Main Menu

Would you recommend Cradlegrave?

Started by marko10174, 20 August, 2017, 01:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I love horror, and this strip sounds very appealing to me. I'm very tempted to buy it.

maryanddavid

Yes. Perfect synchronicity of script and art, up there with the best of what 2000AD is about.

dweezil2

Definitely!

It's a modern 2000AD classic, in my opinion.  :thumbsup: 
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

Absolutely a wonderful piece of work. An examination of how society makes its monsters through the prism of John Smith's genius. Realised by quite beautifully by Edmund Bagwell.

One of Tharg's best.

Greg M.

It's one of the best stories Tharg's ever published - certainly in contention for best John Smith story ever (though there's a lot of competition) and undoubtedly his most controlled and mature work. Bit of a Cronenberg vibe about it.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Unreservedly. One of the best stories I've ever read in 2000ad. Frankly, creepier than a lot of supposedly "horror" novels.

1980s Frank Herbert meets 2000s inner-city, directed by Cronenberg with an unlimited budget.
Lock up your spoons!

Tjm86

Does ursine sylvan ablution ever happen?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 20 August, 2017, 09:53:43 AM
Unreservedly. One of the best stories I've ever read in 2000ad. Frankly, creepier than a lot of supposedly "horror" novels.

1980s Frank Herbert meets 2000s inner-city, directed by Cronenberg with an unlimited budget.

Bugger. JAMES Herbert. Frank Hervert and Cronenberg would be more sandy and wormy.
Lock up your spoons!

Eamonn Clarke

Interestingly (to me), John Smith confirmed on Facebook that we got it right about the gang tag on the the doors standing for "Cradlegrave riot squad".

Tjm86

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 20 August, 2017, 10:54:36 AM
Frank Hervert and Cronenberg would be more sandy and wormy.

Interesting Freudian slip there?

JayzusB.Christ

By Christ, yes, I would recommend Cradlegrave. (That's me recommending it on Eamonn's podcast, in fact.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

marko10174

I bought it yesterday for even pounds. Got high hopes for this one!

AlexF

Do tell us what you think! It's super horrible (in a good way). Probably the most unsettling comics-reading experience I've had, and that's coming within an anthology that had the staples of comedy, action and violence surrounding it.

marko10174

Well I'm certainly glad I made this purchase! Cradlegrave was just perfection. Putting the horror elements to one side, the writer really caught the grim, bleak, reality of living in an underclass council estate (I used to live in one). I love David Cronenberg and I'm a casual HP Lovecraft fan, so it was nice to see those references. The story was truly grotesque and repulsive viewing at times, but never felt gratuitous. Shane, despite his misdemeanours was actually a likeable protagonist, and I found myself rooting for him. It's hard not to sympathise with a character that has all the odds stacked against him. I know the horror was quite ambiguous, but what do you think the evil was growing inside of the old woman?