Main Menu

Block War card game

Started by Dash Decent, 11 November, 2017, 11:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 December, 2018, 10:19:23 AM
I'm getting it from the missus for Christmas, so I'll be picking your brains come Stephen's Day, Colin! As noted in the Dredd RPG thread, would be possible to play this on a virtual tabletop, with a wee bit of work.

Happy to try this virtual table top thing... whatever it is????

shaolin_monkey

Mine turned up today! Woohoo!

Just need someone good at card games to help me through the rules. Instruction manuals just confuse me. They're probably not complicated for the average punter, but I learn by doing!

DrJomster

I've got mine too! Sadly, it's now sitting wrapped under the Christmas tree, so I'll have to wait a couple of days!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

TordelBack

Honestly Colin, the lesson from all this that you have no kind of self-control.  Bet half the selection boxes in your house are already missing their Crunchies.

Colin YNWA

Arh but it was never a pressie the timing is just unfortunate... I still not read the bumper Prog and all... mind it's not the Crunchies you have to worry about it's the After Eights.

shaolin_monkey

Hallelujah! This video makes the instructions so much clearer to the likes of me!

https://youtu.be/m2iJBawUAjE

Colin YNWA

Right so in my first ever game my 7 year old son beat me... do I

1) Put it down to luck
2) Not worry as we're learning the game and neither of use really knew what we were doing
3) Worry that I got beaten by my dagnabbit 7 YEAR OLD and never mention it to a living soul...

Leigh S

watching that video, it seems you are always attacking the Judges rather than your opponents block?  Seems odd for a Block War game!

Colin YNWA

There's a number of ways you get through to opponents Preps but there is a need to kill Justice Department folk a lot.

Dandontdare

Just found out my brother's ordered this for me for xmas but it hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait, looks good

TordelBack

Enjoying playing a few learning games, but I'm not convinced the printed rules are very clear. YouTube tutorials are more helpful, but a Card Glossary covering special cases would be useful.

It took me ages to realise that units could only attack through an open gate, and I'm still not sure where in the rules it says this!

So here's my first question to the hive mind:

The Bike Cannon's card text says: "The Lawmaster fires its' [sic] Bike Cannon destroying any closed gate it is fscing".

But does it have to defeat any defenders in the conventional way before it gets its shot? The "any closed gate" would suggest not. And if not, what happens to any units defending the gate? Can the defender just use an AP to move them to an intact gate on his turn?

TordelBack

Ah-hah, just found the FAQ - confirms units are destroyed when gate is, so I presume that means they don't have to be defeated first. Powerful card, but nothing on the Stub Gun!  :o

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2018, 06:51:15 PM
It took me ages to realise that units could only attack through an open gate, and I'm still not sure where in the rules it says this!

Oh thanks fuck it wasn't just me being thick!

That video tutorial shaolin_monkey makes it all much clearer I think - thanks again for sharing.

TordelBack

Hah, two days puzzling out the rules and playing with against myself, and then casually trounced by my 12 year old in our first two proper games. Sigh.

Still, now I have the hang of it it's fun, plays very fast and is surprisingly evocative of the setting. Rikki-Rikki-Rikki! Hope the mentioned-expansions are already in train.

DrJomster

They've had some feedback on the rules and are working on a clearer rulebook. The work in progress version is here. http://forums.gameandacurry.com/showthread.php?tid=3

There's some interesting initial feedback elsewhere on the forum, which is worth a look if you have the game.

Btw, I do like the artist credits on the cards.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.