Main Menu

....NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 14/5/05, EPISODE 8, FATHERS DAY...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 14 May, 2005, 11:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKE COLLINS

.... funnily enough, working on the Who strip they won't tell me either- but I noticed when ep2 of the strip I've just done with Roachy and Dylan, a poster in the background of one panel now has Bad Wolf on it, and I certainly didn't put it there... whooooo.....!

Link: www.freakhousegraphics.co.uk

paulvonscott

I dunno, I just keep thinking Russel T Davies likes staying up late typing this stuff while crying into his hankie.  Everything seems really over the top emotionally.

The Amstor Computer

...except this ep was written by Paul Cornell...

Tiplodocus

I enjoyed that a lot

even though (and I'm sure Mister Cornell can explain) they didn't seem to have thought through all of the time paradoxes etc.  And it seemed awfully handy that the car kept looping around the church.

But brilliant stuff - some great touches, neat monsters and a loser dad who is smart enough to realise he's a loser.  The Mickey stuff was fun too.  Tiny Tips also loved it.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

WoD

Tips - how tiny is tiny-tips?  I was wondering how young are the young children who are being allowed to watch this series.

LARF

Yeh, I was going to mention that. The BBC are releasing the boxed DVD set of the new Who Series as a 12 - if so why is it on at 7.00pm?

Wake

I'm letting Finn watch it, who's 3. He saw this week's episode while I was in Bristol. On Sunday he told me that he didn't like the scary flying things, but he still watched the episode again with me on video on Sunday.

He can't be pursuaded to watch any of the original Star Wars films because Darth Vader is too scary. The only version he has seen is the Gangster Rap one on the Internet.

Wake

IndigoPrime

More importantly, why is the BBC trying to flog a 13-episode box-set at ?70 (that's SEVENTY pounds?) That's not a huge rip-off, then...

Tordelbach

Dr. Who is now the only "must see" programme on TV in our household, with frantic pre-holiday Video Player instruction of ageing parents and useless siblings ("We've programmed it to record Dr. Who. If you're around, just don't touch it.  Don't unplug it.  Don't switch it off.  No. Just don't touch it.  Don't touch it.  Oh for God's sake Dad, give me back your spare key".).  

Cementing this phenomenon with some real emotional involvement, "Father's Day" was fecking excellent, and ellicited more than one tear from the missus and much opened-mouthed "flippineck" from your more stoic correspondent.  

Okay, it's a pretty hackneyed plot, but just beautifully executed (crappily intrusive music aside), and a great continuation of the "I'm a manic-depressive timelord but i'll let my pretty companion distract me with her enthusiasm for exactly what a Time Machine can do" plot arc.

Why is there nothing else half as good as this on the box at the moment?

MINI-SPOILER

I would never have believed that modern Dr. Who could have contained any moment as shocking and perfect as the empty Tardis reveal.  

WoD

Mini-WoD (2 1/2 today) doesn't get to watch Dr Who (a bit too young), but does enjoy Star Wars Episode 4, or as he calls it, 'Little Robot DVD'.  We've even caught him doing the 'Darth Vader Theme Tune'  his other favourite is the car chase scene in the (original) Italian Job (and he often sings the theme tune to that as well).

House of Usher

Finally caught up with it. Yeah, good episode. Really enjoyed it, can't say there's been a better one this new series.

My own take on the layering of time travel is that in the original universe, Rose's dad was killed and Rose wasn't there to see it. When the Doctor and Rose visited that time, their presence erased the time-line that issued from moment originally, to the effect that the new timeline included the Doctor and Rose watching (no rescue attempt). That timeline too became adjusted (erased) when the Doctor and Rose visited again and Rose impulsively saved her father. The point of not being seen by their earlier selves is to avoid changing too much in the new timeline that follows. If alternate timelines get created you can't access them by time travel. You'd have to travel interdimensionally, like in the Jon Pertwee adventure 'Inferno'.

As to why Rose can't interact with her earlier self, it's just 'Not A Good Idea'.

There was lots of guff that didn't warrant too careful thinking about, but what made up for that was all the mushy stuff. I watched the end on my own last night and I cried for the last 15 minutes. Deborah watched the end this morning while I was getting ready for work and I came downstairs to find her having a good old cry too.

The next episode looks good. My nieces enjoyed the Dalek one and the youngest had nightmares about it for 3 days afterwards. Of course they look forward to every episode!
STRIKE !!!

WoD

I can still remember having nightmares about the Daleks from when I was about 7, 27 years ago, and some of the specifics like hiding under the desk in junior school!!  And don't get me started on the nightmares I had from watching Day Of the Triffids on the BBC.

Tiplodocus

Tiny Tips is five and hums the Dr Who theme tune when it comes on.  It's the only event telly we have in our house; everyone, save teenage daughter, cosying up on the sofa to watch it.

He absolutely loved the dalek episode - looking forward to a few more classic monsters turning up.

Tiny Tips also likes Star Wars and Jurassic Park movies. He's not scared by dinosaurs eating people in the slightest.  

I am still umming and ahing about taking him to see the next Star Wars film though (hey - its' had some positive reviews) as it sounds a bit violent and dark.  He's already convinced he's going to see it though so we might have to do an early showing so I have all day to take his mind off the dismemberings and immolations etc.

I'm looking forward to him getting to about eight or nine and sitting down and watching Lord of The Rings with him - at the moment we don't even have it on when hes around because I think it would be a bit scary for him.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

WoD

yeah..it's not easy.  There's some sections in Star Wars I try to distract the boy when they are on (like Vader throttling someone very early on and the fight scene in the cantina), but as the little bugger can operate the DVD player, there's not much stopping him really!

Richmond Clements

That's something that I've always puzzled over.
the Star Wars movies have an awful amount of beheadings and amputations, as well as entire planet fulls of people being wiped out, yet they have all, up to now, managed to get a U certificate.
Which makes me wonder what the hell this one has that requires a higher rating. Either way, I'll go and see it first, before deciding if the younglings can go... aww who am I kidding, they'll see it on DVD anyway, won't they?