Main Menu

Prog 2192 - Bearing Down!

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 July, 2020, 04:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well read this while having the Starlordathon on the computer by my side I worried I'd have to stop as I'd get distracted but NO not a thing of it. So tick in the Prog is engrossing box there.

Dredd - well he bear is a needless distraction and it being Shako (no need for spoilers now surely its on the cover?) serves no story purpose. That said its not much of a distraction and this is a solid episode. Art by Master Flint is stunning as ever.

Full Tilt Boogie gets on it full tilt boogie (should I google whether a full tilt boogie is a thing? It sounds like it might be a thing... oh just looked it up and yep this is full tilt boogie cool (not the Dusk Til Dawn documentry who knew?!?) as the series explodes into action. Its fun and energetic.

Over at Diaboliks it goes all full tilt boogie too as it gets its action on as well. That's a little more chaotic that in FTB but I think that serves the story well... except I don't know what vhappened with the axe is the shrrrripppp the axe?

The Order remains magnificent as it continues to get its action on and Danny looks to be in trouble and our heroes seem to ahve a desperate escape plan... but to where?

The Out also continues to be superb, absolutely superb. I think some said that the Tankinar are going to be revealed as human or human adjacent the more I read the more I think that speculation is going to be correct. But its going to be a blast finding out - this is another Adnett hit - just fantastic.

So yeah all in all a magnificent prog AND in Thrills of the Future we get further confirmation (which I think we'd had from Richard Elson already) of more Feral & Foe which is a good thing.

NapalmKev

Dredd was the highlight of the Prog for me! Outanding episode and I have no problem with Shako being in it. Much in the same way as Ichabod and the Head I think it all hints to more than just Four Horsemen tearing the shit out of the Human Race.

The Diaboliks really has grown on me and this episode is top notch.

The Order continues to be great and I expect some sort of limited edition hardback to be announced at some point. Guaranteed purchase!

The Out continues to intrigue and the artwork... absolutely stunning. Epic Space-Ports and Giant War Machines set against more intimate moments with the travelling party. This is thrill that I'd like to see run for a while. After all we did get around 20 weeks of Brink in a row and by Grud I did think it too many!

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

73north

annoyingly - no Prog this Saturday - same as last week
expect it to arrive on the Monday or Tuesday

I also struggled to order the new Judge Dredd paperback Year 3 - Fallen Angel
and had to e-mail customer support at Rebellion - as there was no postage option - fault
and you couldn't order the book - happily sorted within a day

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have given up on the Order and Full Tilt Boogie. I just don't understand what is going on.

The Order is a ramble of non sequiturs that render it incomprehensible. Example from this week: the orange haired chap. (I long ago lost track of who was who, sorry).

Page 2, panel 1: He is commiserating with someone. Talking sense: "Aye. I know, big fella. She's gone".

Page 2, panel 3: He is shot.

THEN

Page 4, panel 5: He is holding his head. (And the art makes it look like the location has changed, as its gone from a ship deck to pitch black)

THEN

Page 5, panel 5: He is walking like a zombie.

I get that he has somehow been damaged. But it is too hard to follow and lacks narrative flow. This could have been done on one page with clear showing of the damage and how it affects him. Instead, it's spread over three, jumples with panels showing other characters and actions and scens, and makes the whole thing utter gibberish.

Dredd: Meh. He fights a bear.

Full Tilt: No idea.

Diaboliks: The double page spreads are confusing too.

Out: Good.
Lock up your spoons!

Richard

You're clearly very confused! You've described two different characters while believing them to be the same person! Just give up now! (I agree that The Order is generally incomprehensible though.)

What's hard to follow about Full Tilt Boogie though? That story seems perfectly clear to me. Black Dog and the ship are both survivors from one side of a war that ended long ago: their return activated the temple which turned five people into Luxine Knights, whose predecessors fought for the other side. They've been sent to fight Black Dog and the ship. One of the knights is the sister of Prince Ifan, who was supposed to have been chosen to be a knight himself, but for the fact that he was kidnapped by Tee (whose fault it is that Black Dog and the ship came back in the first place, which we saw in a Re-gened prog but you might have missed that one). So the Luxine Knights are now fighting Black Dog (which is what Luxine Knights are supposed to do), and one of them is also the sister of the kidnap victim (whose pride is a bit hurt, hence his tantrum). Personally I love this series and hope there'll be another one.

