Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Is 1st series of Preacher good to watch? As it for £10 on iTunes.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Goaty on 29 August, 2017, 10:55:45 PM
Is 1st series of Preacher good to watch? As it for £10 on iTunes.

Take Amazon Prime for a month at £9 (or get a trial, if they do one) and watch both the first and second series?

I liked both. A lot.
Lock up your spoons!

Smith

Kamen Rider Kuuga is done.Still a pretty repetative middle part,and by that I mean the last 40 episodes.Different forms are a nice touch.
Also done with Tru Calling.Still the same as I remember it.Canceled too early. :(

Hawkmumbler

One of those shows I feel will be lost on fellow UK viewers, but Kolchak the Night Stalker is genuinely a wonderful little series. Half way through it's 20 episode run and it's influence on Nu-Who and The X-Files is evident.

Professor Bear

I'm watching that at the moment, and 1970s Chicago is as much a part of the show as Kolchak himself - it's almost like the world we live in, but unmistakably not.
I'd suggest checking out the dreadful early 2000s remake starring Stuart "I have never been in anything good not even accidentally" Townsend purely for morbid curiosity: its only value as a brand was with people already heavily into sci-fi/geek culture, but this was before the geeks won the culture wars and assimilated the mainstream, so it never got the attention or care necessary to appeal beyond the converted and was almost instantly forgotten.  Although it does feature the earliest instance that I can recall of that gimmick where the character's thoughts are realised onscreen with words and images (because the character is a reporter, so he sees things as headlines and photos) - later made popular by the movie and tv show versions of Limitless before being run into the ground by the BBC's increasingly irritating Sherlock.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 September, 2017, 08:47:42 PM
I'm watching that at the moment, and 1970s Chicago is as much a part of the show as Kolchak himself - it's almost like the world we live in, but unmistakably not.
So very, very much true. The show runners really tried to make the extra effort to get the most out of the suburban environment, everything from the sleazy cinema and massage parlours stalked by Jack the Ripper to a shining new hospital housing it's own Eldritch Abomination. Really fantastic stuff.

Tiplodocus

Just finished Season 1 of OZARK.

That was great. Jason Bateman's thinking face gives very little away, letting you interpret his reactions and emotions just from how long it takes him to harumph  and the actions of others around him.

And there's plenty of great examples of "enter the scene as late as you can and leave it as early as possible" in the writing and direction.

Great supporting cast and some good rug pulled from under you moments.

I didn't spot the thing with the title card until about five episodes in so now want to rewatch  those episodes to spot the little icons.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Smith

That actually sounds interesting.Im going to have to check it out.

Smith

Finished season 1 of Ozark.Between keeping the family together and hiding money in the walls,this does bring Arrested Development to mind.
Breaking Bad inspiration is also obvious,but thats not a bad thing.

Mardroid

Recently finished new series of Gotham. Largely pretty good. It felt more like 2 or 3 series than one though.

I'm also watching Falling Skies on Netflix. I remember when it was first advertised, although I never watched any back then. All of a sudden there appear to be several series! Has it really been that long?

Anyway, very enjoyable. Generally decent characters, although one or two irritate me. I love the alien designs, particularly the skitters. The Mechs are cool, too, giving a minor The Tripods/War of the Worlds feel*.

*Albeit these are bi-pods, much smaller and easier to kill. They're a very cool design though.

Mattofthespurs

Late to the show, I know, but just finished all 8 episodes of Stranger Things on Netflix.
Man, this was a fun show. I grew up, like most of us I guess, in the 80's and the soundtrack and all the 'easter eggs' were fun along with a very strong cast.
Looking forward to season 2.

Keef Monkey

Now that season 2 is on Netflix, all I want to watch every night is The Expanse, forever and ever.

Smith

Nearing the end of season 2 of Gargoyles,and its still as great as the first time I watched it.But the world tour arc lasted way too long.

Smith

After a long while,I started season 5 of Doctor Who.Im not feeling it so far,I must say.

Hawkmumbler

So I wrapped up Kolchak The Night Stalker some time ago, and for what it is, it's cult statues is very much justified. Episodic horror ballads, with some solid to superb stories (The Energy Eater in particular is superb sci-fi) with McGavern giving us one of Horrors most charismatic leads. Really, very highly recommended.

Speaking of Doctor Who, felt compelled to give Season 7 (1970) a rewatch, half way through The Silurians and you know what? This might be the perfect Who season.