Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

We live 75 miles from the nearest cinema, so go rarely- but we made the trip to see True Grit last week, and boy was it worth it.

Just watched A Mighty Wind, which I haven't seen in years. It is magnificent.

Mardroid

The X-Files (second movie)

It didn't strike me as very good. To be fair, being at a friend's house I did miss some bits though, but I don't think my assessment will be changed.  The main story elements weren't that bad though. If they'd removed the fluff and corny stuff and shrunk it down it would have made a decent episode. Not that they're making those any more, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Oh and The Human Centipede is on tonight at 9 on the Syfy channel.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 March, 2011, 08:20:09 PM
Oh and The Human Centipede is on tonight at 9 on the Syfy channel.

Scratch that. It's on at 10pm. (Sorry for repeat post, I timed out before noticing my error.)

Keef Monkey

I wasn't keen on that X-Files movie either, it struck me that even if it had been an episode it wouldn't have been a particularly memorable or noteworthy one. Seemed really strange that given the one-off chance to do another slice of X-Files they went with that story. It did reawaken some Scully emotions though. Mmmmmm.

Mrpepperami

Watched double bill of true grit and then drive angry 3d afterwards. True grit was superb although thought the ending was slightly sloppy. Drive angry I think was total shit but also enjoyed it as it knew it was and went with it( if that makes sense). Girl in was really fit as well which probably helped offset watching nic cages' gurning mug for 2 hours.

Kerrin

Late to the party I know but I just saw 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' at the cinema. Absolutely fucking brilliant. Noomi Rapace is a real turn up for the books as Lisbeth and the whole thing was filmed in those wonderful washed out Swedish tones I love so much from Wallander, (the Swedish one, not that Brannagh bollocks). Not surprising when it was made by the same people, Yellowbird. Must see the other two now.

Daveycandlish

If yo can Kerrin, see them as  a double bill because the second one is slow with no definite end - very much a to be continued.

Worth persevering with though as all the threads come together in the third which is almost as good as the first
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Dandontdare

Finally picked up a copy of Big Man Japan after seeing a clips here yonks ago. Brilliantly bonkers - bizarre monsters, great fights, and the between-fight interview bits were much funnier than I expected; but the last ten minutes - WTF was that? Can anyone explain that dreadful ending to me?

radiator

Went to see The King's Speech yesterday - wasn't too fussed about going, but my girlfriend was very keen. Really liked it, much to my surprise. Extremely well made film, with great performances throughout. A shameless crowd-pleaser through and through, but a charming film - I'm glad it has done so well.

When we got in we watched Thank You For Smoking, which I picked up for £1.50 on PlayTrade the other day. It's a black comedy about the tobacco industry with a top notch cast featuring Aaron Eckhart, William H Macy and - JK Simmons, who seems to be in every other film I watch these days (but he's so cool I don't mind!).

We both really liked it - it's actually broadly similar to Jason Reitman's other movie Up in the Air, but a little less accomplished. Still great though, and very much recommended. Again - central to my enjoyment of it was that it clocks in at under 90 mins, which just zips by.

Keef Monkey

Last night we watched (I'd seen them, my mate hadn't) Doomsday and The Orphanage.

I was actually pretty rough on Doomsday when I saw it in the cinema, but watching it with a pizza in good company I actually enjoyed it a lot this time. It's ripping off Escape From New York, Aliens, Mad Max 2 and Gladiator, but it's not shy about it and just managing to combine all that stuff is pretty impressive. And Rhona Mitra is quite something.

And The Orphanage is still one of the best horror movies of the last few years, brilliantly creepy and with a fair bit of emotional substance in there too.

Albion

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. Insane but fun.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Roger Godpleton

The Adjustment Bureau. More like The Adjust-MEH-nt Bureau, amirite fellas?

Seriously though, this would have been a lot better off as a low-budget comedy.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SmallBlueThing

Bram Stoker's Dracula. The frankie Coppola version, which i listened to more than watched as my service users put it on this afternoon. Despite its obvious keanu, winona and hopkins-shaped flaws, i cant help loving it. Nearly twenty years old (which means reeves is twenty years closer to retirement, yay!) but it's still the best vampire movie since, oh i dunno, Scars of Dracula, he says arbitrarily.
SBT

Albion

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 March, 2011, 07:31:29 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I still have the comic adaptation of that featuring art by Mike Mignola.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

SmallBlueThing

So do i, along with the little plastic bags they came in, and the trading cards. Although, thinking about it, i may have sent them to locusts for his war effort.
SBT