Main Menu

Dredd Film Cast list...

Started by Goaty, 12 January, 2011, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

Goaty

Quote from: CraveNoir on 31 January, 2011, 07:41:01 PM
Variety confirms Domhnall Gleeson's in Dredd.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118030764

He well interesting, son of always great Benadan Gleeson.

Michaelvk

Ooh him! He's bloody tall, by the way..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

QuoteVariety confirms Domhnall Gleeson's in Dredd.

That's interesting, wonder who he's playing..?

Perhaps the [spoiler]paramedic who briefly tags along with Dredd and Anderson?[/spoiler]

Steve Green

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 January, 2011, 09:47:41 PM
AAAH!

well, they are the Weasleys... so the orange hair is vaguely forgivable ;)

JOE SOAP

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 31 January, 2011, 10:15:09 PM
well, they are the Weasleys... so the orange hair is vaguely forgivable ;)

I'm not being funny -- there are whole films that look like this now; does anyone honestly look at a shot like that and think the colour scheme is in any way naturalistic? What's the point being a costume designer or a lighting director any more when some fucknut in the digital grading department is just going to push the whole thing into this one limited colour register?

Gaah!

Jim

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 January, 2011, 10:18:43 PM

I'm not being funny -- there are whole films that look like this now; does anyone honestly look at a shot like that and think the colour scheme is in any way naturalistic? What's the point being a costume designer or a lighting director any more when some fucknut in the digital grading department is just going to push the whole thing into this one limited colour register?

Gaah!

To be honest, while teal and orange is far too prevalent these days and lazy, many directors shoot flat lighting on HD to expose as much detail in the shot as possible so they can push things more (either way) in the grade. In other words they shoot for the grade. T'wouldn't be the grader's fault generally since it's the director, sometimes the editor too, who oversee the end prduct. Not every film-maker goes for the "natural" look either; "natural" is a style rather than a prescription.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 31 January, 2011, 10:26:41 PMNot every film-maker goes for the "natural" look either; "natural" is a style rather than a prescription.

No, I agree. I'm not arguing that everything should look naturalistic, but this damn colour scheme is everywhere. I can barely get through a trailer without seeing it. Seriously -- go pick three at random from here and I'm prepared to bet money that at least one, and more likely two, will have a noticeable number of shots in orange and teal. It's so overused, it's flattening out entire movies -- they might as well be shot in B&W as far as I'm concerned.

Bah!

Jim

Edit to add: I'm derailing this thread now. I'll shut up, with apologies.

JOE SOAP

It's a bit like every second drama in the 80's was shot with a blue filter or everthing being green or saturated in the 90's. It starts with a notable film then spreads everywhere until it's a default TV grade. I've yet to see someone recreate the 70's film-stock look -my favourite- properly though; it produced a lovely glow around bulbs and lights.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Goaty on 31 January, 2011, 08:31:59 PM
Quote from: CraveNoir on 31 January, 2011, 07:41:01 PM
Variety confirms Domhnall Gleeson's in Dredd.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118030764

He well interesting, son of always great Benadan Gleeson.

What movie is that still from Goaty? I ask because I was watching the brilliant In Bruges the other night (again) and the girl in that shot looks like the lovely lovely lady from that, who I don't think I've seen in anything else.

strontium71

Got to be a Harry Potter film as I'm sure that's Hagrid at the back.
I've only seen one Potter film so I may be wrong.
...because I hate you.

TordelBack

That'd be the woefully underused Clemence Posey, indeed in In Bruges, here playing Fleur Delacour, bride at the Weasley wedding in HP and the Deathly Hallows.  She's quite smashing.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 January, 2011, 10:39:22 PM
No, I agree. I'm not arguing that everything should look naturalistic, but this damn colour scheme is everywhere.

I caught a bit of Tears of the Sun the other night - dear lord, everybody's face was a strange orangey-green colour throughout, and I confess my first thought was of Jim's torment.  Not an extreme example by any means, but is this the first Treen/Human hybrid?

Pretty pitiful film too.