Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

X-Men, Dark Phoenix.

Saw this last night and I now have a new favourite X film. Really enjoyable - though it is far from without flaws.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 07 June, 2019, 09:30:24 AM
X-Men, Dark Phoenix.

Saw this last night and I now have a new favourite X film. Really enjoyable - though it is far from without flaws.

Good to hear, the recent series (First Class onwards) have been among my favourite comic book movies so going to this tomorrow. It's getting a kicking from the critics but that's not stopped me enjoying them before!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 June, 2019, 09:35:12 AM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 07 June, 2019, 09:30:24 AM
X-Men, Dark Phoenix.

Good to hear, the recent series (First Class onwards) have been among my favourite comic book movies so going to this tomorrow. It's getting a kicking from the critics but that's not stopped me enjoying them before!

I'm going tomorrow too. Kevin Maher in The Times today gave it 2 stars out of 5 based on the fact that he thought there were not enough jokes in it  ::)

I never let his reviews put me off.

Theblazeuk

I thought Apocalypse was dire so.... not sure about this.

Hawkmumbler

Logan for me is where the saga ended. I've never much cared for X-Men, and the film series is the perfect manifestation of why.

Mattofthespurs

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Was going to see Dark Phoenix but as that will still be on next week and Godzilla probably not we chose to watch the latter.

Big mistake. It's very, very poor. It's biggest mistake was being boring.

Take out the humans and it probably would have been ok.

broodblik

Watched Dark Phoenix today and the movie is much better than the reviews make it out to be. I enjoyed this one more than Apocalypse
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Eamonn Clarke

Artic with Mads Mikkelsen is thoroughly splendid and engrossing viewing.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 08 June, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
It's biggest mistake was being boring.

To be fair, I'd imagine that wasn't planned in advance 😉
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 June, 2019, 11:20:05 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 08 June, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
It's biggest mistake was being boring.

To be fair, I'd imagine that wasn't planned in advance 😉

True, I don't think they set it out that way.

The Enigmatic Dr X

To repeat:

DO NOT WATCH GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

I fell asleep in the cinema.
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

I freaking loved King of the Monsters for the big budget Heisei bug nuts insane action pomp it was and I have zero guilt in admitting this kaiju fan was well and truly satisfied.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 09 June, 2019, 07:03:06 PM
To repeat:

DO NOT WATCH GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

I fell asleep in the cinema.

I'm in agreement. I liked Rampage. Really like Kong: Skull Island.

This was just so overwrought it sucked the life out of me.

Tiplodocus

I'm with GODZILLA block.

Sure there's a dull twenty to thirty  minutes in the middle on the sub but even that I rationalized by thinking "So the kid that's playing with all of their toys and smashing them together in a fight has been sent to have a bath so is continuing the story in their head as best as they can".

It is actively childish and more than stupid but for me, it delivered the smack downs I wanted and I could see what was going on.

They could have pushed the boat out a bit more with the other titans. And I'm not sure why you hire Charle and only have him barking orders that a second string baddie could have done. (Or have a cast deliver so much basil!)

But Looking forward to the next one.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

Christ, how bad was Venom?!
If it was aiming for that Deadpool level of irony, it failed abysmally!
It reminded me of a distinctly 90's version of a comic book movie-step forward Spawn!
To take a quote out of the film, what a turd in the wind!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo