Main Menu

New Books for August!

Started by 2000AD Online, 21 August, 2007, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

THE COMPLETE NEMESIS THE WARLOCK VOL. 2
By Pat Mills, Kevin O'Neill, Bryan Talbot, John Hicklenton and Tony Luke

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON!

In his continuing battle against  the wicked forces of Termight's mad tyrant Torquemada, alien freedom fighter Nemesis The Warlock is joined by his bloodthirsty son Thoth and war robots the ABC Warriors for a nightmarish adventure across the terrifying Time Wastes...

From the unique imagination of Pat Mills (Savage) this second volume in the series comes complete with an introduction by the author, an afterword by Bryan Talbot and over 40 pages of extra material!

£13.99
Paperback
304 pages

JUDGE DREDD: THE CARLOS EZQUERRA COLLECTION
By Carlos Ezquerra, Henry Flint, John Wagner, Gordon Rennie and Garth Ennis

HE DRAWS THE LAW!

As co-creator of Judge Dredd, Carlos Ezquerra is responsible for the future lawman's iconic design, bringing a European sensibility to Britain's most famous comic character. Now you can witness the power of the master at work in this collection of modern Dredd stories. From the aftermath of Judgement Day in 'The Taking of Sector 123' to the tough justice of Cursed Earth Koburn this Graphic Novel contains the very best work of a true original.

With stories by Garth Ennis (Preacher), John Wagner (A History of Violence) and Gordon Rennie (Caballistics Inc.) this compilation is pure 2000 AD gold!

£13.99
Paperback
240 pages

NEW FROM ABADDON!

THE AFTERBLIGHT CHRONICLES: SCHOOL'S OUT
By Scott Andrews

"After the world died we all sort of drifted back to school. After all, where else was there for us to go?"

It's never easy being fifteen, but when your teachers are killing each other, the prefect who loves to bully you is experimenting with crucifixion, and the rival gang from across town have decided that ritualistic cannibalism is the way to go, spots and BO don't seem like such big problems after all.

These are the final days of St Marks' School For Boys, and the punishment for disobedience is death!

The Afterblight Chronicles is an exciting series of high-action post-apocalypse fiction set in a world ruled by crazed gangs and strange cults.

"Abaddon promises to deliver a whole new generation of dark fantastic fiction. New voices, new nightmares, stylish, powerful and taboo breaking." ­ Clive Barker

£6.99
Paperback

Link: Tharg's Newsround

Rio De Fideldo

How good is the Carlos coverhttp://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?Comic=graphicnovels&choice=carlos">

radiator

Cue fanboy 'I can't believe they've changed the logo on the Dredd books' backlash.

The Amstor Computer

Cue fanboy 'I can't believe they've changed the logo on the Dredd books' backlash.

No complaints here - it's a far better logo, even if I still can't understand why they don't just go the whole way and return to the classic JD logo. They're nearly there, and the classic is far superior in terms of design.

IndigoPrime

I agree. The new logo's OK, but it lacks personality and individuality. Still, it's better than the previous one. Nice cover, too.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Tony Luke? Wait a minute...

Photostrip!

Finn/Sinn

Dark Jimbo

Photostrip!

Classic. I didn't think we'd get those. Perhaps the Diceman adventures are not so unlikely now either...?

:-)
@jamesfeistdraws

Robin Low

"Photostrip! Classic. I didn't think we'd get those."

Neither did I. Personally, I can't understand why they're being included. They had no redeeming features whatsoever and they're not necessary to the story. I mean, I'm an obsessive completist and all, but even I have limits!

Regards

Robin

Robin Low

"JUDGE DREDD: THE CARLOS EZQUERRA COLLECTION"

Does anyone know the full list of stories reprinted in this? I'm hoping that they're mostly Meg stories.

Regards

Robin

IndigoPrime

Well, the Nemesis collections are supposedly going to be complete and include everything. The photo strips are dire, but I'd rather have them in than out. Frankly, I'm surprised you're saying otherwise, what with your comments about other Rebellion collections that are less-than-complete.

radiator

As far as I'm aware, there is no full list yet. I'm pretty sure it will include:

Phartz!
The taking of Sector 123
All Cursed Earth Coburn
The Girlfriend
Strum und Dang

That brings the page count up to 145

Other possibles:
The Neon man
Bad Frendz
Time Machine
Megalot
Matters of life and death

Actually looking through his Dredd output, its amazing how few one offs/short serials he's done. Most of his Dredd work has been on epics.

Helter Skelter is a possible (Amazon have Henry Flint listed as co-illustrator) though I hope not. I doubt they'd dedicate so much of the page count to a strip that was reprinted by Titan fairly recently.

radiator

If it doesn't include Helter Skelter, or indeed any other previously reprinted stories (Death Aid etc) then to make up the page count, they'd need to include some earlier stuff like 'Kirby's Demon', maybe that 'You are Judge Dredd' thing from that annual.

....As you may have guessed, today is a slow day at work.

jabish

Would this be a possibility:

Phartz!
The taking of Sector 123
All Cursed Earth Coburn
Strum und Dang
Bad Frendz
Helter Skelter

total: 235 pages

I'm pretty sure Helter Skelter is in there and I'm really hoping that Bad Frendz makes it in.

jabish

And I wish they'd publish a contents list when the books are announced. :-)

Robin Low

"Frankly, I'm surprised you're saying otherwise, what with your comments about other Rebellion collections that are less-than-complete."

I can understand that, and I am aware that my comments do sound somewhat contradictory.

To me, the differences here are quality and significance. The thing about the Nemesis photo-strips is that they look grossly out of place, add nothing to the series, and most importantly are not very good stories.

Compare this with Ennis and Hogan's Strontium Dogs. While not perfect, many of these stories are actually good fun, with some great art. They also take the setting forward in an interesting way, particularly Hogan's. They are, in my opinion, worth collecting.

With regard to the Complete Dredds, it's true that there are many stories from the early 90s that are as dire and insignificant as the Nemesis photo-strips. The trouble is, which ones? When we all argued and discussed this before, it turned out that there were a lot of popular stories from that era, perhaps more than many of us remembered. Given that, completeness seems to be the best option.

However, my comments on the inclusion of the Nemesis photo-strips should be considered more surpise than complaint - at the end of the day they're just a few pages in a big book.

Regards

Robin