Main Menu

Your best ways to positivity "trick yourself"?

Started by Apestrife, 07 July, 2019, 03:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 July, 2019, 09:00:15 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 July, 2019, 04:09:32 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 07 July, 2019, 10:18:11 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 July, 2019, 09:56:04 PM
(Another one, courtesy of Paul McKenna, is to remember you ate one of the richest people who ever lived.  That's not even a lie.)
I also try to trick myself into thinking I'm Lemmy sometimes!

Oops!

I spent ages googling that, trying to work out what you were on about!  :lol:

Not sure if that was for me or Cosh, but if it was me, I should probably explain myself - fecking autocorrect. You ARE one of the richest people who ever lived.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

I find doing something nice for someone else takes me out of my own mindset for a bit. You know, making a colleague a cuppa, buying flowers for the missus, a nice present for someone, helping a mate with a random task, or even just being really considerate when out and about - holding doors open for folk in shops, giving up a bus seat for someone - whatever.

It works. It doesn't matter if your help or consideration is even noticed or appreciated - it just keeps anxiety, bad temper, and melancholy at bay.

Just my experience anyway.

Apestrife

Reasons, reasons = Day didn't start out the way I'd prefer, and things kept going in that direction... --So I took a walk. I walked till I wasn't irritated any longer, and then I mused because I felt a little irritated that I wasn't irritated any longer  :D

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 July, 2019, 11:47:25 PM
I find doing something nice for someone else takes me out of my own mindset for a bit. You know, making a colleague a cuppa, buying flowers for the missus, a nice present for someone, helping a mate with a random task, or even just being really considerate when out and about - holding doors open for folk in shops, giving up a bus seat for someone - whatever.

It works. It doesn't matter if your help or consideration is even noticed or appreciated - it just keeps anxiety, bad temper, and melancholy at bay.

Just my experience anyway.

I second that. Alot of things takes basically nothing. With some luck someone also starts holding up doors and so on.

Tjm86

I wonder at times if I'm just being stupid when I give way to someone whilst driving that really seems to need it.  Does that small act of consideration, letting someone out when there is a long string of traffic for instance, actually make a difference?  I just feel at times like a little bit of give might actually make someone's day a little better and that will knock on down the line.  Kind of like the 'butterfly effect' of road etiquette.

pauljholden

Quote from: Apestrife on 07 July, 2019, 03:16:03 PM
I don't know if I'm alone in thinking this, but sometimes I have to "trick myself" a little in order to get a bit of positivity.

For example, when my grandfather takes a walk through a forest which now has a highway close to it, with lots of cars hissing by, he likes to think it's the sound of a nearby creek where water is flowing. Instead of getting annoyed over the fact that he's listening to a bunch of cars.

As for myself my most used "trick" recently has been telling myself "He/she/they won." when I see something online which annoys me. For example when I see someone on twitter who is very wrong. Then I tell myself "This person won." and doing that I don't get angry one bit any longer. Essentially " winning nothing", since I'm not even bothered by what probably is the deed of some attention seeker.

How about you? Any tricks?

If I see anything remotely click baity "You won't believe what 15 people are saying about this thing" I just go "nope". I'm still suckered into them every so often "OMG What do the actors from my favourite show look like now???" is one that nearly always gets me.

I also wave away anyone who comes over to sign me up to something as fast as I can - "no time, no thanks, signed up already" etc.
(Not exactly what you're asking for, but close)

And finally, I'll set a pomodoro timer and start drawing to the 25 minute timer even if the drawing isn't going the way I want. After 25 minutes, or a second one it usually rights itself.

The Legendary Shark

Not really a trick, but when I feel myself getting upset, angry, depressed or whatever, I take a moment to look at my emotions and decide to not let them rule me. They're like dogs and I find I can train them, as it were, to do as they're told. It works for me about 80% of the time and, for the remaining 20%, the impact is much reduced.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]