Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I've had two replacements so far. Both arrived 'same week' for me (i.e. I asked for something on Monday and it showed up before Friday). 14–28 days just gives them some leeway, I guess.

moldovangerbil

Thanks both for the info.  I thought it sounded too long just to get another book sent out.  Incidentally, does the replacement show up on your hachette account details before they send it out?

ManParrish

Anyone know the issues from 12 onwards? Really hoping from some more classic Dredd from the 80-90s, Judge Child, Angel Gang etc

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ManParrish on 12 June, 2015, 10:26:27 PM
Anyone know the issues from 12 onwards? Really hoping from some more classic Dredd from the 80-90s, Judge Child, Angel Gang etc

12 is Democracy Now, 13 Hondo-City Justice... and 19 Day of Chaos II.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

Today is going to be a very pleasant day once all the work is out of the way.  Tooth, magazine, next two mega collection volumes and ...

First print.  I think like a lot of us I was a bit apprehensive about this but looking at the first one, I'm going to stick with it for the long haul.  Nicely packaged, border already in place for framing, ...  Only downside is the similarity with the Urban Warfare bookplate.

For me, this has to be the best gizzit of the collection.

abelardsnazz

Loving Day of Chaos, especially PJ Maybe. I've been a lapsed reader for 19 years so it's great to catch up on what I've missed. Hoping for a Dark Judges volume soon.

Anzati

I got my 10 and 11 today, did anyone else notice the improved packaging? Thicker corrugated card this time, which is great (although it meand the packages don't fit through my letter box now :lol:). Looks like they are paying attention to the complaints of damaged books/torn packaging :)

moldovangerbil

Quote from: Anzati on 15 June, 2015, 11:21:30 AM
I got my 10 and 11 today, did anyone else notice the improved packaging?

Errr.....no - my copy of 11 was damaged.  Hopefully, this improvement is something they're going to put in place for all deliveries in future though rather than it just being the luck of the draw based on what they happen to have lying around.

The cynic in me wonders if they've just done the maths and decided it's cheaper to replace a certain number of books each month rather than using more expensive packaging for everyone.

IndigoPrime

I noticed no change in packaging here. Both books were shrink-wrapped and placed in a thinnish card sleeve that was taped tight. As ever, the package on the way to be got bashed on a corner, leading to some corner crushing on one book, but not to the point I'll ask for a replacement. (I've had worse from Amazon and others.)

Mardroid

The packaging was better in that it wrapped all the way around. Last time there was a gap, although it was taped over to be fair.

I've been pretty lucky with the contents though. I think there has been slight creasing to the corner near the spine but nothing I could be bothered returning.

Is this the kind of damage others are referring to, or something much more extensive?

I'm really enjoying Shimura.  I've read most of these stories before but I seem to have forgotten a lot of the stuff in them so it's almost like a fresh read. 

I totally get people's complaints concerning working out what's going on though.  It's particularly confusing in the first (and I think second) storie where you jump between Shimura and Inaba's perspectives within the same page sometimes. There's particularly a bit where one of the bad guys appears to be killed (originally I thought by Shimura, but then it appears to be an Inaba panel) and I can't quite work out how it happened.

I do enjoy the Japanese region of Dredd's world. I quite like the Hondo City strip starring Inaba as main character in the Megazine too, although I think they overdo [spoiler]the big monsters[/spoiler].

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mardroid on 15 June, 2015, 01:26:52 PMI've been pretty lucky with the contents though. I think there has been slight creasing to the corner near the spine but nothing I could be bothered returning. Is this the kind of damage others are referring to, or something much more extensive?
Pretty much, yeah, but it depends on the level of crushing as to whether I'll put up with it. One book was smashed on the spine and two corners, and that got a replacement. One also had a gouge all the way down the back, due to being shipped with a badge in the box. Otherwise, the odd ding is to be expected with stuff that's gone through the post.

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 June, 2015, 01:39:00 PM
Pretty much, yeah, but it depends on the level of crushing as to whether I'll put up with it. One book was smashed on the spine and two corners, and that got a replacement. One also had a gouge all the way down the back, due to being shipped with a badge in the box.

Yeah that level of damage should not be put up with.

Arguably no level of damage should really be put up with... but for minor creasing I just can't be bothered, even though I understand they don't require you to return it. Which is VERY good of them, to be fair.

robert_ellis

I've never had a problem with Amazon as there over-sized packaging usually protects the corners. I reckon a third of the Hachette books have been damaged in the post. I'd insist on getting any dented books replaced just to encourage better packaging in future.

Timothy

Democracy Now has some interesting choices in it. Great that the very recent Mega City Confidential is included, but it would have been nice to see A Question of Judgement in there. Not strictly about democracy, but for me it's the start of Dredd's concerns about the system. And if I were being hyper critical there are some issues with text placement on the centre spreads being obscured by the fold. All in all though, another good book.

Apestrife

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 24 June, 2015, 07:52:44 AM
Democracy Now has some interesting choices in it. Great that the very recent Mega City Confidential is included, but it would have been nice to see A Question of Judgement in there. Not strictly about democracy, but for me it's the start of Dredd's concerns about the system. And if I were being hyper critical there are some issues with text placement on the centre spreads being obscured by the fold. All in all though, another good book.

Can't wait to read Mega City Confidential again!

What more stories are in it?

Also, are the colour pages in Revolution in colour this time around?