Main Menu

Forum restriction on member signup

Started by VinceBot, 30 November, 2009, 02:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VinceBot

So I had one of those crazy ideas again today. How about:

- When a guest (logged out user) browses the forum, they can see all the forums.
- When a new member signs up, they can only see the Welcome board until they have posted once (in the welcome board).

I thought this would cut down on some of the 1400 members who have signed up but not posted, ensure people at least walk past the Forum Rules post, and maybe centralise fresh spam.

Please post below to tell me how much of a bad idea this is.

pauljholden

I dunno... from one angle it's almost a punishment for signing up (and we all know that  listening to Jim Campbell is punishment enough...)

-pj

James Stacey

Wouldn't people just log out then ? I can't honestly see what it would achive.

Mike Gloady

Hmmmmm, maybe an alternative would be that whenever someone who's NOT yet posted signs in or whatever, one of those little announcement things pops up inviting them to start a welcome thread and introduce themselves so they can feel more a part of the community?  Just click a link and bang, you're in and typing.

It would, at least, save on all those folks who post their welcome thread in "Help" or "Website" subforums.....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Wake

Quote from: VinceBot on 30 November, 2009, 02:54:21 PM
- When a new member signs up, they can only see the Welcome board until they have posted once (in the welcome board).

Is it possible to set it so that they can still see the whole board but cannot post until they have posted at least once in the welcome board?

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

Jim_Campbell

Woolly

On topic: I think Mike Gloady's perfected the idea, a gentle nudge in the right direction as it were.

Off topic: I'm often amazed how people seem to have a problem with Jim, when Godpleton is seemingly allowed to type whatever offensive shite he likes!  ???
I'm fighting with Jim Campbell block, so there!

W. R. Logan

Quote from: .Woolly on 01 December, 2009, 03:13:29 PMOff topic: I'm often amazed how people seem to have a problem with Jim, when Godpleton is seemingly allowed to type whatever offensive shite he likes!

Its probably because Jim is one of the sub culture types and wears hats.

Mike Gloady

Thanks Wooly, I've printed that. 

EVIDENCE THAT I AM OCCASIONALLY RIGHT.  Or at least in the neighbourhood.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: .Woolly on 01 December, 2009, 03:13:29 PM

Off topic: I'm often amazed how people seem to have a problem with Jim, when Godpleton is seemingly allowed to type whatever offensive shite he likes!  ???

Mmm. I'm glad I'm not the only person who's noticed that ... thanks, .Woolly!

Cheers

Jim

Mike Gloady

Jim, Wooly & I will now form our own elite faction and do....  well, probably not that much.  But we'll be right.

Peter Wolf

I have never had any problem with what Jim and Roger type so therefore i am neutral.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 01 December, 2009, 03:21:53 PM
Its probably because Jim is one of the sub culture types and wears hats.

That's hattist, that is!

Cheers

Jim