Main Menu

FINAL - Dan Abnett or Pat Mills - For the Godpleton Cup

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 June, 2020, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 July, 2020, 09:46:24 AM
Nemesis is great

I agree. And for me, it wouldn't matter a jot if Pat had never written anything else good - his current form is irrelevant from my voting perspective. Book 1 of Nemesis alone is simply better than most other 2000AD stories.

Colin YNWA

Just done a count and WOW it is close.

Very close.

So if you haven't voted do so now you may well make a very significent difference!

broodblik

All I can say is that at the end of the day we are blessed with two great writers.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 July, 2020, 11:07:50 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 July, 2020, 09:46:24 AM
Nemesis is great

I agree. And for me, it wouldn't matter a jot if Pat had never written anything else good - his current form is irrelevant from my voting perspective. Book 1 of Nemesis alone is simply better than most other 2000AD stories.

Yes I can't quite decide what is the greatest (non- Dredd)  2000AD story of all time. But it's between Nemesis book 1, 3,4,5 and 6, the first series of ABC Warriors, Massimo Slaine, McMahon  Slaine and Fabry Slaine.

So it's all Pat and that's why I voted for him.

sintec

This is a really tough call. I've been sitting on the fence trying to make up my mind most of the week as both of them are incredible writers.

After much consideration I think I've got to give it to Abnett. Brink, Lawless and Kingdom are all superb and for me rivial the golden age runs of Nemesis, Slaine and ABCs. Which means it comes down to the next tier of thrills to break the tie and it's here I feel Abnett really has the edge. Pat's writing is just a lot more variable compared to the consistent thrillpower delivered by the Abnett droid.

IndigoPrime

On runs of thrills, something just occurred to me, which hadn't earlier. Sláine Sky Chariots/Horned God and Nemesis Book 1 would very easily be in my top 20 (possibly ten). But basically all of Brink, Lawless and Kingdom would be.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. Honestly, I'm glad it's close (I'd expected Mills to easily romp to victory). And if nothing else, this entire competition has shown how blessed 2000 AD has been throughout its run—and how the contemporary comic still retains a large number of quality writers.

broodblik

Talking about Nemesis I did not know that the character is now 40 years old.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Leigh S

Pat Mills

much as I love Brink, and am thankful for Abnett providing some diverting material when the comic needed to keep me hopeful, it isnt Nemesis, or Slaine, or ABC Warriors, or even (since a lot of this seems to swing on Pats more recent output for a lot of people) Defoe or savage. 

Dandontdare

Pat Abnett ... no, Dan Mills.

This is so hard, if we included editorial and overall contribution, Pat would walk it, but we're only judging their output as a writer. It's very much a game of two halves - does Abnett's prolific and powerful body of work in the last 20 years eclipse monumental stories like Nemesis, ABC Warriors or the Cursed Earth from the first 20? Can Pat still be regarded as the best given that so much of his later output can sometimes be slow, preachy and formulaic?

In the end, I had to go by personal impact - now I know that the thrill-receptors of  a 10-25 year old are more finely attuned than those of an older, more cynical reader, but as much as I admire Abnett's great scripts that have kept 2000ad on top of it's game well into the 21st century, absolutely nothing can compare to the sheer giddy, mind-expanding thrillpower that those early strips delivered, soo....

PAT MILLS (sorry Dan)

Dandontdare

see, now I'm thinking about Brink and Lawless and thinking of changing my mind for the millionth time.

No, sod it I'll stick.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 July, 2020, 08:27:43 PM
see, now I'm thinking about Brink and Lawless and thinking of changing my mind for the millionth time.

No, sod it I'll stick.

Do it...Abnett for the win ;)

Timothy

Dan for me. The comic owes Pat a lot, and I am not going to suggest that he is anything other than a legend, but it's Dan's stories that keep me reading again and again. Every one of his recent series have been wholly compelling and his ear for dialogue is second to none. Go, Dan.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

broodblik

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 July, 2020, 08:27:43 PM

No, sod it I'll stick.

Be vigilant succumb to the brink side of the prog