I don't think the Tankinar will turn out to be human, because in an earlier episode the alien batman said he'd never seen or even heard of a human before, but he told Cyd who the Tankinar are. I'm sure we'll be finding out soon though. This is a great series too.

I'm not quite sure what happened in the last two panels of Diaboliks, but I expect we'll find out next week.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 27 July, 2020, 09:05:39 PM

I don't think the Tankinar will turn out to be human, because in an earlier episode the alien batman said he'd never seen or even heard of a human before, but he told Cyd who the Tankinar are. I'm sure we'll be finding out soon though. This is a great series too.

If they'd never seen a human how would they know the Tankinar aren't them. It doesn't seem likely they'd have seen a Tankinar, either.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

The Tankinar have invaded them before, so they're notorious. I doubt that they wouldn't even know what they looked like.

It's been a thousand years since the Vikings last invaded us, but we know what they looked like (even if we've embellished them slightly).

Colin YNWA

My theory, which given my track record means I'm almost certainly wrong - is that the line by the barman is a slight of hand being played by Dabnett. They had never seen a human so they have no reference to a Tankinar, so there's nothing to stop them being one and the same. He had then seen Cyd BUT Tank-in-ar the humans are inside some sort of exoskeleton, combat suit, maybe even a literal tank so they don't associate Cyd with this warring species they have observed / seen reported.

As I say my track record at predicting these things is shocking so chances are you are absolutely right. I just think with the hints dropped - the build up to seeing the Tankinar that will be the reveal... whatever its going to be fun finding out.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Richard on 27 July, 2020, 09:05:39 PM
You're clearly very confused! You've described two different characters while believing them to be the same person! Just give up now! (I agree that The Order is generally incomprehensible though.)

What's hard to follow about Full Tilt Boogie though? .

You're right about Full Tilt Boogie. I am taking my annoyane on the Order out on it.

But if I am genuinely confusing two characters then that makes things worse.

Are there really two identical characters with orange hair with a white stripe, wearing identical purple clothing? How are you supposed to distinguish them?

And surely the fact I need to ask that question sums up the problems with the Order?
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

PS That was a rhetorical question. I am quite sure one is a clone or robot or from another time line. I just can't bring myself to care - so God help any casual reader picking up the prog.
Lock up your spoons!

CalHab

You're not alone with being confused by The Order. The John Burns art is wonderful, but there is no effort to provide a clear story.

The Out and FTB remain the highlights. Hopefully Dredd picks up with the next foe/horseperson. I do like the Sienkiewicz Demon Bear thing that Henry Flint has gone for, though.

Also, the cover has a truly terrible pun. Brilliant.

JimmyNailz

I  thought this was a thrill-packed prog!

Dredd - might be my favourite chapter so far of End Of Days thus far. Great action and peril. Plus, an [spoiler]Super Anderson Angel[/spoiler]?!?

Full Tilt Boogie - Gave me the scrap I was hoping for. Still really enjoying it.

The Diaboliks - Another great chapter. I really like the repeated use of Inspector Sabbatini opening up each chapter, introducing us to whatever mayhem they've caused. The double-spread action pages looked magnificent.

The Order - More running and panicking and horror and I like it. I have been equally as confused as others here as to whats going on, I listened to a Kek-W interview on the Thrillcast this afternoon, and feel a bit more informed now.

The Out - Whilst every other thrill gave us action-aplenty, here we get to see the aftermath. Another great chapter of my current favourite thrill.

A top notch prog!

broodblik

A good action-packed prog this week.

Dredd - As these epics go it just gets worse for Dredd but luckily Anderson is not too far away. Flint's art is really working for me as the action intensify. 

Full Tilt Boogie - Some good action with Ocana's art giving the action the necessary boost. Just two more episodes to go so hopefully this is not the last of this.

Diaboliks - I like how the what happened is told out of the perspective out the interrogator. A lot of double pages since Fuso took over the art duties.

The Order - The wild ride continues. Keep your hat on on any just look at the pretty pictures. As always I am enjoying this helter skelter story but you have to keep your wits about you.

The Out - This as already stated another Abnett classic in the making. The story is a less action orientated as the rest but when it is so well told why do we care. I am also intrigued to know who the Tankinar (would be interesting if Colin's theory is correct)

Talking about Abnett great to see that another Feral & Foe is in the working
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.