Main Menu

Wonder Woman 2017

Started by Apestrife, 03 November, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 July, 2017, 07:30:14 AM
I'm trying to follow the logic here: some cinemas bowed to pressure groups and didn't screen a documentary celebrating the whining of the most pathetic movement humanity has yet to devise, and that justifies Rogue Earthlet making things up about a fantasy movie he hasn't even seen, or apparently even read the Wikipedia summary of? The phrase that keeps popping into my head is 'seek professional help', but I doubt there's any available that would answer.

No-one is denying the problems facing men and boys in a society that is just beginning to think about offering a level playing field to all its members, but systematically and (worse) ignorantly knocking each of the tiny handful of female-led genre movies is an absurd reaction.

Have you seen The Red Pill? Or any of the interviews with the director, Cassie Jaye, a many award winning film maker?

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: Modern Panther on 24 July, 2017, 05:30:41 PM
QuoteIf WW killing men is entertainment, if those being killed are women is it still entertaining?

Yes.  Although for that to work as a narrative, it would need to be set during an international conflict during which the vast majority of participants were women, during an age where men were largely disenfranchised.  And for it to really work as entertainment, you'd have to market to men who continue to be underrepresented in the medium.   If you can find one of those, you should absolutely unknot your panties and write a screenplay about it.

I don't have the option of making a film, so I've written a story and drawn some pictures.
I don't deny that women have grounds for complaint, just making the point that gender bias is not totally one-sided. In cinema, since its beginning, women have been sex objects and men targets for violence, and both situations still apply.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 25 July, 2017, 11:30:59 PMIn cinema, since its beginning, women have been sex objects and men targets for violence, and both situations still apply.

Men are rarely sex objects, and women are also targets for violence. In case you hadn't noticed.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: Frank on 24 July, 2017, 08:16:32 PM
Quoteif those being killed are women is it still entertaining?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkJ2bZGuiaI

Martial arts fights between a heroine and a villainess occur in films every now and then. But with mass killing it's always men on the receiving end, as can be seen in this clip from the same film,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3aFv8IQb4s

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: Frank on 24 July, 2017, 08:28:06 PM

See also: every horror film since Hallowe'en and the dozens of TV shows with morgue scenes that devote 20 minutes of screen time to the blue lips and nipples of a gorgeous, naked, teenage corpse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=atjhOhH-V3E

These killings aren't presented as justified.

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: Smith on 25 July, 2017, 07:16:16 AM
Which again brings the question,why is this different then every other action movie?
As for why not WW2...well,Captain America did that already,and WB/DC didnt want to be too obvious.
American civil war?To be fair,North didnt need help there,so it would be pointless.

Britain, France and the USA won WW1 without any help from super beings. The reason I mentioned another scenario, like the American Civil War, and I think I made this clear, is that the money to make WW would never have been made available unless there were 'safe', in Hollywood terms, villains. Germans got the role.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 25 July, 2017, 11:54:07 PM

See also: every horror film since Hallowe'en and the dozens of TV shows with morgue scenes that devote 20 minutes of screen time to the blue lips and nipples of a gorgeous, naked, teenage corpse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=atjhOhH-V3E

Your original criticism concerns the killing of women as 'entertainment' which is what Frank gave you a clear example of – and the notion of 'justification' doesn't even come into most horror films. It's purely to exploit, shock and titillate.

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 04 July, 2017, 11:36:48 PM...if violence against men is acceptable entertainment, shouldn't the same be true if the recipients of violence are female?

TordelBack

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 25 July, 2017, 11:58:14 PMHi
Britain, France and the USA won WW1 without any help from super beings. The reason I mentioned another scenario, like the American Civil War, and I think I made this clear, is that the money to make WW would never have been made available unless there were 'safe', in Hollywood terms, villains. Germans got the role.

Watch the film, you muppet: the Germans aren't the villains in WW.  I'm going to spoil the shit out of it here because I'm sick of your wilful ignorance: [spoiler]the war is almost over when WW arrives in England, as in the real world Germany is almost bankrupt and the Armstice is imminent. Ares, the actual villain, in the person of British War Council member Sir Patrick Morgan, works to perpetuate the war by influencing a woman, Dr Maru, aka Dr Poison, to create a lethal gas and essentially restart the war. Because of the nature of her meeting with Trevor, Diana initially believes the allies to be the goodies she should support, but a chat with a Native American commando makes her realise that the US is just as capable of evil as the Germans: freed from Ares' influence in the end, German soldiers embrace Trevor's commandos.  The conflict WW is involved in is between the Amazons and Ares, not the Allies and Germany: Diana is the 'god killer', created to stop Ares and his War, not fight Germans: that's just Ares' distraction.[/spoiler]

And I watched as much of The Red Pill as I could stomach. It's intellectually dishonest propaganda masquerading as a documentary, lacking only the visual flair of Triumph of the Will. MRA is a stain on manhood and humanity in general.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 23 July, 2017, 11:59:45 PMI've started a Facebook page about it, here,

https://www.facebook.com/PetalPopsy-and-Pepsy-258408847972872/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

That's like a horrifying glimpse into a parallel universe in which Buttonman is Robert Crumb.

Smith

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 25 July, 2017, 11:58:14 PM
Quote from: Smith on 25 July, 2017, 07:16:16 AM
Which again brings the question,why is this different then every other action movie?
As for why not WW2...well,Captain America did that already,and WB/DC didnt want to be too obvious.
American civil war?To be fair,North didnt need help there,so it would be pointless.

Im sure there were a few other countries that deserve some credit there,but thats another story...
You might have figured it out by now,but its not a documentary.

Modern Panther

Hey, its tough being a straight white male in the 21st century.  Things used to be all about me.  Now they're only 98% about me. 

Tiplodocus

It's set in "the war to end all wars" because that's central to the theme of the movie. Which again, you would know if you watched it.

Not only is your thinking backwards, your arguments are ill-informed and, most importantly, none of this will help you get laid.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Smith

Burn Heal,now sold in every Pokemart.

Smith

Okay,seriously now-I don't usually feel the need to point this out but-its just a movie.No grand conspiracy behind it,other then making money.

Frank

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 25 July, 2017, 11:54:07 PM

See every horror film since Hallowe'en

Neither are the killings in Wonder Woman*. Thank you for your time.

* see Tordelback's spoiler post.