Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 February, 2018, 10:07:02 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 February, 2018, 05:48:56 PM

If the idea is to bar violent or unstable people from owning weapons then it must extend to all violent or unstable people, irrespective of whether they work for government or not.

Speaking as a teacher with a mental health problem, the idea of having a firearm fills me with dread.  In fact, as an ex-serviceman who was taken off live armed duty, I seriously question the sanity of such an approach.  This is one of those occasions when Sharky and I are completely on the same wavelength. 

.... and in today's news, a teacher with a mental health problem decides it's 'take a gun to work day'!

Now we did not see that coming did we?   :o

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 March, 2018, 02:08:51 PM
And speaking of the banned word, has the biggest one of all finally suggested doing something that isn't appalling?  For the first time ever, I can say that I hope his latest policy is taken seriously.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/28/trump-background-checks-gun-control

He must have read somewhere that 80% of voting-age Americans are in favour of gun control...

Wonder how long before he reads something else?

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 28 February, 2018, 05:58:02 PM
Perhaps we could try 'queynte'?  Good enough for Chaucer?

Intersting and totally useless piece of information; according to wikipedia there used to be a Gropec**t Lane in London.  It seems that it was quite a common name to reflect the main trade conducted there!   :o
Also in York, and many other cities (though both the ones in York and London are now known as 'Grape Lane').

Tjm86

Aye, that was one of the things that turned up during a rather interesting 5 minutes procrastination research.  Makes you wonder how many other street names have been sanitised over the years and what their past was.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 06 March, 2018, 10:33:39 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 March, 2018, 02:08:51 PM
And speaking of the banned word, has the biggest one of all finally suggested doing something that isn't appalling?  For the first time ever, I can say that I hope his latest policy is taken seriously.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/28/trump-background-checks-gun-control

He must have read somewhere that 80% of voting-age Americans are in favour of gun control...

Wonder how long before he reads something else?

Quite a while, I suspect, unless it's very short and mentions his name in big letters.  https://nypost.com/2017/05/17/how-trumps-aides-trick-him-into-reading-press-briefings/
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

Does that link say Alphabetti Spaghetti?

Tjm86

I love the comment about him being a visualiser and loving diagrams.  I bet what the guy wanted to say was, "If it doesn't have pictures we've no hope.  Oh, and great big letters."

von Boom

They should write the reports on old Playboy magazines. Instead of the girls' information, put what needs to be read:

Isreal is a country in the Middle-East at the eastern end of the MED-DA-TA-RAY-NEE-AN sea... (should also probably be spelled phonetically).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: von Boom on 07 March, 2018, 06:36:50 PM
Isreal [...] (should also probably be spelled phonetically).

Or at least correctly! :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 March, 2018, 07:56:00 PM
Isreal [...] (should also probably be spelled phonetically).

Or at least correctly! :-)

*face-palm*

sheridan

They should write the reports on old Playboy magazines. Instead of the girls' information, put what needs to be read:

Isreal is a country in the Middle-East at the eastern end of the MED-DA-TA-RAY-NEE-AN sea... (should also probably be spelled phonetically).

Things are getting heated between Miss Israel and Miss Palestine...

The Legendary Shark

"A pale stein? Are we having beer? That's great!"

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Continuing the news that Trump's weapons in schools policy is so hare brained it is unreal ...

Can I congratulations to our American brethren for electing the physical incarnation of Bad Bob Booth?

IndigoPrime

Tjm86

For the Tories, Sovereignty equals whatever is in the best interest of themselves / their donors.  Clearly the Skripral incident has got their Russian donors spooked.To quote Camelot, "it could be you!"