Main Menu

The Seven

Started by The Sherman Kid, 25 May, 2014, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Way back in  Prog 2016 (October 2000) Dredd asked the deputy Chief Medical Officer how many clones there were of himself in the works (so to speak) ,to which the reply came 'seven'.

We already had Rico (who is currently a long time absent from the pages from 2000ad -Please BRING HIM BACK  :thumbsup:); then a short while later came Dolman.

But what happened to the others?

Would like to see a resolution to this question,which could be very interesting given the original Dredd is becoming ever more aware of his own mortality.

My entry into the suggestion box.

Many thanks

The Sherman Kid

Correction Prog1216 .

radiator

Already been at least two more confirmed iirc - Nimrod in Total War and, unless I'm going mad, another was named in Tour of Duty.

TordelBack

You might be thinking of [spoiler]Cadet Paris[/spoiler], in 'The Forsaken'.

As both [spoiler]she[/spoiler] and Nimrod r[spoiler]epresent genetically altered experiments[/spoiler] rather than true clones, do they count?

Dark Jimbo

It's a bit meaningless, isn't it, given that this throwaway reference was 14 years ago? They could have triple the number of clones in service now, or alternatively lost them all.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 May, 2014, 10:46:42 PM
You might be thinking of [spoiler]Cadet Paris[/spoiler], in 'The Forsaken'.

As both [spoiler]she[/spoiler] and Nimrod r[spoiler]epresent genetically altered experiments[/spoiler] rather than true clones, do they count?

Unless I dreamt it, Dredd visited the cloning facility during either Tour of Duty or Day of Chaos and a new Cadet was mentioned. I think it was Tour... Because Dredd was investigating Sinfield's clone. Can't remember the name but it was an anagram of something. Or am I really going mad??!?!

radiator

Oric! It was Oric!!! I didn't imagine it. *phew*.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 May, 2014, 11:45:52 PM
It's a bit meaningless, isn't it, given that this throwaway reference was 14 years ago? They could have triple the number of clones in service now, or alternatively lost them all.

I don't think so, Dredd's ancestry/heritage has  been a core part of his character from the very beginning.  Dredd isn't getting any younger (how old is he now 70 or 75!) ,so in terms of legacy and what he sees as his replacement(s) this would be interesting to explore.

I didn't count Nimrod or Paris as they were altered.

Frank

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 26 May, 2014, 11:35:54 AM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 May, 2014, 11:45:52 PM

I don't think so, Dredd's ancestry/heritage has been a core part of his character from the very beginning.  Dredd isn't getting any younger (how old is he now 70 or 75!) ,so in terms of legacy and what he sees as his replacement(s) this would be interesting to explore

Jimbo's point wasn't that the bloodline saga isn't of interest, just that concentrating on identifying The Seven might be fruitless. Any Fargo clones hatched at the time that passing reference was made would be hitting the streets right now, and The Seven of fourteen years ago would have suffered the same rate of attrition as the rest of Justice Department during Chaos Day or just through a life working the streets.

I agree that it's always interesting to see more of the Fargo clones and explore different aspects of the odd family dynamic, but John Wagner doesn't seem to agree.

TordelBack

Oric, well remembered Radiator, I've completely forgotten that one.

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 26 May, 2014, 11:35:54 AM
I don't think so, Dredd's ancestry/heritage has  been a core part of his character from the very beginning. 

Has it?  We didn't find out who Dredd was a clone of until Prog 389.  While admittedly early in the scheme of things his clone nature itself isn't revealed until Prog 30, and not really addressed over the following 6 or 7 years.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie on 26 May, 2014, 06:02:00 PM
Jimbo's point wasn't that the bloodline saga isn't of interest, just that concentrating on identifying The Seven might be fruitless.

Aye - I loves me some Bloodline stories. Rico II and Vienna prompt fascinating questions and story oppurtunities, but the fact that seven clones were once mentioned fourteen years ago doesn't mean very much. I doubt we'll ever find out who they are, even if they are still alive. The number given could have been four, or twenty, or three hundred - Wagner could decide tomorrow that there's actually only two, and suddenly there will only be two.

Don't mean to be a killjoy - I'm guessing this is not in the intended spirit of your thread, Zen!
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 May, 2014, 07:45:00 PM
Don't mean to be a killjoy - I'm guessing this is not in the intended spirit of your thread, Zen!

Sherman, neebs. Why don't you just say something mean about his momma?

Dark Jimbo

Er... their avatars look alike?  :-\
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 May, 2014, 07:54:05 PM
Er... their avatars look alike?

They all look alike to you, don't they? UKIP scum. Just to derail the thread by talking about The Seven again, Mike Carroll seems like the writer who does most raking through old stories for ideas to spin out new stories from or drop references to as fan-bait - maybe he could include an inventory of Fargo clones on a screen in the background of a panel to sate Zen Sherman's lust for lists. Or, you know, write a story about them.

The Sherman Kid

Looking to maintain  my high batting average ,got my namesake back (albeit briefly) and the Ten seconders so come on Mike or (dare I say it....YES!) John, you know it makes sense  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :P :P :P

;)