Main Menu

General Colouring Discussion

Started by Emperor, 05 August, 2009, 03:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Jordie Bellaire looking for a temporary colouring assistant/flatter, paid work that could get your foot in the door over the Pond:

QuoteTEMPORARY COLOR ASSISTANT/FLATTER NEEDED. TO START IMMEDIATELY.

Can be based anywhere as long as availability, communication and schedule are kept.

This is a paid position that will help you learn the business and the professional production of comics. It will mainly focus on coloring and preparing files for print. This would be helpful for anyone who wants to professionally produce a colored comic. I will also be available for anything you'd be interested in comics wise, whether or not it is critiques, private one on one tutorials or even asking artist/inker Declan Shalvey (Venom, Thunderbolts, 28 Days Later) some questions here and there.

Availability is important, internet connection is a must, photoshop skills are required. If interested please e-mail me at whoajordie@gmail.com.

http://jordiecolorsthings.tumblr.com/post/28702852006/temporary-color-assistant-flatter-needed-to-start
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

a chosen rider

iFanboy has been hosting a series of portfolio reviews by Bon Alimagno, a former talent coordinator for Marvel.  The latest one is looking at a colourist's portfolio.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Reddragonuk

I still use photoshop 7 for me flatting is a time waster. I find its better to spend time on how the colours blend with the lineart and dont fight against it. Check your tones by switching to greyscale every so often and play with warm and cool tones for a more interesting field of depth. I learned a lot from Tony Avina who coloured some of my work in the past he has some good tutorials on you tube. When im not on my phone ill try linking them. He uses a flatter saying all that lol.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Reddragonuk on 17 August, 2012, 01:31:50 PM
I still use photoshop 7 for me flatting is a time waster. I find its better to spend time on how the colours blend with the lineart and dont fight against it.

Colouring for fun? Do whatever works for you. Considering colouring professionally for print? Learn to do it the 'official' way. One of the main purposes of flatting is to produce continuous areas of colour that butt up against each other if you hide the linework, otherwise you run the risk of white 'halos' appearing at the edges of the linework wherever there's mis-registration.

There's a lot of technical stuff about ink limits and trapping that you need to know for paying gigs so, if that's something that's an ambition, even a distant one, then it's better to get into good habits now, rather than have to unlearn bad ones the first time you get a paid job.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

I used a flatter once as I was butting up to a deadline... felt a bit dirty for some reason but it certainly gives you an idea of what an artist wants. I've been a flatter for other people (MY RATES ARE VERY REASONABLE) - I find it the most tedious but rewarding part of the process really. Figuring out all the colours is the tricky part and SHADING IS LIKE ICING.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 August, 2012, 03:32:13 PM
Figuring out all the colours is the tricky part and SHADING IS LIKE ICING.

Also worth mentioning that if you're flatting for a pro colourist, they don't care what colours you use for the flats -- they'll change them regardless. All they're interested in is being able to make quick, clean selections of different parts of the artwork.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 August, 2012, 03:45:12 PM
they don't care what colours you use for the flats -- they'll change them regardless.

This is true - the one major flatting project I did however half the colours had already been done so I only thought it courteous to use the same ones rather than (when I hired a flatter) he just did y'know, easy-to-pick-out neons for everything and it took me ages changing all the colours back. It's kind of why I'm really happy to do it myself because as palette choice is half the process anyway.

Reddragonuk

Hi Jim not for fun for digital publication. I did colour covers and you may well be right in fact you probably are about the flatting but because I zoomed in tight with it I didnt suffer too badly with breaks. Now on your advice I would probably flat noe for future print publication if that is a side effect.

Im sure ots been mentioned before bit Gutterzombie is a fantastic resource for colouring.