Main Menu

What comics have brought a lump to your throat

Started by Alski, 11 July, 2012, 01:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alski

Okay, so I'm a manly man, I wrestle alligators and bears and shit, but reading "Death Of Spider Man: Fallout" today (just got the collected) I'm choking up! They killed Spidey! For real! Comics do NOT work like this!

I've read it before, and had the same reaction.

See also We3 (every freaking time) and Pride Of Bhagdad.

So... any of you have tear jerker moments?

or am I the only wuss?
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Mikey

America is the only comic that's done it so far.

Tell a lie - how could I forget Maus

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

The Monarch

I think I mentioned it on my blog but the death of [spoiler]crest (I know the spoiler is likely not needed but meh)[/spoiler] in Nikolai dante made me teary eyed.

Also to continue the theme the going merry from one piece also made me teary eyed as well...I cried for a BOAT!!!

Colin YNWA

I've never read Y The Last Man, it started when I was still not reading comics but on some feature on Comics Should be Good when it finished they showed the scene from the last issue between Yorick and Ampersand that made me cry even without any real context. Always meant to track down the series after that still to get around to it. Shame on me.

Link Prime

The Tale of One Bad Rat.
There...there was sumthin in my eye, goddamnit.

Roger Godpleton

I used to read 2000 AD on my lunch at my job handling radioactive waste.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SuperSurfer

I can only think of:

Maus (already mentioned). One of the more contemporary scenes, not during WWII.

Calvin & Hobbes. At least two stories. I've mentioned those here in the past but can't find them with search.

And now I think of it, when [spoiler]Nickolai Dante's mother died[/spoiler]. 

dweezil2

We3, Halo Jones, Judge Dredd: America, Judge Dredd: Bury My Knee At Wounded Heart, Charley's War and Skizz off the top of my head.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

Charlie rising from the waves at the end of the Terra Meks, Glyph's death in Halo Jones, Swoop's death in the UK Transformers (the first time it happened, anyway), Power Pack leaving home for NYC, the Phaedris' death in the UK Zoids, Ace Garp's "death" in a star, the disappearing Baby in Hell Trekkers... and despite all this proof of my being a big jessie I still laughed at the end of Pride of Baghdad - that it was supposed to be dead serious somehow just made it even funnier.

Apestrife

Judge Dredd: America: Wonderfully crafted and terrible sad. Especially Ben's relationship with Ami, I know exactly how such a "relationship" with a rebel girl you always wanted but couldn't get feels like...

100Bullets: It's almost like many of it's characters doesn't want revenge, but to make you, the reader, cry. Wylie runs the Voodoo down especially.

Watchmen: The thing Manhattan understands on Mars really does it for me. I don't cry, but when I read it, I strongly wish I could: I figure it'd feel nice.

Dark Jimbo

Another nod for Charlie's redemption at the end of the Terra Meks and [spoiler]Glyph's[/spoiler] death in Halo Jones, and an obligatory mention for We3; the Dante episode where he proposed to Jena, which really felt like the end of the series at the time and moved me far more than the actual end - and, while I think of it, the death of [spoiler]Andreas[/spoiler]; Johann's chat with the ghost of [spoiler]Roger[/spoiler] at the end of BPRD: Universal Machine; that bit in V for Vendetta where Evey learns the truth about her captivity; Hyde's noble sacrifice in LOEG II.
@jamesfeistdraws

JOE SOAP

The Prodigal

Quote from: Mikey on 11 July, 2012, 01:13:04 PM
America is the only comic that's done it so far.

Tell a lie - how could I forget Maus

M.

Just bought the reprint as a newbie and it certainly packs an emotional punch.

Eric Plumrose

When JJ got zapped in RETURN OF THE MEKON I was so mortified I couldn't read the rest of that week's episode.

The two Bernards' demise in WATCHMEN.

"Because I hate you." Yes, it's quite possibly THE most chilling moment in 2000 AD's history . . . but it's also one of the most heartbreaking, and for the exact same reason. It's Johnny Alpha saying it.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

vzzbux

Tried eating a Beano once, got stuck in my esophagus big time.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.