Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 11 March, 2017, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: JLC on 11 March, 2017, 10:35:45 AM
So this is going to be another prequel series. Why FFS?

Apparently, it's set about 10 years before Kirk and the Enterprise crew went boldly. As for why- greed to make more money! Some of the stories I think will concern a conflict between the Crew and the Captain played by Jeremy Isaacs who although portrayed as charismatic might turn out to be either a coward or an overzealous pro-humanist. [i:e racist] Liberal attitudes will of course eventually triumph since Star Trek tends to be seen as a standard bearer for social equality and the P.O.V character is a black Female [Number One].That sets the stage for confrontation on board the Discovery reflecting Hollywoods concerns about what's happening in America right now.

There's also an alien species called the 'Trumps' which is a definite nod to current political affairs.

Rumour is that they are a semiliterate, warmongering race. 
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Magnetica

Don't follow the point about "it's to make money".

Yes that is a reason for doing at all, but I don't see the link as to what time period to set it in.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 March, 2017, 11:40:19 AM

Yes that is a reason for doing at all, but I don't see the link as to what time period to set it in.

'You talk like a Liberal, but at heart, you're an Amercian.' -The Best Man. Science Fiction isn't about the future it's about the now and so Star Trek, a show well known for its progressive ideals about humanity might favour a near future setting. 'This is us' it claims, ourselves sharing in a technologically advanced future but our old prejudices, class and racial hatreds still exist. We haven't quite progressed enough and only well-intentioned ideals of equality, gender etc can make us a better species. Nice bullshit, of course, human beings are killer apes, territorial in inclination, red in tooth and claw in our dealings with one and other. That ugly truth is forever IMHO but Hollywood sells Californication and hope is a big part of that. Hope as the ancient Greeks would tell you is danger's comforter and not to be trusted. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mardroid

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 March, 2017, 10:10:25 AM
Yes good points but I don't see why you would make a series that could only last 2 seasons. For example DS9 was only getting good at that point and the later series were by far the best.

When the news first came out that new Star Trek series were in production, I got the impression there would actually be a few programmes each set in different time periods of finite length. (My impression was actually one series each, although two might develop things better.) So when we got the news of Discovery, I figured this was the first of these and that there will be other Star Trek shows following different characters in other times and places. So maybe one or two series of Discovery, in prequel territory, a couple of others between Original series and Next Gen*, another after Voyager, etc.

So definitely more than two series in total, but only 1 or 2 of each timer period/story, if that makes sense.

It's very possible they changed their minds in the meantime though, or I misunderstood.

*This is me just giving an example off the top of my head, not based on any news I've heard.

Magnetica

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 11 March, 2017, 01:52:43 PM

'You talk like a Liberal, but at heart, you're an Amercian.' -The Best Man. Science Fiction isn't about the future it's about the now and so Star Trek, a show well known for its progressive ideals about humanity might favour a near future setting. 'This is us' it claims, ourselves sharing in a technologically advanced future but our old prejudices, class and racial hatreds still exist. We haven't quite progressed enough and only well-intentioned ideals of equality, gender etc can make us a better species. Nice bullshit, of course, human beings are killer apes, territorial in inclination, red in tooth and claw in our dealings with one and other. That ugly truth is forever IMHO but Hollywood sells Californication and hope is a big part of that. Hope as the ancient Greeks would tell you is danger's comforter and not to be trusted.

Sorry not sure I follow why it makes a difference when they set it. You can still do satires of current events.

And yes I know "space may be the final frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement".

sheridan

Nice bullshit, of course, human beings are killer apes, territorial in inclination, red in tooth and claw in our dealings with one and other.

Nah, it's all about the teamwork.

Professor Bear

Discovery's money isn't going to come from advertisers (as with network shows) because it's going to be shown via the network's on-demand streaming service in North America.  The revenue will be coming from sponsors and distributors who have made it clear that TOS stuff is where they make most of their money, hence their wanting a show that ties into that era.
TLDR version: TOS is the most profitable version of Trek.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: sheridan on 11 March, 2017, 03:23:45 PM
Nice bullshit, of course, human beings are killer apes, territorial in inclination, red in tooth and claw in our dealings with one and other.

Nah, it's all about the teamwork.

With that twat in Chief in the White House? No way! The alleged goodness of human kind is always far too thin. 

― Nikola Tesla

JLC

Speak for yourself!

Tony Angelino

I am in no way a Star Trek fan and usually find it boring with not enough punch-ups and car chases. I also hadn't heard the rumour that they might set different series in different time periods. However they should forget about setting series before the Original Series as they are limited in what characters can do and who they can meet. Commence setting them further in to the future again. I might watch it then. 

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 March, 2017, 05:29:48 AM
Heh! But then 'tonight's' episode, the very next one aired, is Brad Dourif's debut as Crewman/Ensign Suder in 'Meld', which is about as good as Star Trek gets. So there is always hope.

So I watched MELD as a result of this post.

You''re not wrong. It's great. Why on earth did they decide what Voyager needed was a babe in a skin tight  lycra suit as opposed to more quality writing and acting?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 March, 2017, 12:11:57 AM
Why on earth did they decide what Voyager needed was a babe in a skin tight  lycra suit as opposed to more quality writing and acting?

A 'Babe' in various tight lycra costumes cost less than either of those.

― Nikola Tesla

Professor Bear

Voyager was one of the cornerstone shows on parent network CBS, which was still new at the time and promoted Voyager heavily as part of their line up.  This meant that even though the producers' impulse was to make a show for existing Trek fans that was more of the same, they were almost certainly guaranteed a yearly renewal until their crew's contracts expired if they threw casual watchers a bone now and then with hot ladies, punch-ups, and the odd episode that cashed in on popular culture trends.  DS9 launched a few years too early to be a tentpole show like Voyager was, but it still wasn't immune to this kind of thing, hence Major Kira dressing in high heels and catsuits for a while, though the nickname "Pussy Bajor" sadly never caught on.

That's the reason for the boobs, the lack of better writing is ascribed by ex-crew like Bryan Fuller to the producers just being risk-averse.

Trout

I watched Star Trek Beyond for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. It was, in equal parts, absolute twaddle and great fun, which sums up 50 years of Star Trek for me.  :D

Getting to the point, I'm going to reserve judgment on Discovery until I see it. Much of the discussion here's seems unfairly negative, considering the show isn't even finished yet.

- Trout

Professor Bear

Quote from: Trout on 18 March, 2017, 09:25:54 PMMuch of the discussion here's seems unfairly negative, considering the show isn't even finished yet.

There's a joke in there somewhere about this being your first day in sci-fi fandom, but mainly I am preserving that wandering apostrophe for posterity.  A lot of naysayers will also be watching this religiously, even if they slag it off something rotten before and during its run.
You will note that I do not say I won't be doing that myself.