Main Menu

Justice League 2017

Started by JamesC, 21 June, 2016, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Early review round-up: OUCH.

QuoteIt [...] feels like so much attention was paid to the smaller, fizzier character moments that the bigger picture of the film's overarching plot was a second or third priority...

Translation: "Whedon fixed the bits he could."
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Saw it in news yesterday that film producer said Joss Whedon only did 15-20% of the film.
(Maybe that producer should shut up)

radiator

I can't believe I'm typing this, but apparently the much-publicised cg-aided removal of Henry Cavill's mustache genuinely hurts the film, as he has a pronounced weird uncanny valley face for the affected scenes.

Bizarre.

radiator

QuoteStrange as a Rotten Tomato delay the reviews - is that bad omen?

As I understand it, Rotten Tomatoes has been banned from posting reviews until a week after release.

I'm sure it's merely a coincidence that Warner owns RT...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: matty_ae on 15 November, 2017, 04:36:07 PMI agree Wonder Woman is the best
Doesn't really want me want to seek out the others, then. Mrs G and I were both rather disappointed with WW. (I mean, it was fine, but I think our expectations were quite high.)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 15 November, 2017, 07:22:56 PM
QuoteStrange as a Rotten Tomato delay the reviews - is that bad omen?

As I understand it, Rotten Tomatoes has been banned from posting reviews until a week after release.

I'm sure it's merely a coincidence that Warner owns RT...

WB own a minority stake in the merged entities of Flixter/RottenTomatoes/Fandango but it's Comcast/Fandango own Rotten Tomatoes.

RT reviews are up tomorrow but the percentage score has all ready leaked.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/14/16648850/justice-league-rotten-tomatoes-score

Goaty

Quote from: radiator on 15 November, 2017, 07:21:23 PM
I can't believe I'm typing this, but apparently the much-publicised cg-aided removal of Henry Cavill's mustache genuinely hurts the film, as he has a pronounced weird uncanny valley face for the affected scenes.

Bizarre.

Yeah but why report that? thought some films would be secret etc?

JamesC

Pleasantly surprised - I really enjoyed that.

My girlfriend found much humour in the fact that Superman had been buried with a picture of Kevin Costner. It did seem quite funny out of context.

dweezil2

What a turkey!

Flat, uninspired direction, equally flat performances, ropey effects and a excruciatingly formulaic and cliche ridden plot.
I'm really at a loss to find any positives-maybe some of the Amazonian home world stuff.
Worse still, it was unrelenting tedious-an utterly depressing and hollow experience.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 17 November, 2017, 07:29:17 PM
Pleasantly surprised - I really enjoyed that.

Likewise. Perhaps having my expectations pre-lowered helped, but I really did enjoy it.

I have to concur with previous criticism of the DC/Warner movies, in as much as they desperately need to fire their production and costume designers and find an aesthetic that isn't so unrelentingly ugly, but otherwise, it was fine.

I'm not even going to play the "Well, clearly Joss Whedon did all the bits I liked" game, because i thought it all hung together pretty well. Having skipped BvS, this was my first encounter with Affleck's Wayne/Batman, and he's fine. Cyborg's a bit dull, but the other characters all work well, and I'd certainly plonk down cash for Momoa's solo Aquaman movie.

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 November, 2017, 05:28:06 PMHaving skipped BvS, this was my first encounter with Affleck's Wayne/Batman, and he's fine.

I had the good fortune not to see BvS at the cinema, but instead eventually watched the extended version on disc. Like the few others I've spoken too in the same position, I quite enjoyed it - possibly the benefit of extremely low expectations (I was a bit disappointed by WW for the opposite reason). However, one thing that came out of it for me is that Ben Affleck is my favourite Batman and my favourite Bruce Wayne by far. An absolute thug of a man.

(I still like Michael Keaton, although the awe I felt as a 19 year old watching Batman has long since evaporated.)

Regards,

Robin

Michael Knight

Saw Justice League the other night and have to say i really enjoyed it. Far from a perfect film but was fun with a healthy dose of humour to this one that was missing from batman v superman. I think im going to watch it again.

robert_ellis

I thought Justice League was pretty good. It had to introduce 3 new characters, bring superman back to life and reconcile the 4 previous movies. It's no classic but it manages to make all 6 characters likeable and even inject positivity into the DC world. My kids loved the Flash & I'm looking forward to whatever comes next. Batman v Supes was a terrible doom laden mess which this pretty much manages to get rid of the taste of. Not sure why it's getting all the hate.

Mattofthespurs

I loved Justice League. It was well thought out but with a definite hint of fun whilst treating the subject material with respect. It never veered over into full comedy like Thor Ragnorok did, and I enjoyed both films, but I would give Justice League the upper hand, slightly.
I agree that Ben Affleck is my favourite Batman. There are times when you think he will be beaten. Not too happy with his use of fire arms but I'm an old f*ck having grown up with the caped crusader since the late 70's.
It was fun, but it took itself seriously, and as a comic fan, I loved that.

Some serious emotional scenes as well as some comic ones.

In my humble opinion, ignore the 'popular press' and just go, release yourself, try not to think to hard, and look at Gal Godot's bum...A lot.

Apestrife

Just got home from watching it. Some of the CGI wasn't the best, and the pacing could'v used a couple of extra minutes, but I really enjoyed it. I thought it managed to balance all the characters really well. Felt like character moments over story. Really enjoyed things like [spoiler]superman carrying a whole apartment house, or the alien tentacle goo turning into a bunch of alien flowers[/spoiler]. Felt like watching a super hero comic book come to life, and made me look forward to Shazam :)