Main Menu

Wiki Beta, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the community

Started by VinceBot, 19 January, 2010, 04:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

thou shalt not touch the canon fodder for that is my realm....

VinceBot

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 21 January, 2010, 12:19:07 PM
Yay! Sl�ines all done - someone was working up the list while I was working down!

What do I win?

I worked on the last 15 or so ;) You did 99% of the work.

And you win... a mention on the todo page's completed tasks list.

Mike Carroll

Woohoo!

However, I don't think we're quite out of the haunted woods yet: searching for "Slaine" doesn't return entries where it's spelled "Sláine".

Likewise, some of the story titles are spelled "Slaine" (e.g., "Slaine: The Horned God"). So should those titles also be changed to "Sláine"?

-- Mike

VinceBot

Depends what mood you're in. Story titles don't matter so much and might be more trouble than they're worth.

Slaine and Sláine are technically different, so the search results are correct (they shouldn't be ignorant of unicode). It's a bit of a bugger if you don't know, I guess, but I don't think there's any way to fix it.

VinceBot

Hey Mike, I noticed you deleted the content out of the "Back to the F##uhrer" page with the correupted name, then created it anew in "Back to the Fuhrer".

In future, instead of blanking the source page you can just click the "move" tab and change the name to what it should be, then change the data in the page to match. this will keep the modification history.

I'll sort out a template people can include which can be used to mark pages for deletion.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: VinceBot on 19 January, 2010, 04:49:53 PM
Speaking of character appearances, feel free to name or create articles for not only main characters but bit-part characters and villains and things. The Wiki, unlike the Vault, has room for everyone.
[/center]

Just wondering what category to put all that stuff into and whether we should copy (slightly or not) from Wikipedia.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Emperor

Quote from: VinceBot on 21 January, 2010, 12:34:20 PMSlaine and Sláine are technically different, so the search results are correct (they shouldn't be ignorant of unicode). It's a bit of a bugger if you don't know, I guess, but I don't think there's any way to fix it.

Redirects. They are awfully handy for picking up such variations in spelling and where there are accents, like this case. A button for them should be available in an extended version of the editing tool bar you get across the top of the page.

I added some now, so searching for "Slaine" will get you to the disambiguation page, searching for "slaine series" will take you to the series and [[Slaine (series)|Slaine]] will create a link to the series article.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Emperor

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 21 January, 2010, 03:02:37 PMJust wondering what category to put all that stuff into and whether we should copy (slightly or not) from Wikipedia.

They are created automatically from the character box - fill in the series field. I assume you can add others (as Devlin Waugh is a character in Judge Dredd and his own series).

See, for example:
http://wiki.2000adonline.com/index.php/Judge_Dredd_(character)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Quote from: Emperor on 21 January, 2010, 03:15:33 PMI assume you can add others (as Devlin Waugh is a character in Judge Dredd and his own series).

OK see for example:
http://wiki.2000adonline.com/index.php/Devlin_Waugh_(character)

VinceBot

The template isn't set up to loop through the Series field, thus characters can't yet belong to multiple series. Do you want the ability to do that?

Emperor

Quote from: VinceBot on 21 January, 2010, 03:20:23 PM
The template isn't set up to loop through the Series field, thus characters can't yet belong to multiple series. Do you want the ability to do that?

Yes please (although they can just be added by hand). See:

http://wiki.2000adonline.com/index.php/Rogue_Trooper_(Friday)_(character)
http://wiki.2000adonline.com/index.php/Venus_Bluegenes_(character)

Friday has appeared in Judge Dredd and Venus Bluegenes has appeared in Friday

Mike Carroll

Quote from: VinceBot on 21 January, 2010, 02:13:16 PM
Hey Mike, I noticed you deleted the content out of the "Back to the F##uhrer" page with the correupted name, then created it anew in "Back to the Fuhrer".

In future, instead of blanking the source page you can just click the "move" tab and change the name to what it should be, then change the data in the page to match. this will keep the modification history.

I'll sort out a template people can include which can be used to mark pages for deletion.

Oops... Sorry, Vince. I never even noticed the Move tab!

In future I shall be more careful!

-- Mike

VinceBot

.. wait. It's all well and good adding these guys to categories, but we should probably simplify/automate and organise.. whatever it is we're trying to do here.

The Stories have a field for Character which is expandable, the idea being that you can list each character which has appeared in that story.

The Characters have a field to represent what series the character belongs to, not what they've featured in.

Surely the stories field is the one you want to fill out in this instance? I'm not sure we can successfully tie the Character noted in the Story to a Series, though.

Otherwise you'll have to add each series reference to the character template for each little appearance they make, and you'll have no record of WHERE they made the appearance. If we went that route then we should probably introduce a new field, like "appeared in", where you can list series.

VinceBot