Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: "The Enigmatic Dr X"Any Neal Stephenson fans got an idea of what Enoch Root is all about? Who/what is he?

knowing Stephensons penchant for Mathematical and IT jokes I wonder if it has something to do with the Eroot class used to handle persistant objects between uses of applications.  Considering the manner in which the character seems to turn up and interact within the books this seems plausible.  Of course there could be something in the Wikepedia comments!

BTW anyone else tried Grimwood's Arabesque?

Trilobite2

Quote from: "Tjm86"BTW anyone else tried Grimwood's Arabesque?

I read them a little while back. I thought they were good but a bit hard to follow in places. Much preferred 9 tail fox but that might be my brain lacking athleticism.

Dounreay

Sign me up for the Neal Stephenson fan club too. Currently in the last 100 pages of Cryptonomicon, the first time I've read any of his work. I'm not entirely sure if it is sci-fi ( I'm not entirely sure what it is to be honest) but it is absolutely compulsive reading.  The kind of book you read way into the wee small hours, when you should be tucked up in bed.

After that, it's two collected works of Howard Waldrop- one of short stories, one of novellas. Some I've read before and love, like "The Ugly Chickens" and  "A Dozen Tough Jobs", others are new to me. Mmmmm...luvverly.

Comics, just read the first few pages of Marvels "Secret War". Bought it because the art caught my eye but no idea if it will be a decent read of not.

Did notice that Nick Fury doesn't seem to have stogie permanently screwed into his face anymore, when did he give up smoking?  Come to that does anybody smoke in US comics anymore?

TordelBack

Just to lower the intellectual tone of this thread completely (oh wait, it's okay, Dounreay is already talking about Marvel), I picked up a fantasy novel breezeblock last week in the library (they let me have 10 books at a time!  10!  I'm not made of stone!) -  Kate Elliott's King's Dragon.  After a shakily familiar start, I've been pleasantly surprised (about halfway through now).  Then today I noticed that it's Book 1 of 7.  Anyone read any more of this, and should I bail out now, or does it deliver on its early promise?  I'm not adverse to very long series (loved Tad William's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn and Otherworld monsters, for example), but I don't really want to start if its going to peter off into nothing after I've wasted countless hours... (You can see that I was a fun guy to go out with).

Roger Godpleton

Before I begin, I must explain that MK Library has a superb GN section, with a wide and varied selection of every type of comic, both old and very new. Whoever orders the books clearly knows what they are doing and has excellent taste. I will always have some gratitude for them for introducing me, no matter how impersonally for introducing me to Love & Rockets, the first comic which ever truly had an effect on me, and one which allowed me to really appreciate the medium. This year alone, I've discovered Jason, Guy Delisle and David Heatley.

I also appreciate the fact that they organized a display of GNs at thhe front. It does have a faintly irritating "It's not all "capes and superpowers"" sign, but it is a commendable and proactive means of promotion.

That said, do you know what they had on this display today? Fucking Nemi, that's what.

Still working my way through Margaret Atwood's ouvere.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Paul faplad Finch

In the post that started this thread I expressed some trpidation about reading Preacher:Alamo. I was worried it might not live up to the epic build up. Just finished it and I've got to say I thought it was superb. The heroes prevail and the bad guys . . . well . . . don't. What more can you ask for from what is essentially an epic western. Also, Glenn Fabrys themed covers for that last arc were a sight to behold. The Tulip one was haunting. I actually had a dream about her. we'll leave that there. Anyway, it's Swamp Thing next, A Murder Of Crows. Should be good. Still haven't finished any of the others I've been trawling through cos good (Felix Castor) or bad (Blackguards) my time's spent mainly reading 70's comics on the Battle and Action sites. Finished Hookjaw today. [spoiler:314xsdgx]Rick getting his head bitten off.[/spoiler:314xsdgx] Didn't see that one coming. Good stuff.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Dounreay

Okay, I admit it, reading the occasional Marvel GN is my dirty little lemonade drinking secret.

