Main Menu

SPOILERS! 1327 and Megazine

Started by Leigh S, 10 February, 2003, 06:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

here is my opinion on tooth

dredd: whoa colur me shocked i knew about the mutant thing but i didn't realise it was the bone guy and his muties from out of the undercity does this mean we'll see prager back?!?

bek and kawl: nope not my thing either sadly

v.cs yes its back yes excellent love it

dante; good another flashback and dante and mum reunited

future shock: nice story gary although i saw it coming

Proudhuff

"But wouldn't it have been so much better if they'd followed Floyd Kermode's advice in the letters column this week and concentrated more on the stuff about ancient old union disputes?"

GR why can't we have both?

The Committee.
DDT did a job on me

paulvonscott

I also assumed he meant Princess Di, it seems the obvious candidate for this sort of puncturing of image.  If I was a millionaire, I could travel the world looking sad and letting charities use my name :....(  I think to say Mills is motivated by hatred is a bit lazy, he said he was angry at the hypcrisy he'd discovered.

Pat may not be able to sue Rebellion, perhaps he could, Morrison is in the courts but either way it barely seems the point Oddboy, why upset one of your greatest contributers over a piece of fan fiction?  Not exactly good business.

Who was the rectally challenged (what the hell does that mean anyway Pat, someone who has had bowel cancer?) writer?  Could it be...

Oddboy

Think you mis-understood some of what I said there PVS, but not to worry...
I was saying that Pat couldn't sue Zarjazz, (not Rebellion) because it would be up to Rebellion to take the action.
'Hatred' might seem too strong a word, but doing something from anger is a form of hatred surely?
Especially as the reason was hypocracy, which was my point - he's nicked someone's real character & done bad things to them but he complains when someone else nicks his made-up character in homage.
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

Sorry I misread that bit Oddboy, I thought it was weird thing to say, and of course you didn't.

He's taken a real person (albeit dead) and used her as a character in his book, so what, he did it with torquemada, it's not stealing anything and I don't see how it's hypocritical.

People who protest against something that makes them angry don't have to be motivated by hatred.  I think that's just word play, you could equally say Ghandi was motivated by hatred.

I find it odd that people seem so angry about not having the right to write the adventures of a character which they didn't create, have never written and don't own.

GermanAndy

My two cents *g

Prog:
Dredd: What can I say, I just like this tale. Great artwork, great writing.

Bec&Kawl: Sorry, not for me.

The V.C.S : Nice One.

Terror Tales: It was okay, I guess, nice art though.

Dante: as good as ever.

MEG:

So Alan Barnes likes Morrisons Doom Patrol and Master of Kung Fu? A man after my heart.

Dredd: well, this was rather blah. What was the point exactly?

Black Siddha: this is dull. Can?t get into it. And Davis? artwork isn?t for me.

Family: if they keep introducing new characters at this rate, you?ll need a scorecard by part 6. But it is much better than Bendatti Vendetta.

Slaine: so this is the Slaine of old? I still don?t get what is so great about this series, guess you had to be there in the past. But the kitchen sink approach to the story is amusing.

Darkie?s Mob: Great Stuff.

T.P.O: as good as always. Actually the first thing I read. this will be missed.

Juliet November: this is nice. Grant still does deliver.

Incoming: Yes and No. Interesting to see what is coming, but the prospect of a month or longer of Bec&Kawl, Avatar II AND Tales of Tel. is dire indeed. And Ennis writes Dredd. Hopefully this is better than Helter Skelter. For a newbie like me this was rahter impenetrable and read like FanFiction.

Devlin Waugh: this is good.

SinDex: if only they were always this short.

All in all, somewhat weaker than the last ones.

Oddboy

Hatred will always follow anger if you listen to Yoda... whatever the word you chose, it means -ve rather than +ve.

I still reckon using a real person's character is more suspect then using a fictional one... even if the laws don't cover this.

Anyway I don't care if Pat is right or wrong as long as he makes Books II & III entertaining.

paulvonscott

Well, as we are all negative about things, it's not a hanging offense is it Oddboy, you're post was negative I wouldn't say you were inspired by hate

As for using real people as characters in books, either as themselves or to parody them, then you could kiss a good section of Dredd and literature away in one fell swoop.

Anyway, yes, looking forward to books II and three myself.

paulvonscott

I've red the rest of the meg and AD now.

I'm not convinced by Family or Black Siddha yet.

I think Juliet November is good stuff, fairly light hearted dredd, something a bit different, actually surprised by Dredd turning up, maybe this was just short sightedness on my part.

I've read the B&K, still doesn't for anything for me, so I'll just skip it next time along with the sin dex.

chrisr

My thoughts on this week 2000ad

Judge Dredd/Aliens: Nice slow build up on the story and the arts great.

Bec and Kawl: Fantastic art (the double page spread was a stand out) and an amusing if slight story, looking forward to seeing more of them next week and in the future!

V.C.s: OK story and not great art that rock texture was used far too much!

Terror Tales: Nice art way better than his stuff on Caballistics. Very reminiscent of Sean Phillips stuff. Nice little story.

Dante: Enjoyable but not exactly edge of the seat.

The standard is much higher recently and long may it continue:)

ukdane

What was the point of the Cupid Stunt tag line on this months Meg?

Yes I DO realise what happens if you say it too quickly. Just seemed childish and irrelevant to me!
Cheers

-Daney

Quirkafleeg

GordonR

>>I still reckon using a real person's character is more suspect then using a fictional one... even if the laws don't cover this.

What about Zenith Phase II, with a slimy millionaire who didn't look at all like Richard Branson?

Or my 'Big Lie' Dredd story, featuring a slimy revisionist historian called 'Irving Dirving'?

Happens all the time, Odd.  Some targets deserve it.

Oddboy

Gah!
I'm not saying writers shouldn't do it!!!
I'm saying that Mr Mills shouldn't complain so much about fanfic!

Hmm here's a stick.  Which end shall I take hold of?

Oddboy gives up on this topic, as he really doesn't care about it

The Monarch

canon fodder too has tons of real life people (albiet dead ones in it)

but anyhoo meg

dredd: its just an excuse to see gibson the master at drawing gorgous women drawing err gorgous women

family: i'm slowly warming to it

siddah: i hate it i ---ing hate it

slaine: see above i just don't like slaine

darkies mob the highlight of the meg

t.p.o: the other highlight of the meg

november: not bad at all

waugh: hey devin does something cool!!

letters page thats it i'm bloody changing my name to floyd kermode maybe then i'll get a letter printed oh scojo beh

sindex: what is this except space filler nuff said