it does depend on extreme violence and degradation,sexual and scatological humour, so I don't think it's for everyone.

Jim_Campbell

Fair enough. I haven't read this, and it was a flippant remark. I've actively avoided Ennis' work for many years because I find much of his humour puerile and his recurring anal rape motifs often veered alarmingly close to homophobia for me.

But if this plays as you say, then my snark was misplaced, and is withdrawn.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Oh I could be reading it completely wrong, have no fear. I've grown to dislike a lot of Garth's stuff over the years, Preacher in particular sliding ever-lower in my opinions, but despite many of the same sadistic tropes and a heavy debt to Marshal Law, The Boys really grabbed me .

Richard

It deals with the issues #Metoo raised several years before that happened. I think it's likely that the tv people will make it topical like that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 July, 2019, 07:26:37 PM
Oh I could be reading it completely wrong, have no fear. I've grown to dislike a lot of Garth's stuff over the years, Preacher in particular sliding ever-lower in my opinions, but despite many of the same sadistic tropes and a heavy debt to Marshal Law, The Boys really grabbed me .

Very much this ☝, especially regarding Preacher  (whose worst crime is to treat the protagonist, a bullying, narcissistic gobshite, as some kind of Randian demigod).

The Boys is what changed my view of Garth Ennis.  The storyline is infinitely more sophisticated than that of Preacher, and ita characters way more complex.  There are certainly events in it that gave my liberal sensibilities a bit of a jolt but it's worth it for a rip-roaring madhouse of a comic with genuine cleverness and wit behind the sex, gore and explosions.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

zombemybabynow

QuoteSeriously? Thats in the comic?

Yup - it's hardcore violence, hardcore sex-stuff

I read it when it came out and due to it being a comic book, the gore didn't really affect me - whereas the tv trailer was yucksville

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

rogue69

Tiplodocus

A final trailer popped up on YouTube. Cautiously optimistic.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IAMTHESYSTEM

It's class war disguised a Superhero's vs the norms. I'm looking forward to seeing this though it does look a bit OTT gore wise which can be a turn off for some viewers.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla