Main Menu

Small-press pimping - MARTILLO

Started by Greg M., 30 October, 2013, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

It's almost Halloween – and that means it's time for some small-press pimping! One of the highlights of last year's Xmas on the forum was the page-a-day Judge Dredd epic by megabus aka David Broughton. David and I have now teamed up to create our own small-press action / horror epic – Martillo: Devil Smiter!

The year is 1948, and Spain is under Fascist rule – a fertile breeding ground for supernatural wickedness. Enter Martillo – a former member of the Civil Guard, a servant of the Saint of Labourers, and Madrid's least subtle priest. When Martillo encounters evil, he lives up to his name - 'The Hammer' - and smites it good. This collection of stories sees him smiting pagan storm-gods, metal-obsessed spectres, sadistic thorn-monsters, gold-eating devil-weasels, hungry bogeymen and the ungodly terror of Pablo Picasso himself! But can even Martillo save a nation still bearing the psychic scars of the Civil War?

Featuring scenes of goat-defenestration and Cubism gone bad, I am honoured to note that this beauty even contains a piece of interior guest-art by none other than Judge Dredd supremo Ben Willsher!

Anyway, here's some of David's cracking art as a preview – I think this comic features some of the best work he's ever done (and readers of 'Zarjaz' and 'Dogbreath' will know he's done some good stuff.) What's more, he's lettered the bloomin' thing himself too - he does not sleep!

This 52-page US format comic is £5 + P&P, available from Comicsy:
http://www.comicsy.co.uk/martillo/store/products/martillo/

It's a bargain, I tell you! Go on – try a bit of continental evil! General Franco approves!

CrazyFoxMachine

You taking this to any conventions - ? I'll buy one out of yer mitts if you are :D

Daveycandlish

Oh I'll be getting me one of them!  :)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Greg M.

Thanks lads, much appreciated!  :D Re: conventions, David mentioned he hoped to do Cardiff and Bristol. I hope to cover some north of the border - Glasgow looks likely. Dunno if Hi-Ex is on next year?

Bolt-01

Greg, I've been looking forward to this reaching print for a while. Are either of you coming to Thought Bubble?

David Broughton

Hi Dave,

I don't think I'll be able to make it to thought bubble this year.  I would like to be there for next year though.
On a different note, I hope to send you some artwork tonight when I get home.

http://dbroughton.blogspot.co.uk/

Bolt-01

Megabus- today is getting better already. Comics via download, the printer has let me know that my new crop will be ready today and more new artwork. Sweet.

Greg M.

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 October, 2013, 10:23:23 PM
Greg, I've been looking forward to this reaching print for a while. Are either of you coming to Thought Bubble?

Afraid I can't make it to Thought Bubble either - it's a bit too far from home for me to wander during term-time - but it's very cool to know you've been looking forward to the comic. Thanks!

SKD

Looks great. I'm hoping to make it to Cardif next time round so i'll definitley pick up a copy.

All the best with this strip.

Stew.

Hawkmumbler

Looks aces. I'll be picking that up hopefully.

judda fett

Looks good, chalk up another sale here.

David Broughton

Thanks for your support Owen, Mr. Candlish, Bolt, Stew, Hawkmonger and Judda, by the way I loved your Steam Punk Shakara on ECTB MR. Fett...Awsome! Here is a link to it for those interested http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/steampunk-shakara/

Greg really kept me busy with his amazing script work which had so many references to Spanish landmarks I thought I was training to be an architect. However as I drew Martillo there were genuine moments that made me laugh and also wonder where he was going to take Martillo next.

I hope you enjoy reading Martillo as much as I enjoyed working on it. :D

Daveycandlish

Just finished reading my copy and can I just say; splendid stuff!
Great witty scripts from Greg and top notch art from Megabus.

Honestly, if you haven't got a copy you are missing a treat - Go buy one NOW!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

DrJomster

Looks good! Any thoughts of a digital comicsy release too? :)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Greg M.

Cheers for the interest so far folks - we definitely appreciate it! And thanks for the kind words and support, Davey, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. As for a digital release, I think the current plan is to do so once the physical copies are all gone.

Here's a couple of preview pages for you from one of the early stories in the volume, in which we introduce Martillo's occasional allies, Detectives Gallo and Moles. (Bonus points for recognising who Gallo's appearance is loosely based on!)