Main Menu

3D or not 3D, that is the question

Started by Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK, 13 June, 2017, 01:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

One of the major things people took away from the Xbox One X is that there seems to be no 3D support, after it was a key pitch during the early days of Project Scorpio.

Sony seems to still have dev support going by what was shown at E3

So my question to you is do you think that 3D has a future in console gaming? Sony say yes, Microsoft seem to be saying no. What say you?

I, Cosh

Well, everyone's given up on 3DTV so it seems likely that games will follow suit or jump to Oculus/PSVR.

Most of my favourite games are 2D scrolling shootemups so I've absolutely no interest in either myself.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Yeah I do like 3D when it's done well (I like the occasional 3D blu-ray) but it seems like with tvs moving away from it it's not something that's worth putting a lot of dev resources into. I haven't jumped to 4K yet but from shopping around it seems rare a 4K telly supports 3D, and your blu-ray options nowadays are either '3D with 2D copy' or '4K plus regular 2D copy'.

I think Gears of War 3 might be the only game I've ever done a full 3D playthrough of actually. It was quite neat, and there were parts of the game that felt they really benefited from that depth, but the resolution obviously has to take a hit to get things on screen that fast, and nowadays I don't think gamers in general would choose to make that trade-off. They want the assets looking as great as possible, and downgrading those to add 3D isn't a sacrifice they want to make. That's not to say the Scorpio won't output in 3D when you want it to, but I can't see studios making it a priority as it never really took off in a big way.

Silent Hill Homecoming had a 3D mode but I could never get it to activate for some reason (always greyed out). I might give that another try.

Steve Green

Outside of VR, dead in the water I'd imagine.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Waste of time. It's too dark for my tastes. I prefer 2D in the cinema, too, for that reason.
Lock up your spoons!

repoman

Resurrect-o-thread!

I'm still into 3D.  I bought a 3D TV, the last one they made (Panasonic thing).  Not many games are supported anymore and I don't have a PS3 now but there were definitely some gems.

Motorstorm: Apocalypse was insane in 3D.  As was Child of Eden, House of the Dead Overkill and few other games.

I've not dabbled much with 3D stuff recently because I've got PSVR and that's kind of taken over but for a while it was very cool.

It's a shame the 3DS didn't make more of it also.