Main Menu

Shane Black's The Predator

Started by Goaty, 16 February, 2016, 11:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Big teaser image of new film, even it not start filming yet! I am glad it is in Shane Black's hands.

Back in November, screenwriter Fred Dekker revealed on his Facebook page that he had finished the script for 20th Century Fox's highly-anticipated Predator sequel, which he had co-written with Shane Black, who is set to direct. We haven't had any updates on the long-awaited project since then, but earlier today, the official Facebook and Twitter accounts for the movie revealed a new poster, which comes with the tagline "You'll never see him coming." The poster also teases that the new title may be The Predator, but that hasn't been confirmed by the studio. Last week, Fred Dekker also posted a cryptic update on his Facebook page, which you can read below. "I cannot say where I was this morning, or what I saw, or what we talked about. But if you are a PREDATOR fan? One word: YES." Does this all mean that The Predator has started production? It's possible, but also unlikely, since no cast members have been announced at this time. Of course, the studio could have been keeping all casting and plot details under wraps until officially announcing that production has gotten under way, but, then again, we don't have anything official from the studio yet. Shane Black did confirm back in June 2014 that this project is in fact a sequel, and not a reboot as originally rumored, but we still don't have any updates about what the story will be about. The original Predator hit theaters in 1987, which actually featured Shane Black in his acting debut as Hawkins. Predator 2 followed in 1990, starring Danny Glover, but the creature didn't surface on the big screen again until Alien Vs. Predator in 2004, followed by 2007's Aliens Vs. Predator - Requiem. The last installment in the franchise was Predators in 2010. What isn't clear at this point is how this Predator sequel will address the stories told in the previous films. Since this is a sequel, and not a reboot, it's possible that Predator stars Arnold Schwarzenegger and Carl Weathers, Predator 2's Danny Glover and the surviving characters in Predators could conceivably return for this project. But since no cast members have been announced yet, we'll just have to wait and see who comes on board. With the release of this new poster, it seems clear that the project is finally moving forward, although 20th Century Fox hasn't issued a release date at this time. While we wait for more details on The Predator, take a look at the new poster below, and chime in with your thoughts about this long-awaited project. Do you think Shane Black and Fred Dekker can restore this franchise's former glory? Or do you think it's yet another sequel that doesn't necessarily need to happen?

Professor Bear

Dekker is a terrible director but a good writer, while Shane Black makes films for your inner 12 year old.
I'll risk jinxing it by saying it can't be worse than Predators or AvP2.

TordelBack

Quote from: Ollamh Iompróidh on 16 February, 2016, 12:04:35 PM
I'll risk jinxing it by saying it can't be worse than Predators or AvP2.

You're sweet.

Hawkmumbler

It COULD be worse than AVPR (i'll defend Predators though) but I doub't it, a good lighting techy would automatically make it a better movie.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Arnie will be in it. 'cos he likes a payday and past glory.
Lock up your spoons!

GordonR

Carl Weathers didn't survive the first movie.  Well, maybe he did, but our last sight of him - arm blown off and being gutted on the Predator's wrist blades - would suggest otherwise.

JamesC

Quote from: GordonR on 16 February, 2016, 02:13:09 PM
Carl Weathers didn't survive the first movie.  Well, maybe he did, but our last sight of him - arm blown off and being gutted on the Predator's wrist blades - would suggest otherwise.

Sounds like the perfect excuse for his twin brother to wreak green-blooded revenge on the Predator race in this sequel.

Spikes

Tentatively excited about this.
The Predator, along with Giger's Alien, are such great creations - and the piss poor films of late haven't diminished that, really.

Don't let us down, Mr Black!

CrazyFoxMachine

I love Shane Black, I'm sure it'll be fine and we'll all get the perfect Predator threequel that's been so long denied us.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Remove this post mods it's me wavering hands again.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IAMTHESYSTEM

Hollywood reboots the past because it's cheaper than doing something new. I have low expectations but there is some talent on this project so perhaps it won't be too dreadful.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

ThryllSeekyr

Never had a problem with the sequel as it's become a trademark thing that the alien would always choose a different prey. Maybe if the related films that came afterwards followed that same theme, and stuck to the same formula. That might have made up for Vs, One & Two, and Predators.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 21 February, 2016, 11:01:58 AM
Hollywood reboots the past because it's cheaper than doing something new.

Not really cheaper but lazier by relying on past glories and established, recognisable titles.

Professor Bear

It's just commerce - they own the property, so why not see a return on it?
I've come around to remakes ever since they remade Star Wars last year as a female superhero film and everyone said it was the greatest thing ever.  It doesn't seem worth the effort anymore to argue.

Spikes

Just go with the flow, and smile through gritted teeth as the 'you're one ugly mother...' line is reused.
Again.