Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Hell no - it's more of an anarcho-syndicalist partnership focused on superior canine directives and requirements via the unqualified subordination of human-centric considerations.

Hang on a minute...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Something Fishy

Thanks jayz, it's encouraging to hear that.  The old dog never goes away forever but good to hear it can bigger off again for a while.

Something Fishy

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 February, 2018, 04:25:08 PM
Dogs have owners, cats have servants.  :D

Pigs have equals?   I'm sure I read Churchill say something like that.

Tjm86

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."

Terry Pratchett.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

paddykafka

I was awoken by the smoke alarm that went off in the business premises beside my flat at 4.10am this morning. I rang the local cop shop at 4.15am, spoke to an officer and gave him the necessary details. I asked if he could contact the local keyholders and was told that he would look into it.

Five hours and twenty minutes later the alarm was still ringing, as it had done so consistently throughout the night. So I got onto the business website and round-robined an email to every member of staff / management listed there, requesting them to get a keyholder out to the premises.

To be fair, the head-honcho of the business replied to my email and she had a guy out within the hour. It turns out that their system is banjaxed and needs to be upgraded. But at least the damn alarm has been switched off.

The lady who emailed me said that she had been in touch with the alarm company who monitor the company's fire and intruder alarm 24/7. They told her that the alarm hadn't gone off at all and assured her that they would know if it had. What made me laugh though, was that she wondered if it was any other alarm going off in the area. (I did briefly question my own sanity on this, until I spoke to a very aggrieved neighbour outside whose infant grand-daughter had been kept awake all night by the racket).

I assured this woman that, as I was living directly beside the business itself, I could indeed confirm that the alarm in question was most definitely functioning to an extremely loud degree, and that if she would like to call me up on my mobile I would be happy to stand outside the premises and provide the necessary validation.

I have not heard back from her since.

Tjm86

Having gone to hell and back the last 18 months with a very friendly employer who really does not seem to like staff with mental health conditions, my union informed me on Friday that a settlement offer had been made that would allow time to get over the crap they've put me through and prepare myself for the new job that I was offered. 

Now saying since I have a job to go to in September they're withdrawing the cash part of the settlement that would have seen us through until then, leaving on monday rather than the end of August as per my contract.  Union looking into the legality but pretty sure that since it was only agreed in principle its unlikely to stand scrutiny.  So looks like it's going to be back into the hell hole, fighting off a spurious disciplinary and a complaint against boss for discrimination.

Said it before and I'll say it again; do not disclose mental health problems to employers.

The Legendary Shark

That's appalling, Tjm.

If it were me I'd just leave and find another path. However, that's just me - I don't have a family, mortgage or debts to worry about so it probably doesn't help you in the least. Sorry.

Is there any way you could do what you do for yourself, as a freelancer or something?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

I'm a teacher so yes and no.  It would take time to get the Disclosure Barring Service check.

I am trying to leave.  In fact I've got a job to go to.  It's very very clear they don't want me there and they've actually managed to achieve a complete relapse on my BPD which I was actually getting on top of until I started working there.  The original settlement would have allowed me to undo a lot of their damage with luck and hard work.

It gets better though.  I've now been asked to provide a sick note for a period of time that I was not expected to work.

Sorry for ranting, I just needed to let off steam somewhere safe.

Thanks for listening.

The Legendary Shark

Rant away, mate, that's what we're here for.

This place has helped me through some difficult times so I reckon it'll help you too. I'm just a pm or email away if you need some private venting.

Strength and love.

TLS.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Can't offer any advice or help Tjm, but have a biccy :)

Tjm86

Cheers.  Got any Bourbon's though?  Not a fan of Custard Creams (sorry, being picky aren't I).

von Boom

Tjm86

Ta.  Do like a nice bourbon.  Something very comforting about them.