Main Menu

Am I missing something?

Started by Tjm86, 15 July, 2017, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

It occurs to me that so much of what is out there is so negative, vitriolic and downright nasty that this site really does seem like some sort of oasis.  I mean I know that we have our differences, that some threads (I"m thinking the recent Dr Who thread or the political thread) can get a bit heated, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule.  Even there views and ideas are respected.

We have a number of members of this board with serious needs that get all the support they need, that are welcomed with open arms.  There are only a handful of members that have ever been barred and even then it has been after a prolonged exploration of alternatives.  Disagreements are met with respect and an appreciation of different views first of all.  We try to find solutions to problems rather than focusing on the problems.  We have a broad but respectful church here.  It just feels like it is unusual on the internet. 

Answers on a postcard ...

Colin YNWA

Amen brother - testify.

By far the best place on the internet for all our petty slap fights. You hear of folk who storm off and pout about what a rotten place the board is elsewhere on this here internettie but by George I just don't see it.

TordelBack

Tharg has been putting trace amounts of MDMA in the cover ink since at least 1988. 

Trout

I think it works in cycles. There's have been times when this board seemed to have more than its fair share of monstrous wankers, but I've also made some great friends here.

Also it helps if, like me, you never look at the political thread and just assume the Doctor Who critics are wrong.  :lol:

- Trout

Smith

Zarjazzer

We've had our problems like any community of people. Tossers, (apart from me) generally get called out and eventually go elsewhere.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Something Fishy

Bolt-01

Eventually everyone who posts here comes back. Even if they just lurk, they are still here.

This 'virtual' place is a reflection of all those who post in one way or another.

Everyone comes back.

But not everyone signs in...

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 July, 2017, 10:27:11 PM
Everyone comes back.

But not everyone signs in...

Tagline for a Netflix supernatural series if ever I heard one.

Fungus

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 July, 2017, 09:21:11 PM
Answers on a postcard ...

There was no question...  :-\

It's the only worthwhile talky place on the internet, I find. I frequent a couple other sites, just for art-based stuff, keeps me sane. FB I find horrendous, I look at it periodically and *always* wish I hadn't. Its appeal utterly escapes me.

Tjm86

Very true ...

Perhaps it should have been 'discuss'.   ::)

Kudos to the mods.  Yes, there have been some questionable views expressed.  Some topics are always going to inspire controversy (Carlos Ezquerra is the greatest artist to ever live and to suggest otherwise is heresy the requires death by stoning, or 10 minutes with Nigel Farage) but generally alternative views are treated with respect and explored courteously.   

Tiplodocus

The question is in the thread title.

And the answer is "Probably. But then, aren't we all?".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 July, 2017, 09:30:26 AM
The question is in the thread title.

I knew you were going to say that...
S'pose the title doesn't reflect the post, in this case.
Looking forward to the dissenting voice who doesn't appreciate the forum but masochistically feels compelled to visit.

sheridan

I said the following on another thread, but may as well repeat it here.
Part of it is surely that many of us actually meet up with each other in real life (at signings, pub meets, conventions, etc) and so we can't pretend that the people behind the words are just digital signals instead of real people.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Trout on 15 July, 2017, 11:21:42 PM
monstrous wankers

What did you call me!

Actually, fair comment.