Main Menu

Artist fuel - will you draw for beer?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 11 October, 2018, 10:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I was wondering if any artist type fancied doing me a beer label?

Two mates and I went to a "brew your own" thing in a local craft brewery (Drygate in Glasgow) and now have 40-60 litres of bespoke beer fermenting away. It should - should - taste like a cross between Peroni and Punk IPA. It will be ready in mid-December.

It will be bottled. We need to prepare a label. I'm awaiting a blank template. The label needs to have certain legal warnings on it, as it is proper pukka stuff, so you need all the nonsense about drinking sensibly. The brewery will provide those.

So, is anyone kind enough to draw up a label? Your reward is a slice of the beer (amount determined by the volume produced!), bottled and with your label on it.

The beer's name is "The Sundry Guest".

PM me or post if you're interested. (But I am going to be away until Sunday).

Cheers.

Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

Hmmm.  As someone who makes his living from painting and drawing, I'm not really on board with this kind of thing at all.  No offence, Doctor, but can't you just pay professional artists as you'd pay any other kind of professional?  Put it this way, if you needed an accountant for your brewery (which you will), would you ask them if they'd work for beer?  I realise you're asking in good faith, but this is the kind of thing that propogates the notion that creative workers shouldn't get paid like any other workers.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

My dad wanted to borrow the neighbour's tractor to bring in the peats. The neighbour needed a new kitchen cabinet.  Barter. It's okay.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

CalHab

Judging by the low volume involved (and knowing that brewery does brew-your-own days), it sounds like this is a bit of fun rather than a commercial venture. I may be wrong, though.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: CalHab on 11 October, 2018, 03:08:17 PM
Judging by the low volume involved (and knowing that brewery does brew-your-own days), it sounds like this is a bit of fun rather than a commercial venture. I may be wrong, though.

In which case, fair enough. And rereading the original post, that does seem to be the case.

Personally, I've been offered enough 'opportunities' to work long and hard for no money to last me a lifetime, and it does my head in to see other creative workers buying into it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

It's somewhere between 40 and 90 bottles of beer that I've paid for. You go to the brewery and mix it, send them a label and they print and bottle.

It's not a business at all. It's fancy home brew.  I paid for it for a pal's 50th.

I thought an artist might fancy real beer with a label they drew. It is wholly a one off.

I wouldn't be so rude as to ask for a freebie for a business.
Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

Fair enough; that's a different situation altogether.  And at least you're offering something genuine in return, rather than the dreaded 'E'-word that suckers many young and inexperienced artists while sending us more seasoned ones into a blind fury.

Barter is a good thing, to be fair. Only last week I did a mural on my neighbour's boat, in exchange for him fixing my boat engine, saving us both hundreds.