Main Menu

Prog 2155 - Dark Angels!

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 October, 2019, 08:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well its really as you were again. I'd be expecting a very quiet Prog review thread this week, as is often the case in times of plenty, were it not for the masterclass in Dredd continuing to weave plot threads, ideas and family questions into the mix. Its just an absolute delight and one I feel when finished, however that might happen - doesn't the Next Prog suggest somethings! - this read back will give so much more. That's on the basis of it giving so, so much already!

Defoe bleeds across pages and it hurts my eyes. Stuart Moore is clearly an incredible talent but he could learn a lesson or teo from Brink that so often less is more. Its not just INJ Culbards' great strenght in this strip, focusing the read on all that is important in each panel just so expertly while somehow keeping the whole thing looking so lively and alive. Its what Dabnett is doing with the story. So little happens, yet so much occurs.

Hope is brilliant and The Fall of Deadworld is comics turned to 11.

Oh and even though we knew it was coming just seeing the Thrills of the future makes me smile. It makes me remember with all the Prog has at the moment, there is so much more and that the House of Tharg is just a wonderful place to hang out in.

Richard

Guatemala just keeps getting better and better. I love this story, especially the mental robot soldier and his little sidekick.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 26 October, 2019, 08:38:44 PM
Guatemala just keeps getting better and better. I love this story, especially the mental robot soldier and his little sidekick.

... little sidekick ...   (scribbles dictation in notebook)

moly

Prog on top form with the exception of Defoe, the new Defoe story I'd enjoy if the artwork wasn't so hard to follow

Proudhuff

Dredd is the top of the league here, in what is a very talky Prog, but thats no bad thing, there might be a fair bit going on in a couple of strips while they talk, however I'm struggling a bit to make out the action...
Top progagge otherwise.
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

A good prog.  Another high five for me.

Dredd is in top form (Wagner does know how to do a Dredd tale – it is time we clone him). 

Just for interest sake is that in Defoe Mills' twice used the same word Meneer. It can be translated to Sir or Mister but in the context of the conversation I would use Sir.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 26 October, 2019, 08:32:35 PM
[https://i.imgur.com/unCSKLv.jpg   Cover Stewart Kenneth Moore

That is a cover. Perhaps the coveriest cover of the year, so far.

A very trad 2000ad cover, to boot - action, explosions, aliens that are also, somehow, robots. That typeface is a sair yin*, but maybe Tharg's droids operate the same policy as Persian textile weavers, who always introduce one deliberate imperfection as a sign of humility, since only The Creator** is perfect.

The art in Defoe itself sees Moore hit his stride in terms of his depiction of the title character. In previous episodes, Moore's Titus was often a generic gimlet-eyed, Bruce Willis-domed space marine, but this and the previous episode see Moore invest baldy with real personality, both in terms of his features and his body language.

The posture and anatomy there remind me of classic McMahon and the exuberant but finely detailed rendering style reminds me of Flint's ABC Warriors, when he was trying to channel Bisley & McMahon at the same time. Not sure I can pay higher compliment than that, or that there's any higher compliment.

Following the Archons' stentorian natter in Brutannia Chronicles, Málaga Mills has developed a fondness for disembodied, booming dialogue emanating from the general direction of massive pseudo-deities. Thankfully, the choice of typeface here is more pleasing than in Sláine or on the cover of this week's comic.

* ... and any cover would be improved by employing John Higgins's Opal Fruits-based palette of the late eighties

** Pat Mills

Dandontdare

Thoroughly enjoying things at the moment. Dredd is on top form, Fall of Deadworld continues to compete with Brink as one of the best things to appear in the prog in recent years, and Hope is interesting me a lot more than the initial run did.

Only Defoe isn't really floating my boat. I have never really got on with this strip but hard to put my finger on why, I think it's just Pat's current style. The new art style is a also little busy and confusing for my taste, and I could really do without all those BLAESTs everywhere.

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 30 October, 2019, 02:03:54 PM

The art in Defoe itself sees Moore hit his stride in terms of his depiction of the title character.

The posture and anatomy there remind me of classic McMahon and the exuberant but finely detailed rendering style reminds me of Flint's ABC Warriors, when he was trying to channel Bisley & McMahon at the same time. Not sure I can pay higher compliment than that, or that there's any higher compliment.

Interesting what other Squaxx see.
Personally I've yet to peruse a page of Moore's excellent artwork without being reminded of Melinda Gebbie's style.

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 October, 2019, 03:57:52 PM
Quote from: Frank on 30 October, 2019, 03:57:52 PM

Interesting what other Squaxx see. Personally I've yet to peruse a page of Moore's excellent artwork without being reminded of Melinda Gebbie's style.

I was talking about that panel in particular, rather than in general. I compared Moore to Culbard and Trevallion last week, in terms of his general aesthetic.

I think the only Gebbie story I've read is Lost Girls, so it's impossible to tell if I can see a resemblance without Moore throwing in some engorged genitalia, to allow a direct comparison.

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 30 October, 2019, 04:10:29 PM
so it's impossible to tell if I can see a resemblance without Moore throwing in some engorged genitalia

Hang in there.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 October, 2019, 04:14:17 PM
so it's impossible to tell if I can see a resemblance without Moore throwing in some engorged genitalia

Hang in there.

It's in the post.

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 October, 2019, 04:15:40 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 30 October, 2019, 04:14:17 PM

Hang in there.

It's in the post.

The deviant mind mustn't be encouraged.

As an aside, anyone that has yet to read the excellent Tomorrow Stories series should be urged to track down the back issues.

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 October, 2019, 04:27:13 PM
... anyone that has yet to read the excellent Tomorrow Stories series should be urged to track down the back issues.

D'OH!

Gebbie drew The Cobweb for ABC, didn't she? I could remember some of her newspaper serial-style stories, but they were parodies and heavily trading on the mannerisms of the time.

Her Cobweb art is a little more decorative and employs less modelling than Moore's circuit board and Sephiroth spaceship designs and tentacles under bell jar alien-cum-robots, but I can see what you're getting at.

He'd be flattered by the comparison.