Main Menu

2000 AD Regened: Reviews of FCBD 2018

Started by Richard, 06 May, 2018, 12:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 07 May, 2018, 03:33:58 PM
Sounds like the Regened was a success. Just wish that they make it available digitally as well for our poor folk who does not have access to this.

That would sort of defeat the point of FCBD, surely?

(I mean, maybe, six months later or something, I wouldn't mind a paid-for digital version...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 May, 2018, 03:37:41 PM

That would sort of defeat the point of FCBD, surely?

(I mean, maybe, six months later or something, I wouldn't mind a paid-for digital version...)

I agree, maybe in 6 months time. I will gladly pay for it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 May, 2018, 08:57:18 AM
Well have to say that was magnificent. I loved it all. Dredd, tick, Strontium Sprog Tick, Future Shock Tick Tick, Dr and Quinch Tick. But its the puzzle pages and extra bits in the middle that are the real boon of this comic. Well all the extra stuff from Joko-Jargo replacing Green bounce, to Intestinauts (if a little cramped on the page). The absolute highlight was the glory that was Chet Jetstream - Escape Hell Island, just brilliant, absolutely, makes me miss Zombo something rotten!

Anyway what was particularly interesting is being a big fan of the Phoenix how this underlined what 2000ad offers that's so much more. I mean I do love the Phoenix, more importantly my kids love the Phoenix, but it is all just a little safe and middle class. This had the same vibe, the same clean art, the same packed fun, but of course it had that 2000ad edge, that sense of anarchy and irreverance. The almight mischief in its twinkling eye.

Christ alive I wish this could be a regular thing!

Fantastic experiment Tharg and well done for making such a wonderous product, which stands out a mile on FCBD.

Thanks for such a positive review Colin. hopefully, this will lead to more of the same.

JOE SOAP

I'd love to see more and more also in the chance for new characters.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 May, 2018, 08:57:18 AM
Anyway what was particularly interesting is being a big fan of the Phoenix how this underlined what 2000ad offers that's so much more.  [ ... ] This had the same vibe, the same clean art, the same packed fun, but of course it had that 2000ad edge, that sense of anarchy and irreverance. The almight mischief in its twinkling eye.
FCBD.

Now this is intriguing.  It'll be interesting to see what my kids make of it when it turns up then.  My youngest quite enjoyed my old Titan Ro-Busters.  It's oft been noted that the early stuff has a different sensibility that can appeal to that age group.  It would be great if Tooth could recapture that.  Perhaps the next Winter special if ongoing is too risky at present?

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

well, the 2000ad fcbd titles have never made it to fp in southampton, in my experience. and the same was true this year. and as a collector, i am incomplete. despite no longer even being based there, tharg is so london-centric!

Theblazeuk

I'm going to buck the trend and say I didn't like it, but I appreciate what it was trying to do - just that in previous years, 2000AD has had the best comic by far and this time, it didn't do anything for me. Mind you I think this was a generally weak FCBD (Not even a mouseguard)

Trout

Me and the sprogs loved this and we'd welcome more! I think the Stront story was the biggest hit.

sheridan

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 08 May, 2018, 01:01:04 PM
well, the 2000ad fcbd titles have never made it to fp in southampton, in my experience. and the same was true this year. and as a collector, i am incomplete. despite no longer even being based there, tharg is so london-centric!

It's up to the comic shops what they order (if they're participating in FCBD at all - quite an outlay for a small shop) - I do wonder what the criteria is for a shop to choose which ones they'll go for.

Bolt-01

I think I need to read it again to really absorb it, but I loved it. The main strips (Dredd & SD) were a hoot and it was a great opportunity to see how a few new creatives worked. I Think Indio has come a long way since his work on the early Dogbreaths but unfortunately some of his panels really didn't work for me.

I'd love for this to be a semi-regular title, it would be a great home to some of the 'Treasury' cast and having the 2000 AD vibe I can't see a down side.

Top work Tharg!

Richard

QuoteI'd love for this to be a semi-regular title
You know it's every year, right?

sheridan

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 May, 2018, 08:19:51 AM
I'd love for this to be a semi-regular title, it would be a great home to some of the 'Treasury' cast and having the 2000 AD vibe I can't see a down side.

Top work Tharg!

Is the Phoenix weekly or monthly (or something else)?  Isn't the 'generation' for young readers about three years?  It'd have to come out often enough that new readers have something to get in to before they age (or progress to Tooth).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 10 May, 2018, 01:18:52 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 May, 2018, 08:19:51 AM

Top work Tharg!

Is the Phoenix weekly or monthly (or something else)?  Isn't the 'generation' for young readers about three years?  It'd have to come out often enough that new readers have something to get in to before they age (or progress to Tooth).

Phoenix is weekly. My son is 6, my daughter almost 9 I reckon Phoenix will last folks until 11-13... or to you know adult age like me - I await the day I admit the subscription is really for me! Plenty of space for the right product it seems.

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 10 May, 2018, 12:51:12 PM
QuoteI'd love for this to be a semi-regular title
You know it's every year, right?

You might want to rethink the flowers and wine policy there?  Perhaps a candle lit dinner?  Might increase the frequency?

IndigoPrime

I read mine last night. Echoing others here, I think this got the all-ages vibe spot-on, in that it seemed safe for kids, but not dumbed down. As an adult, I wasn't sitting there thinking it was playing it too safe. The only general criticism I'd make is that the entire thing was very male-oriented, not just from the leads, but also regarding backgrounds. (The Dredd story is a good example of that – no reason the Aeroball teams couldn't have been of mixed gender; it was at least nice to see the female Judge at the end though.) And, yeah, I bang on about this subject a lot, but then I have a nearly 4yo sprog who I'd like to have more options for reading, without always having to read about boys.

In terms of the stories themselves, Dredd was enjoyable, entertainingly showing that he's always been a stickler. And, yes, that panel on page five was superb – the funniest thing in the comic. Strontium Dog felt like it was from a different continuity, where mutants have powers rather than mere deformities. In a sense, it felt like an 'Ultimates' take on the character – a modern, fresh, reboot for younger readers. I'd happily read more.

The quiz pages were, well, quiz pages, and Dr. Globulon was an odd and entertaining single-pager. Hell Island was surprisingly fun. It again showcases what can happen when you have more freedom over the contents of a comic, and can just do strange little things like this. (It feels like a modern take on what you might have once seen in the pre-1985 annuals, or perhaps an early summer special. I pity the poor sod who had to figure out the mesh though. I've done this sort of narrative in the past, and it's a bloody nightmare.)

Next up, Humancraft wouldn't have felt out of place in the Prog. Surprisingly dark ending in a comic for kids. Which leaves Dr. and Quinch. Bringing them back doesn't really bother me, given that it's already happened before, they don't seem terribly important characters in 2000 AD's history, and Moore himself has in the past somewhat disowned them. Everything felt a little 'off' here, though, in terms of Dr's voice. The meta nature of the strip largely worked, though, and seems fitting for this particular book.

It'd be interesting to see more, but also it's interesting that this was seen as the vehicle for Regened. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when that decision was taken, rather than issuing it as a summer special. Perhaps this was testing the water. One would hope that if a comic of this sort did find its way on to the shelves, it'd sell well to younglings, who'd then want more.

Oh, and as for The Phoenix, that appears to be slowly spreading. It's even on sale in our local WHSmith now. \o/