My relationship with Marvel is like my relationship with kebabs. I know I shouldn't but every now and again you just gotta have one.

crazykdg

any of you guys got any 2000ad graphic novels that youd reccomend to read
(i know it doesnt actually relate to the subject but im bored and have no books to read)

Kerrin

Quote from: "crazykdg"any of you guys got any 2000ad graphic novels that youd reccomend to read
Does the Pope shit in the woods?

Depending upon what you've read in the prog and meg already. I can heartily recommend all of them, but in particular.

D.R and Quinch.
Leviathan.
All of the Dredd complete case files, in fact that's a legal requirement, IT'S THE LAW!
Ditto Strontium Dog.
Nemesis.
Kingdom.
The V.Cs.
Halo Jones.
Slaine. All of 'em.

Just read them all basically, you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Dounreay"Comics, just read the first few pages of Marvels "Secret War". Bought it because the art caught my eye but no idea if it will be a decent read of not.

Did notice that Nick Fury doesn't seem to have stogie permanently screwed into his face anymore, when did he give up smoking?  Come to that does anybody smoke in US comics anymore?

I know Marvel has banned any of it's characters and edict from Joe Q. So no stogie for The Thing, Wolverine or Fury these days. Not sure about DC but it wouldn't surprise me.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Godpleton"I also appreciate the fact that they organized a display of GNs at thhe front. It does have a faintly irritating "It's not all "capes and superpowers"" sign, but it is a commendable and proactive means of promotion.

That said, do you know what they had on this display today? Fucking Nemi, that's what.
I quite like Nemi. I mean, I wouldn't read a collection but it's better than that other rubbish you get in the Metro.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

Quoteit's better than that other rubbish you get in the Metro.

Is it still "This Life"? That's just about the only comic strip which allows me to say "I could do better than that" and not feel like a complete douchebag.

Today I reread For the Man who has Everything. Previously I'd felt that it was just a "normal" Alan Moore comic. Miles better than 95% of other superhero comics of course, but not in the same league as the Watchmen's and the V's. A Skizz rather than a Halo Jones.

However, I've had to reconsider this. Despite what Byrne and his ilk might protest, it's a true Superman story, and really a brilliant Batman story and a great Wonder Woman story as well. The authors refuse to hold back about any aspect of his power and his capacity for heroism, even going so far as to completely ignore "Clark Kent", in the process effortlessly reminding us just how easy it could be for lesser writers to hide behind secret identities. Superman could be just another conqueror of worlds, another lunatic, and for the briefest moment he is when he knocks Robin over with his voice. But ultimately he isn't, he's always going to stop, because he has to. What's really shocking is that I actually felt disappointed at the end that we didn't get to see or hear WW's desires as well.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

Nemi is well designed. That's all. It has nothing worthwhile to say. I wish it were better. It ought to be. As it is, it shouldn't be anywhere near a library.
STRIKE !!!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Godpleton"Today I reread For the Man who has Everything

It's just superb, isn't it? As you say, the JBF fraternity who want to paint Moore as somehow opposed to the concept of heroism seem able to blithely ignore the utterly heart-rending moment when Kal-El tells his son "I ... I don't think you're real." Add to that note-perfect characterizations of Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman and you have a comic that deserves its place of honour in DC's publishing history.

As an aside, the JM DeMatteis' adaptation of this story for the Justice League cartoon series probably qualifies as the only successful Alan Moore adaptation to another medium, ever. Notwithstanding my own, as yet unpublished, Sinister Ducks magnum opus, of course.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Akk, we're discussing Nemi and For The Man Who Has Everything at the same time?  It's bad enough that they share a medium, in the same way that the Crazy Frog and Mozart's Serenade No. 13 in G Major do.

On the equally painful subject of JB, I recently read a pretty good comic written and drawn by him - Star Trek: Crew, which appears to be a sort of tribute to the late Majel Barrett, following her Number One character from The Cage.  As noted it was pretty good stuff (if you like that sort of thing), and I couldn't shake the feeling that it was an older piece being reprinted, but the inidicia showed 2009 - I didn't think he did this kind of work any more.  Anyone know any more?