Main Menu

Star Scans etc. on the back page

Started by norton canes, 23 February, 2017, 12:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

As I've mentioned in a couple of posts recently, I've only just started back on the progs after a 27-year gap (shameful, I know). My modern 2000 AD collection now consists of a grand total of 9 progs, and I've noticed that with the exception of the last Christmas prog, which has a list of featured strips, it's adverts all the way on the back pages.

How long has it been like that? I miss the Star Scans. I understand that the ad revenue is probably vital though.

Fungus

Different times, and different reader demographics I suppose. Would you blu-tac Gene the Hackman to your bedroom wall if a Scan appeared? (don't answer that  :) )

Also, it's basically house ads these days - Rebellion, Hachette. Which I quite like. If pages aren't devoted to Weetabix and the rest, so much the better.

Dash Decent

Oh man, I really miss those weet(a)bix skinheads.

All this time forgetting and you come along and rake it all up again.  Sob!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

freq

Oh my god, the society of the spectacle has commodified 2000ads back page.Bollocks to demographics id rather see the star scans back.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Dash Decent on 24 February, 2017, 11:20:12 AM

Are you (doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo...) O.K.?

Link Prime

Quote from: norton canes on 23 February, 2017, 12:56:20 PM
How long has it been like that? I miss the Star Scans. I understand that the ad revenue is probably vital though.

Weren't 'Star Scans' just unused covers?

sheridan

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 February, 2017, 01:05:49 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 23 February, 2017, 12:56:20 PM

Weren't 'Star Scans' just unused covers?

Sounds plausible...

I miss the calendars (not that they were that regular, think there were only two or three).

Trout

Yeah, they were obvious (although awesome) filler for spaces that needed filled.

Magnetica

I really like having the ads for the Mega Collection. As a non subscriber who is cherry picking them (and of the recent issues I am being really fussy - as in I haven't bought a new one for months now) they are really useful notifications to get to the shops.

What I am really waiting for is Tour of Duty.

Dash Decent

Quote from: freq on 24 February, 2017, 11:31:11 AM
the society of the spectacle has commodified 2000ads back page.

Under the stones the beach!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

freq

Oh my gosh,I totally remember the weetabix skinheads! Dunk and Brian etc,one of the most bizarre ad campaigns ever.For the unitiated they were actual weetabix skinheads with docs jeans braces and white t-shirts.

Mardroid

If you know what's good for you
You do?
Okay!
It's Weetabix!

I remember them well, although I didn't realise they were meant to be skinheads. In hindsight though....🤣

Dash Decent

Ben Elton even mentioned them in one of his routines back in the day.

"Of course, who hasn't ever looked in their bowl and thought, 'Stuff me, a bowl full of skinheads!'"

(In case his sarcasm doesn't travel well in print, he was pointing out the complete dissimilarity of one to the other.)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Colin YNWA

Quote from: freq on 25 February, 2017, 11:03:13 PM

Oh my gosh,I totally remember the weetabix skinheads! Dunk and Brian etc,one of the most bizarre ad campaigns ever.For the unitiated they were actual weetabix skinheads with docs jeans braces and white t-shirts.

On a tangental note this type of thing is exactly why I much prefer reading original Progs (however much of a ball ache that can be) rather than trade collections. All the peripheral stuff adds so much to the experience, from Star Scans, features, games and puzzles to the adverts that add a wonderful context of time, place and audience to the experience.

At the moment my re-read has me immersed in a period of just these Weetabix adverts, alongside Ron Smith Green Cross Code double pages while telling me the wonders that can be achieved on a ZX81. In the none too distant future the prog will be selling me bank accounts while delighting in the trance music scene.

Love all that.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 February, 2017, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: freq on 25 February, 2017, 11:03:13 PM

On a tangental note this type of thing is exactly why I much prefer reading original Progs (however much of a ball ache that can be) rather than trade collections. All the peripheral stuff adds so much to the experience, from Star Scans, features, games and puzzles to the adverts that add a wonderful context of time, place and audience to the experience.

At the moment my re-read has me immersed in a period of just these Weetabix adverts, alongside Ron Smith Green Cross Code double pages while telling me the wonders that can be achieved on a ZX81. In the none too distant future the prog will be selling me bank accounts while delighting in the trance music scene.

Love all that.

I'm currently on the 2000AD Annual 1978 - no ads in that, but there are features (about to go to the shops, but I have an article on the Russian / US space race, as was in 1977 to look forward to when I get back).