Main Menu

UFOs

Started by Aaron A Aardvark, 07 August, 2010, 10:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: House of Usher on 08 August, 2010, 01:41:39 PM
The reason I cannot keep an open mind about beings from outer space visiting our planet is that aliens would be limited by the same physical constraints we face ourselves regarding space travel: a vast interstellar gulf of space to cross, the improbability of achieving faster than light travel, the vast amounts of energy needed to sustain space flight at any kind of a worthwhile speed, and the sheer volume of supplies a vehicle would have to carry to sustain a crew for travel over the long periods of time necessary to travel from one star to another.

Enthusiasts of the implausible would say that you only need to imagine aliens that have invented a faster-than-light drive or some means of creating and utilising worm-holes, and a way of producing unlimited energy for free, who don't eat, and who have a vastly greater lifespan than our own. That's four major 'ifs' right there.

One shortcut is to just say the aliens are magic in some way that means they don't need to have invented anything to get them about. They might be giant space whales that can 'see' worm holes and fly through them, or they might be super-evolved beings made of pure energy who no longer have need of physical bodies, a bit like angels, for whom time and distance mean nothing.

Then you just have to solve questions like why they should be so interested in our world that they keep coming back and why they should deliberately keep the public unaware of their existence.

What if they could bend time and use that as a source for travelling ?
Never rub another mans rhubarb

vzzbux

Dimension jumping is the way forward.
The only way for interstellar travel would be to download your concious into a machine or store it onto a chip and on approach to destination down load it into cloned replica's on oneself.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

Quote from: JudgeGumpty on 08 August, 2010, 08:53:26 PM
What if they could bend time and use that as a source for travelling ?

Cheating.

Quote from: vzzbux on 08 August, 2010, 08:59:29 PM
Dimension jumping is the way forward.

Also cheating.

Quote from: vzzbux on 08 August, 2010, 08:59:29 PM
The only way for interstellar travel would be to download your concious into a machine or store it onto a chip and on approach to destination down load it into cloned replica's on oneself.

That's viable, but what do you get out of it? You'll be long dead on your homeworld by the time your duplicate arrives. It won't be able to get back home again to report back to you (but you died a thousand years ago anyway), and your consciousness downloaded onto a chip isn't you, it's just a recording of you, effectively a new A.I. person that knows how to whistle your greatest hits.
STRIKE !!!